Author Topic: Adoption record.  (Read 483 times)

Raystephenson

Adoption record.
« on: August 05, 2019, 11:18:10 AM »
Can a family member have access to an adoption file after all parties have died. Adopters and the adoptee?

Elwyn

Re: Adoption record.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 12:33:33 AM »
     I put your question to the Deputy Registrar of GRONI at a public talk tonight. The short answer is no. The only person who can obtain access to the adoption papers and the original birth certificate is the adoptee. If they have died then the file is closed forever. No-one else can have access. Apparently itís enshrined in the current legislation on registering births etc in NI.

Elwyn

Raystephenson

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 07:47:15 AM »
Hi Elwyn, Thanks so much. The other question would be. If the person is still alive, how would they obtain a copy of the record?

Elwyn

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 09:30:55 AM »
I think the answer is they contact GRONI and ask for a copy of the original birth certificate. I think that then kicks off a process whereby Social Services become involved and meet the applicant before the information is given out. GRONI will know. GRONI don't hold the adoption file, just the original and adoption certificates. However they should normally have the details or where and when the adoption was authorised etc.
Elwyn