Author Topic: Farewell Harland and Wolff  (Read 2294 times)

Bigali

Re: Farewell Harland and Wolff
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 09:11:19 AM »
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

syriana

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2019, 10:19:27 AM »
I was reading a story about H&W in one of the English broadsheets last week. Our Belfast shipyard was described as once being 'The Engine Room of the Empire'.  As an East Belfast person that description makes me proud but I also appreciate that the word 'Empire' will send one or two posters on here into paroxysms of rage.  I also acknowledge that sometimes Catholics were not treated well in 'The Yard' in years gone by - and as a result - there may be a little schadenfreude out there in the Catholic community at the recent demise of H&W.  Que Sera Sera. 

There was no bigotry in our house and I am incredibly sad over the yard's closure.  I was born, bred and buttered in the shadow of The Yard - it once defined my little community.  The stories, the characters, the rumble of sardined humans emanating from the pubs on payday Friday and the H&W poker which appeared in everyone's hearth.  However, there is a shipyard legacy - the Titanic theme has become a huge tourism draw which is benefiting everyone in Belfast.
The Truth is a Lie Which Hasn't Been Found Out.

gray_marian

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2019, 11:43:35 AM »
I was reading a story about H&W in one of the English broadsheets last week. Our Belfast shipyard was described as once being 'The Engine Room of the Empire'.  As an East Belfast person that description makes me proud but I also appreciate that the word 'Empire' will send one or two posters on here into paroxysms of rage.  I also acknowledge that sometimes Catholics were not treated well in 'The Yard' in years gone by - and as a result - there may be a little schadenfreude out there in the Catholic community at the recent demise of H&W.  Que Sera Sera. 

There was no bigotry in our house and I am incredibly sad over the yard's closure.  I was born, bred and buttered in the shadow of The Yard - it once defined my little community.  The stories, the characters, the rumble of sardined humans emanating from the pubs on payday Friday and the H&W poker which appeared in everyone's hearth.  However, there is a shipyard legacy - the Titanic theme has become a huge tourism draw which is benefiting everyone in Belfast.

Well said syriana, that's the pragmatic view and most I believe would agree with you, unfortunately there are a few who did not benefit from a similar upbringing.

jillyfred

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2019, 12:02:17 PM »

Leaving aside politics and cultural differences as both sides have their own views.
It was once the biggest Shipyard in the World.

Over the years I have seen so many manufacturing industries and skilled trades lost and gone
forever. Many millions have suffered because of this.
Progress ,modern methods,competition and recessions have all come at a heavy loss to our Society
in general.

H & W`s fate is to my mind a very sad ending to a part of our History.
IMHO as always.

jilly

JackM

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2019, 01:33:23 PM »
Well said syriana, that's the pragmatic view and most I believe would agree with you, unfortunately there are a few who did not benefit from a similar upbringing.

O0 O0
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

Number26

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2019, 05:49:52 PM »
Unite the union....calling former and retired yard workers,you are needed this sunday11 august at 12noon.main gate....facebook.com/jw8films/video...all welcome :clapping:

Dargan

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2019, 06:27:41 PM »
The fabulous, haunting sounds of ship manufacture used to drift across to us on the North Shore late at night whilst abed. The memory will always remain with me. As regards the bigger picture: I reckon that just about everything that sustains oridnary people and their ordinary lives is under attack these days, one way or another. It wouldn't surprise me if ships become obsolete or simply the prerogative of the rich. A pound to a pich of crap they'll find a way of busting us ship-users to the ranks. Maybe there's a longer term goal in the decimation of all these industires. It would be great if a huge swell of ordinary people could reverse the decision to shut the yard down. As for the religious notion of karma: what came first, the chicken or the egg? Was karma floating around the void before some wicked act got it all fired up? All that religious claptrap is pure jivin'. Regards.
Thanks for the play, Australia. Make it Radio Black Spot next time.

princess44

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2019, 07:21:15 PM »
Only bigot people would bring religion into this SAVE OUR SHIPYARD shove the politics

Joe Kerr

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2019, 08:18:02 PM »
Only bigot people would bring religion into this SAVE OUR SHIPYARD shove the politics

What’s your solution Princess? There’s 130 people would like to know. Here’s a pointer or two

Men have to have work to do
What can 130 workers build?
Where is the work? Not where there might be work.
Is there a continuity of work?
There is competition (that means your price must be best)
Will it make a profit?
Will you put a couple of grand into the fund to start the ball rolling without any guarantee of getting your money back

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2019, 08:48:55 PM »

Ah well. less workers to pay the massive Income Taxes , to pay the largest % of " Benefit Recipients " in the U.K        Karma indeed  :(
Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

JohnKelly

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2019, 03:42:16 AM »
Given the modern massive ships that currently sail the oceans that had to be built somewhere, I'm wondering why H and W did not win any of these contracts.

The Australian Government called for international tenders to design and build 12 submarines worth billions of dollars, the contract was awarded to the French; did H and W submit a tender?

JackM

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2019, 12:47:34 PM »
Given the modern massive ships that currently sail the oceans that had to be built somewhere, I'm wondering why H and W did not win any of these contracts.

The Australian Government called for international tenders to design and build 12 submarines worth billions of dollars, the contract was awarded to the French; did H and W submit a tender?

Most ships are now built in China. H & W never built subs, no expertise in doing so.  :)

H & W were badly let down by the last labour government.  :(

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjrh7nv3PXjAhVqmuAKHZG5ATAQFjABegQIABAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2000%2F03%2F11%2Fbusiness%2Fbelfast-shipyard-loses-bid-to-build-queen-mary-2-and-many-jobs.html&usg=AOvVaw30GlEinR_4dv-1igyS8M8y
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

Billy Fish

Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

Billy Fish

Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

tours

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2019, 11:01:37 PM »
H & W was more than just a factory to Belfast.

It was part of the fabric.

When I was a kid at the local secondary school it was presented as one of few options.

The history is largely one of hard men grafting to afford a life and raise a family in cramped terraced housing.

I recall a friend of mine in Belfast.

His old man worked in the shipyard all his life.

Something like 50 yrs and not one day sick. He took real pride in that.

On retirement, the poor guy didn't know what to do with himself.

He spent his pension pot doing up the little terraced house, making it nice. He did a lot of the work himself, keeping himself busy.

Then one night, after watching the football on telly with his son, he took himself off to bed.

A couple of hours later, his son went to bed and found him hanging from the stairs.

I remember at his small funeral little mention was made of his hard work and nothing was said about him never having a day off sick.
God Bless him. RIP