Author Topic: Molly Seaton Footballer  (Read 544 times)

SteveB

Molly Seaton Footballer
« on: August 06, 2019, 04:48:44 AM »
Hi. My name is Steve and I recently had a superb article printed in the Belfast Telegraph about Big Molly and the Linen Girl footballers back in the 1920s and 1930s.
Could anyone help with photos or other info?
The info on a previous post was very helpful.
I would just like to clarify that she was exceptionally tall for a women footballer of those days. I estimate her to have been about 5ft 10in. In the pic she is stood next to Carmen Pomies who was the same height as Lizzy Ashcroft (my granny) and Lily Parr at 5 ft 8in. Exceptionally tall for womem of that time.
Thanks
Steveb[size=78%]

Jimmy Patterson

Re: Molly Seaton Footballer
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 06:32:58 AM »
Steve mary ann aka big Molly was 6 foot tall. She played for men's teams as well as womens teams and was captain of ireland.

roycraw.

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 08:32:28 AM »
Hi. My name is Steve and I recently had a superb article printed in the Belfast Telegraph about Big Molly and the Linen Girl footballers back in the 1920s and 1930s.
Could anyone help with photos or other info?
The info on a previous post was very helpful.
I would just like to clarify that she was exceptionally tall for a women footballer of those days. I estimate her to have been about 5ft 10in. In the pic she is stood next to Carmen Pomies who was the same height as Lizzy Ashcroft (my granny) and Lily Parr at 5 ft 8in. Exceptionally tall for womem of that time.
Thanks
Steveb[size=78%]
  hi SteveB,   molly lived in our street ( dandy street)  i remember her as a very tall woman and us kids were a wee bit afraid of her because she looked 'different'  i am ashamed of that now for she gave us no reason to avoid her, mind you as i learned in later years: if you crossed her on the footy field or even when she was refereeing you had every right to be afraid.      cheers  roy c.

SteveB

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 10:06:35 AM »
Hi Roy
Thanks. Gradually building a picture. I have unearthed a team photo from 1927 of the series against Rutherglen. To our eyes the teams look like schoolgirls (some were..) and absolutely tiny, except for Big M. I came across an article where the visiting French side were upset at the level of physicality. Tough those Belfast women!
Steve

roycraw.

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 12:42:15 PM »
Hi Roy
Thanks. Gradually building a picture. I have unearthed a team photo from 1927 of the series against Rutherglen. To our eyes the teams look like schoolgirls (some were..) and absolutely tiny, except for Big M. I came across an article where the visiting French side were upset at the level of physicality. Tough those Belfast women!
Steve
   hi there SteveB,   i'll get my old head working and bring back to my mind some of the tales i heard about molly a long time ago,  but i do remember that she had a niece called joe seaton who lived in the same house in dandy street and posted about her in 2009,  if you do a search of joe you might get something out of that.     cheers   roy  c.

getzls

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 04:30:35 PM »
She's buried in Greencastle.
Photo on Find a Grave.

floral

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 07:18:49 PM »
Mollie worked with my late mum in the mill but I was always afraid of her, she was very tall