Author Topic: Cunninghams from Kitchener Street, Donegall Road/The Village  (Read 1922 times)

BelfastGal2019

Re: Cunninghams from Kitchener Street, Donegall Road/The Village
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2019, 01:35:33 PM »
Sorry I can't help with my aunt Susan's maiden name but Neeson could be right thinking back sixty years. They had fairly large family.

Jacqueline, Robert, who lost foot in a train accident. And twin boys Lindsay and ? 

The older girls I can't remember their names.

We must be related somehow. It's very sad that Susan and Robert died so young. Their grave at the City Cemetery is unmarked apparently, but I'm going to try to locate it when I visit. I'll also make a trip to see the grave in Dundonald Cemetery too.

Cunner

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2019, 05:54:54 PM »
Hi BelfastGal, my father was William J. Roberts brother. The last time I seen any of Roberts family was at his funeral, I was fifteen then. Inside two weeks my uncle died, my brother got married, I left school and started work. I moved to Canada in 1968 my father passed away in 1971. He kept in touch with Roberts family until after Susan passed away. In which way are you related ? You got the names right and Winston was the other twin. Keep in touch!
                             cunner     

Loneygrandchild

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2019, 03:49:57 AM »
I'm struggling with Robert Robinson Cunningham's wife.  I know he married a Susan Barr in St. Anne's Cathedral Belfast on Christmas Day 1929, that she was the daughter of James Barr a labourer, and that the then residence was 46 Baker Street. Susan's reported age at death would place her birth year c. 1908 and the only one I could find so far is a daughter to James Barr and Susan Neeson, as in the following:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1908/01658/1661258.pdf

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Smithfield/Bow_Street/185343/

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1901/10315/5755106.pdf

But there's nothing else yet to tie these folk in more conclusively, so just to note as a possibility.

The address 23 St. James Park connects the Neeson/Barr family to the Cunningham family.
LGC
Dempsey Rooney McGivern Nolan Hughes O'Neill Bogue O'Hara Boyle Madden Donnelly Downey Fegan Foster Farr Sheils McCormack Gracey Gallagher McDowell

Cunner

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2019, 09:35:38 AM »
Hi Belfastgal, Just sent you a P/M hope you receive it.
                                                                              cunner   

CMcG

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2019, 10:07:21 AM »

The address 23 St. James Park connects the Neeson/Barr family to the Cunningham family.
LGC

Thanks LGC, I couldn't find any better possibility for Susan Barr's parents, but didn't understand the connection through Robert McGuinness and Ellen Barr for that address, so good to know.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

BelfastGal2019

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2019, 12:23:00 PM »
Thanks LGC, I couldn't find any better possibility for Susan Barr's parents, but didn't understand the connection through Robert McGuinness and Ellen Barr for that address, so good to know.

Thank you for all your help CMcG. I thought my original post would have produced one or two vague, "I think I remember the son or was it a brother" kind of responses. I could never have envisaged such a detailed and thorough instant family history. I've read and reread all of the material and have written out notes just to understand it all properly!

When I posted about Susan Barr/Neeson there was no response. So I thought that's that! But when I searched forum there was plenty! I've made a few connections on both sides of the family, so a very sincere and heartfelt thank you CMcG.

CMcG

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2019, 12:41:37 PM »
No problem, you're welcome.  :)

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

BelfastGal2019

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2019, 11:02:03 PM »

Is there any sensible way to trace William John Cunningham's family in Killyleagh? I've found some Cunninghams in Killyleagh (the village and the parish) but I can't find a link between them or WJ. Would the parish records be the next step?

Given the name of one of the sons in the above 1911 census return, it seemed likely to me that the Thomas Dickson Cunningham in the following 1898 marriage was a brother of the William John Cunningham who married Mary Elizabeth Herron:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1898/10432/5798551.pdf

Thomas' age in the above marriage registration places his birth c. 1879, sure enough, here is the birth registration confirming his parents as William John Cunningham (sailor) and Ellen Burns:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1879/02899/2062125.pdf

Going back to the William John Cunningham who married Mary Elizabeth Herron, the above 1911 census return places his birth c. 1872 in Killyleagh, once again, here is the birth registration showing parents as William John Cunningham (sailor) and Ellen Burns of Killyleagh:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1873/03177/2165132.pdf

William Cunningham married Ellen Burns in Ballycarry Presbyterian Church on 17 November 1855, bachelor William was recorded as a sailor, the son of William Cunningham (also a sailor), spinster Ellen was the daughter of William Burns a labourer, both bride and groom gave their address as Ballylig townland (on the Larne Road at Magheramorne).