Author Topic: 1941 Funeral on Lord Street Belfast  (Read 243 times)

davidwilton1406

1941 Funeral on Lord Street Belfast
« on: August 07, 2019, 02:09:31 PM »
Hi all, this is my first post on the forum so apologies if I miss any forum etiquette.[/size]

My Grandmother gave me this photograph hoping I could find some information. Her father (Mr Matthew Gillespie) owned a shop on 4 Lord Street, off the Albert Bridge Road. You can see him in the doorway beside the Woodbines sign. This photograph was taken April/May 1941. It shows a grand funeral procession (or maybe two if you look in the background).

What we don't know is who the procession is for. [/size]Because of the date ([/font][size=78%]April/May 1941) we think it might be someone killed in the Belfast Blitz. At the grand old age of 89 any information would be greatly appreciated by her (and me)! Hope you all enjoy the photograph at the very least.[/size]

Kind regards,
David.

davidwilton1406

Re: 1941 Funeral on Lord Street Belfast
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 02:12:09 PM »

davidwilton1406

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 02:13:01 PM »

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 04:22:26 PM »
What an interesting photo, thank you for posting it.  :)

I think you are correct, if it was taken in April/May 1941, it may well be one of the very many funeral processions for individuals or local groups of folk who were killed in the Luftwaffe raids.  If I were a betting man, I would have to guess the aftermath of the Easter Tuesday raid in terms of probability (because of the sheer numbers, ie. some 900 killed), the following extract from the Belfast Telegraph on 19 April that year gives some sense of the scale of misery inflicted: