Author Topic: 1941 Funeral on Lord Street Belfast  (Read 1230 times)

davidwilton1406

1941 Funeral on Lord Street Belfast
« on: August 07, 2019, 02:09:31 PM »
Hi all, this is my first post on the forum so apologies if I miss any forum etiquette.[/size]

My Grandmother gave me this photograph hoping I could find some information. Her father (Mr Matthew Gillespie) owned a shop on 4 Lord Street, off the Albert Bridge Road. You can see him in the doorway beside the Woodbines sign. This photograph was taken April/May 1941. It shows a grand funeral procession (or maybe two if you look in the background).

What we don't know is who the procession is for. [/size]Because of the date ([/font][size=78%]April/May 1941) we think it might be someone killed in the Belfast Blitz. At the grand old age of 89 any information would be greatly appreciated by her (and me)! Hope you all enjoy the photograph at the very least.[/size]

Kind regards,
David.

davidwilton1406

Re: 1941 Funeral on Lord Street Belfast
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 02:12:09 PM »

davidwilton1406

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 02:13:01 PM »

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 04:22:26 PM »
What an interesting photo, thank you for posting it.  :)

I think you are correct, if it was taken in April/May 1941, it may well be one of the very many funeral processions for individuals or local groups of folk who were killed in the Luftwaffe raids.  If I were a betting man, I would have to guess the aftermath of the Easter Tuesday raid in terms of probability (because of the sheer numbers, ie. some 900 killed), the following extract from the Belfast Telegraph on 19 April that year gives some sense of the scale of misery inflicted:

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

BeJimmiedic

1941 Funeral on Lord Street Belfast
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 01:24:11 PM »
Im hoping that someone can help me and identify some of the houses in Baring street were demolished. My Great, Great Grandfather died at 134 Baring St in 1897. At the time he was staying with his sister Rebecca Hutchinson. Any information or any photos would be fantastic.

Many Thanks

Janice

Andi

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 07:43:14 PM »
My great gran lived in Newcastle Street at the time of the blitz and I believe her house may have been damaged. I think she lived at No 17 Newcastle Street. She died shortly afterwards - a few months - but I haven't ascertained yet how she died.  Can anyone elaborate on whether No 17 was damaged. Thank you  :)

sam barry

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 08:58:11 PM »
From Mary Lennon's great site: http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/

From 1943 Street Directory.

Newcastle Street
at 230 Newtownards Road

3-17. Vacant

CMcG

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 10:54:06 PM »

... I think she lived at No 17 Newcastle Street ...

Is this a possibility?

The cause of death was heart disease,  the reported age was 73.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Andi

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 05:47:50 PM »
Sam, it looks as if the property may have been unfit for living... I can't imagine so many homes lying vacant unless damaged in the blitz.

CMcG - yes that's the lady. Thank you so much! I've never seen this obituary. And I never did suss out her cause of death. I did ascertain she died at Armagh (Workhouse, I thought) but could never figure why she may have been moved to Armagh from Belfast. It has always puzzled me. I did wonder, in the wake of the Blitz, whether she was sent to Armagh because the hospitals in Belfast were full to the brim.

Thank you both so much. I really appreciate it  :-*