Author Topic: McVicker from Emily Place  (Read 1161 times)

zed073

McVicker from Emily Place
« on: August 08, 2019, 11:34:39 PM »
I'm trying to find out about a spinning mill my Mum worked in back in 1940. She lived on Emily Place that was off Great Georges St. in Belfast. Unfortunately Emily Place is no longer there because of the A12 construction.[/color][/size]
Her maiden name is Eileen McVicker her father was James and her mother was Theresa. Brothers James, Sean and Anthony. Sister Maureen(Duffy).[/color][/size]
The mill was called Whitehouse Spinning Co Ltd.
Any info would greatly appreciated.
Cheers...Brian

CMcG

Re: McVicker from Emily Place
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 08:45:51 AM »
Caution may be needed because there were two mills comprising a number of buildings spread across the local area and I have seen general references to Whitehouse Mill or Mills that are open to confusion.   

If she specifically worked in the Whitehouse Spinning Company Limited, then this was the mill located on the Old Church Road in Whitehouse (approximately where the car park of the B&Q DIY store is today), and not to be confused with the other, more extensive mill commonly referred to as "Barbour's" mill fronting onto the Shore Road and extending up the Mill Road. 

The Whitehouse Spinning Company Limited went into receivership in 1963 and was wound up the following year. 

There are quite a few bits and pieces about Barbour's at Whitehouse on this forum and the wider internet, but sadly not so much available about the Whitehouse Spinning Company Limited.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 09:00:05 AM »

... Her maiden name is Eileen McVicker her father was James and her mother was Theresa.

I can see a birth for an Eileen McVicker at 58 Great Patrick Street in 1924 and a marriage for her parents in St. Patrick's in 1923, namely James McVicker of 24 Hill Street (parents James McVicker and Mary Flynn) and Teresa Branney of 58 Great Patrick Street (parents John Branney and Maggie Cunningham).

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

jillyfred

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 02:23:43 PM »

Colin you never cease to amaze me!
I follow all your posts of discovery and find them so interesting.
Apologies for `butting in`-but just had to compliment you.

jilly

MargaretS

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 03:00:55 PM »
I'm trying to find out about a spinning mill my Mum worked in back in 1940. She lived on Emily Place that was off Great Georges St. in Belfast. Unfortunately Emily Place is no longer there because of the A12 construction.[/color][/size]
Her maiden name is Eileen McVicker her father was James and her mother was Theresa. Brothers James, Sean and Anthony. Sister Maureen(Duffy).[/color][/size]
The mill was called Whitehouse Spinning Co Ltd.
Any info would greatly appreciated.
Cheers...Brian

Emily place was a little street in between great George's st and Lancaster st at the back of st Patrick's school
The nearest mill to there was York st mill so it may have there she worked it was only one street away
There are all new housing between great George's  st and Lancaster st
Some the old streets around there  were   union place  kings  court
The crimes of the B specials the R U C the U D R and the British ARMY should never be forgotten   justice for all
no matter how long it takes

zed073

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 05:03:16 PM »

Oh wow. You are 100% on this. I never knew that much detail.
Thank you thank you thank you.
Wow!!!!!

I can see a birth for an Eileen McVicker at 58 Great Patrick Street in 1924 and a marriage for her parents in St. Patrick's in 1923, namely James McVicker of 24 Hill Street (parents James McVicker and Mary Flynn) and Teresa Branney of 58 Great Patrick Street (parents John Branney and Maggie Cunningham).

zed073

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 05:07:23 PM »

For sure it was Whitehouse. I have a photo of her with fellow workers and a sign in front of them that says Whitehouse Spinning Co. 1940.

Thanks very much for your input.

Caution may be needed because there were two mills comprising a number of buildings spread across the local area and I have seen general references to Whitehouse Mill or Mills that are open to confusion.   

If she specifically worked in the Whitehouse Spinning Company Limited, then this was the mill located on the Old Church Road in Whitehouse (approximately where the car park of the B&Q DIY store is today), and not to be confused with the other, more extensive mill commonly referred to as "Barbour's" mill fronting onto the Shore Road and extending up the Mill Road. 

The Whitehouse Spinning Company Limited went into receivership in 1963 and was wound up the following year. 

There are quite a few bits and pieces about Barbour's at Whitehouse on this forum and the wider internet, but sadly not so much available about the Whitehouse Spinning Company Limited.

zed073

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 05:09:03 PM »

Truly amazing.
I'm so grateful.

jilly

zed073

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 05:17:14 PM »

I spent the summer of 1962 living at 4 Emily Place.
I was 7 years old and can still remember riding with the coal man as he delivered coal by horse and cart.
Walking down Great Georges St. to the docks. A large piece of shrapnel sat on a mantel above my grans fireplace. It was from a WWll bomb that exploded near their house during the bombing by the Germans.

Emily place was a little street in between great George's st and Lancaster st at the back of st Patrick's school
The nearest mill to there was York st mill so it may have there she worked it was only one street away
There are all new housing between great George's  st and Lancaster st
Some the old streets around there  were   union place  kings  court

zed073

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 05:23:38 PM »
CMcG  thank you again. I've learned more today about my grandparents than I have in the last 26 years since my Mum passed away.[/size]

I'm also trying to find out where my grandparents are buried.
I'm sure it's in Belfast.
My grandfather James died in late 60's or early 70's
My grandmother Teresa died in 1977 or 1978 I think.

Cheers....Brian

CMcG

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2019, 11:41:18 AM »

jilly

Thank you Jilly.  :)

CMcG

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2019, 11:42:03 AM »

CMcG  thank you again. I've learned more today about my grandparents than I have in the last 26 years since my Mum passed away.[/size]

I'm also trying to find out where my grandparents are buried.
I'm sure it's in Belfast.
My grandfather James died in late 60's or early 70's
My grandmother Teresa died in 1977 or 1978 I think.

Cheers....Brian

Not sure where they are buried, someone reading might recognise the names and chip in.

BTW, I can also see a transcript for a baptism in St. Patrick's Belfast in 1926 for a James Arthur Mcvicker (same parents as before, James McVicker and Teresa Branney), the record has been annotated in later years to say that he married Anne Colette Pierucci in 1950 at St. George's Ottawa, Ontario.  Also a Mary Theresa McVicker was baptised in St. Patrick's in 1928 for the same parents, again the record has been annotated in later years to say that she married James Duffy in 1954 at St. Patrick's.

CMcG

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2019, 11:43:53 AM »

Here's the civil registration for the marriage in St. Patrick's in 1899 of James McVicker and Mary Flynn:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1899/10377/5778394.pdf

Their son James arrived in January 1902, here is the civil registration (he was baptised in St. Patrick's and a later annotation to his baptismal record confirms that he did indeed go on to marry Teresa Branney in 1923):
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1902/01925/1745569.pdf

James and Mary (Flynn) McVicker in 1901 and 1911:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Dock_Ward/Hardinge_Street/935990/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Court/Stanhope_Street/135607/

The above census returns indicate that Mary Flynn was born in Scotland.  As far as her husband James McVicker is concerned, the census returns indicate that he was born in Belfast c. 1881, the 1899 record of marriage for James and Mary indicated that his father was a cooper, also called James, so the following birth has to be a reasonable possibility, a son born to James McVicker (cooper) and Catherine Wilton in November 1880:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1880/02854/2045897.pdf

James McVicar with an address of Greennock Scotland married Catherine Wilton of Coleraine on 10 January 1863 in St. Patrick's Coleraine (Church of Ireland), bachelor James was recorded as a cooper, the son of James McVicar, also a cooper, spinster Catherine was the daughter of Thomas Wilton, a whitesmith.   

CMcG

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2019, 12:37:27 PM »

Here's the civil registration for the marriage in St. Mary's Belfast in 1897 of John Branney and Margaret Cunningham:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1898/10403/5788319.pdf

Their daughter Teresa arrived in September 1905, here is the civil registration (she was baptised in St. Patrick's and a later annotation to her baptismal record confirms that she did indeed go on to marry James McVicker in 1923):
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1905/01776/1698225.pdf

The year after Teresa was born, her mother Margaret (Cunningham) Branney died, her father John remarried in 1909, to an Elizabeth Hutton.

John and Margaret (Cunningham) Branney in 1901:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/St__Anne_s/Edward_Street/933534/

John and Elizabeth (Hutton) Branney in 1911:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/St__Anne_s_Ward/Patrick_Street__Great/133808/

The above census returns indicate that John Branney was born in Belfast c. 1878 and that his mother (present in both returns) was called Sarah Jane, the 1897 record of marriage for John and Margaret indicated that his father was a sailmaker, also called John, so the following birth has to be him, a son born to John Branney (sailmaker) and Sarah Jane Tumelty in March 1877 (I say 'has to be him', because on top of everything, the corresponding 1877 baptismal record (his full name was John Timothy Branney) for St. Patrick's Belfast contains a later annotation to confirm that he went on to marry Elizabeth Hutton in 1909):
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1877/03014/2104341.pdf

John Branney of Edward Street married Sarah Jane Tumelty of 21 Edward Street in St. Patrick's Belfast on 24 August 1874, the 2 fathers were recorded as Daniel Branney and John Tumelty.

zed073

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2019, 01:53:04 PM »

Thank you so much for all your help.
This has been quite amazing and much appreciated.  :)

Cheers....Brian

Not sure where they are buried, someone reading might recognise the names and chip in.

BTW, I can also see a transcript for a baptism in St. Patrick's Belfast in 1926 for a James Arthur Mcvicker (same parents as before, James McVicker and Teresa Branney), the record has been annotated in later years to say that he married Anne Colette Pierucci in 1950 at St. George's Ottawa, Ontario.  Also a Mary Theresa McVicker was baptised in St. Patrick's in 1928 for the same parents, again the record has been annotated in later years to say that she married James Duffy in 1954 at St. Patrick's.