Author Topic: Help with lookup  (Read 281 times)

Cassini

Help with lookup
« on: August 13, 2019, 12:19:47 PM »
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can do a look up for me as i've hit a bit of brick wall with my family history research.

Looking for a birth record for Daniel Mullan born 1847, baptised in Cushendun RC Parish with Father name Thomas Mullan. I know its not a lot to go on, but i only have the marriage certificate of Daniel which states the year of birth and just the grooms fathers name. So i'm hoping i can get a mothers name from birth certificate and then go from there to find the marriage record.

According to irish ancestors, most of the records for cushendun online only go back to 1848 but it does seem to indicate RootsIreland.ie has baptismal records 1834 - 1900 but unfortunately i dont have access to that site but hoping someone who has might be able to run a search for me and see if theres anything even there for him. Would be very much appreciated.

pflanagan132

Re: Help with lookup
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 01:43:04 PM »
Hi Cassini. I have access to RootsIreland, but unfortunately there is no baptism for a Daniel Mullen in Cushendun at that time. I searched all of Co. Antrim from 1842 to 1852. There were 7 David Mullen and McMullens baptised during that period, but none with the father's name Thomas. In fact, an all-Ireland search for a Daniel with father Thomas yielded nothing.
If anybody wants me to do a search of RootsIreland for them, I will gladly do so. I appreciate lots of help I got on this Forum in the past.

Cassini

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 03:15:26 PM »
Hi Cassini. I have access to RootsIreland, but unfortunately there is no baptism for a Daniel Mullen in Cushendun at that time. I searched all of Co. Antrim from 1842 to 1852. There were 7 David Mullen and McMullens baptised during that period, but none with the father's name Thomas. In fact, an all-Ireland search for a Daniel with father Thomas yielded nothing.
If anybody wants me to do a search of RootsIreland for them, I will gladly do so. I appreciate lots of help I got on this Forum in the past.

Hi pflanagan132 thanks for checking that - did you search with Mullan with an EN? As it was AN - not sure if that makes a difference? Though to be fair it seems mispelt one way or another throughout - in fact the marriage record has it as EN. Also just noticed it was 1843 not 1847 I've mixed the year up.

Groom's Name: Daniel Mullen [/font][/color]
Groom's Birth Date: 1843 [/font][/color]
Groom's Birthplace: [/font][/color]
Groom's Age: 26[/font][/color]
 [/font][/color]
Bride's Name: Isabella Mckillip[/font][/color]
Bride's Birth Date: 1847[/font][/color]
Bride's Birthplace:[/font][/color]
Bride's Age: 22[/font][/color]
Marriage Date: 05 Jan 1869[/font][/color]
Marriage Place: Cushendall, Antrim, Ireland[/font][/color]
 [/font][/color]
Groom's Father's Name: Thomas Mullen[/font][/color]
Groom's Mother's Name:[/font][/color]
Bride's Father's Name: Bryan Mckillip[/font][/color]

Tipperdarby

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 04:04:31 PM »
On RootsIreland I found a Daniel Mullen baptized on Jan 20 1840 in Kirkinriola RC Church Ballymena.
Parents were Daniel Mullen and Sarah Laverty.
Sponsors were Hugh Leggan and Mary F Donnolly

I also found a Baptism on Apr 3 1836 of a Jane Mullin....note spelling.....in the same Church to Thomas Mullin and Sarah Laverty.
Sponsors were Francis Ewart and Elizabeth Burnett

In my own research I always take note of sponsors names...it has proved useful to me at times.

I hope this helps
Eileen

pflanagan132

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 04:59:59 PM »
Hi Cassini. A search on RootsIreland throws up all spelling variations of names. It seems that records for Cushendun are not available online for that time A visit to the church to check the books may be worth doing.
The marriage shows up on RootsIreland with very little detail, no names for the bride and groom's parents. The marriage was in Moyle parish and the witnesses were Alexander Lone [ maybe Love] and Isabella McCormick.
The year of Daniel's birth is a cause of confusion. When he married in 1869 he gave his year of birth as 1843, the 1901 census suggests 1832 and his death certificate in 1907 gives his age as 78, so born 1829. Experience has taught me that the age given at death is almost always the most accurate. So Daniel would have been 40 when he married, not 26 as he said. This was quite common for people to knock a few years off their age when getting married, but 14 is stretching things!.