Author Topic: RODGERS family in Belfast  (Read 436 times)

Atomic440

RODGERS family in Belfast
« on: August 13, 2019, 04:54:15 PM »
Hi all,

This forum helped me many moons ago at getting started with my family history and I was wondering if anyone had any further information on a branch of the Rodgers family living in Belfast.

My grandmother was Rosaleen Dorrian (née Rodgers) and she was from Alexander Street West / Derby Street. Her siblings were John, Malachy, Brendan, Briege and Nora.  I don't know much about my grandmother or any of her siblings other than my grandmother moved to Canada, had my mum (Kay Dorrian) there and then moved back here to live in Alexander Street West.  Someone on these forums told me that they knew my great-uncle John Rodgers. They told me he was married to a Sophie and their son Desmond (Desi) had been murdered during the Troubles in Craigavon.  I know nothing else about any of their other brothers and sisters.

From street directories I could find out that there were potentially 2 John Rodgers living in Alexander Street West and Derby Street which I'm assuming is my great-grandfather and his son. One owned a taxi business, the other was a taxi driver.  If that's the case I don't know who the wife of 'big John', my great-grandfather would have been, and I don't know who his mother and father were.

Doing a bit more research, I found a Thomas Rodgers who lived close to these streets on Divis Street. He appears in the 1911 census where he's already 69 at that stage. He was a maker of musical instruments and he's down in street directories as far as 1924 (making him 82 at the time). He had many children. One of them was John Joseph Rodgers who lived in Halliday's Road for many years until sometime between 1932 and 1943 where he disappears from the street directories at that address. John Joseph appears in the 1911 census too and he has a son John who was 6 at the time.  I'm speculating that John Joseph's son John could be my great-grandfather, the taxi proprietor at Alexander Park West / Derby Street.  I can't jump that link though so it is just speculation at this stage.

It would be great to hear from anyone who lived in the area around Divis or who knows where I might find more info to see if I'm on the right track. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

CMcG

Re: RODGERS family in Belfast
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 02:14:59 AM »
Clutching at straws here, but there was John Rogers born in Belfast in 1909 to Peter Rogers from Co. Meath and Margaret Caffrey from Dublin, the family lived at 20 Lower Clonard Street and John went on to marry a Sophia Feenin from Alexander Street West in 1934, do you think he could be related?

(John in 1911)
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Falls/Lower_Clonard_Street/172966/

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 03:49:42 AM »
There is a marriage of a John Rogers to Kathleen Costello in St. Peter's Belfast in 1924 which might be relevant, in its favour John is described as a motor driver and Kathleen's address is given as 18 Derby Street, however I'm struggling to track John back, for it shows his address as 80 Divis Street and his father as Michael Rogers, a deceased engineer. Kathleen is shown as a hemstitcher and her father as Michael Costello, a labourer, the witnesses to the marriage were Annie Costello and Henry McKee.

In case there is any doubt about deciphering, here is the extract:

BTW, the following looks like a possibility for the Costellos in Alma Street in 1911:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Falls__Belfast_/Alma_Street/180318/

The parents in the above census return were Michael Costello and Bridget McPhilips who got married in 1900:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1900/10342/5765228.pdf

Daughter Kathleen was born in 1903:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1903/01861/1725274.pdf

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Atomic440

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 03:49:08 PM »
CMcG - you are a star!  I'm not sure the John in your first post is a relation but your second post definitely shows up some matches!

Can I ask where you found the marriage record for John Rogers and Kathleen Costello? Do you have a link/copy? These would almost certainly be my grandmother's parents. 18 Derby Street was the address my grandmother gave as her ultimate destination in an incoming passengers record from 1953 so I know she lived there. I remember being told we were related to the Costellos in some way so this makes sense. Not to mention my mother's name was Kathleen so this would explain where she got the name from (a tradition she kept as she named one of her daughters Rosaleen after her mother).

Does the marriage record for John and Kathleen name their fathers? If Kathleen's father was a Michael then I might suppose that the two Johns in the street directories (one a taxi proprietor and one a taxi driver) might in fact be the same person, not father and son.  'They' lived at 65 Alexander Street and 18 Derby Street which were on the same corner so therefore the houses were adjoined. John Rodgers is down for both addresses from the 1943 street directory.  In the 1939 street directory an 'M. Costello' is down as living at 65 Alexander Street West. Their occupation was labourer. So now I'm thinking that John and his wife Kathleen inherited this address from her father Michael?  So maybe he died sometime between 1939 and 1943?  Seems logical doesn't it?  That would mean both John Rodgers' are the same person and so John's father is non-existent at this address. If his father was indeed a Michael Rogers, then I have another line of enquiry!  Brilliant :)

Thanks a million for your help!  You've definitely shed some light on this brick wall I faced and now it all seems clearer.  For the time being anyway! :)

Would you be related at all to any of these people or are you just a good Samaritan helping someone out?

Thanks again,

Ciarán

Atomic440

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 07:18:38 PM »
CMcG - just off the back of your discovery I did more research and I've discovered a whole new line of Costellos on Ancestry.com stretching back as far as the late 18th century!  Truly amazing stuff :)  Thanks again.  That one marriage record led me to lots of other things which I'll probably be wading through for the next while.

CMcG

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 10:36:14 AM »
No, I'm not related to these folk. The 1924 marriage record is available from the NI Government website below on a pay to view basis, I am also about to  pm you:

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

As I mentioned, I think tracking John back may be challenging, no engineer called Michael Rogers with a son John is readily presenting himself in the likely timeframe and local geographical area. And the address 80 Divis Street seems to have been occupied by the McCorry family before and after the marriage, I can see no link between John Rogers and John and Catherine (McCaghley)  McCorry, so maybe John was simply boarding with them.