Author Topic: Stendhal Festival, Limavady  (Read 353 times)

stickleback

Stendhal Festival, Limavady
« on: August 17, 2019, 02:41:46 PM »

On the 50th anniversary of Woodstock, The Stendhal Festival at Limavady is now in it's eighth year.

I like the look of this music and arts festival.

It is small-scale in nice forested surroundings.

The numbers attending are very manageable, a few thousand. I imagine the numbers could rapidly grow, as it seems like a very well organised event.

It's a shame I only found out about it this morning, as it is being live streamed today from 4pm.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-49343482

Short docu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is7kbWIRg4Y

Nowhere man

Re: Stendhal Festival, Limavady
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 09:52:04 PM »
Thanks for posting this, sticky wicket. I too hadnít heard of it. Definitely interested in attending in the coming years...
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Already Taken.

Billy Fish

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 10:09:08 PM »

On the 50th anniversary of Woodstock, The Stendhal Festival at Limavady is now in it's eighth year.

I like the look of this music and arts festival.

It is small-scale in nice forested surroundings.

The numbers attending are very manageable, a few thousand. I imagine the numbers could rapidly grow, as it seems like a very well organised event.

It's a shame I only found out about it this morning, as it is being live streamed today from 4pm.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-49343482

Short docu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is7kbWIRg4Y

Pity about the artists. Lol  :D
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

stickleback

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 10:32:23 PM »
Pity about the artists. Lol  :D

You are missing the whole point there, Billy.

It doesn't pretend to be Glastonbury or Woodstock.

Camping amongst like-minded company in a beautiful setting with music and arts going on.

That is basically Woodstock in a microcosm, except the numbers are completely manageable at Stendhal and Woodstock didn't have a forest; ran out of food; ran out of medical supplies; ran out of everything aside from the paid musicians, of course. I don't know about you, but I saw literally hundreds of known bands when I was younger. I have yet to see one band perform better than their studio album, aside from George Clinton and Funkadelic in New Orleans '89. Definitely better live, if he's still going.

I get that Stendhal might just want to stay low-key and manageable. That's cool.

But the organisers have basically laid the groundwork for this to move on up, if they so wish. The nice bit being, it's their choice. Who exactly are these massive bands ? Think of the very best you can and imagine them playing with limited resources. How good are they when, without the Glasto lasers and the state of art equipment ? Drop them into the local social and ask them to compete with the bingo. Let's find out who is who. It's long overdue, these so called singer-songwriters and attendent herberts, strolling around like they are somehow special, a guitar they can barely play strapped on their back.

syriana

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 12:07:33 AM »
I just found out that Woodstock is located in Ulster County in New York State by watching the Woodstock documentary last night.  Does anyone know if it was named after our little province?
The Truth is a Lie Which Hasn't Been Found Out.

stickleback

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 12:15:29 AM »
I just found out that Woodstock is located in Ulster County in New York State by watching the Woodstock documentary last night.  Does anyone know if it was named after our little province?

I noticed that too, syriana.

Actually , the festival was not in Woodstock, but at Bethel, however, all within Ulster county.

It was an excellent documentary and anyone half interested in music should watch it on iplayer BBC4.

Recommended  ;)

Jack The Kipper

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 07:26:07 AM »

Was David Beckham there?....get cameras and you get Beckham!!!
God Bless President Trump! God Bless Israel....and God Bless Big Rosie up our street!!!

Bigali

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 07:50:56 AM »
The Danny Boy Jazz and Blues Festival in Limavady which takes place every June is also well worth a visit , I was a regular attender when I lived in the Leap of the Dog  :)
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

stickleback

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 02:29:14 PM »
The Danny Boy Jazz and Blues Festival in Limavady which takes place every June is also well worth a visit , I was a regular attender when I lived in the Leap of the Dog  :)

Yip Al, although I have not visited that one and have only visited three Jazz and Blues Festivals in my life, you can't go too far wrong with them.

There's always a sense of goodwill in that environment.