Author Topic: CHAPMAN = Belfast around DONEGALL ROAD area  (Read 414 times)

ChapmanNI

CHAPMAN = Belfast around DONEGALL ROAD area
« on: August 23, 2019, 10:13:39 PM »
Hi Iím currently researching my parental line. I was wondering if anyone knew any of the Chapman family based around DONEGALL ROAD, BELFAST. Lived in BENTHAM ST and more recently SOUDAN ST. Seemed to have been a big family back around 1911 onwards. My great-grandfather lived in 42 SOUDAN ST but died at 30 in 1935.  The Chapman family were in the Orange Order believed to be SANDY ROW and more recently BALLYNAFEIGH. Unfortunately my Grandad and dad are both deceased so I know very Little of the family history. Any information no matter how small would be amazing thank you.

CMcG

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

Re: CHAPMAN = Belfast around DONEGALL ROAD area
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 11:07:49 PM »

The GRONI website shows a William Chapman marrying an Alice Kenny on 10 May 1930 (registered Belfast), maybe relevant. Note also the following for the other grave occupant William John Chapman who died in 1952:

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 11:14:16 PM »
The GRONI website shows an Alice Chapman marrying a Frank Scott on 7 January 1938 (registered Belfast).  Note also the following for the other grave occupant Alice Maud Scott who died in 1977:

CMcG

CMcG

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 12:49:40 AM »
These folk are clearly related (I suspect that the Matilda is the same one from the 1911 census return I posted, also, look at the address for Alice):

https://dof.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialSearch.aspx?GraveSection=K&GraveNumber=169&CemeteryName=City%20Cemetery%20-%20Glenalina%20Extension

CMcG

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 12:58:39 AM »
I suspect the following birth is the William John Chapman who married Eliza Jane Kane in 1896 (yet another William Chapman):
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1875/03117/2143199.pdf

His parents William John Chapman and Alice Campbell were married in 1870:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1870/11389/8181914.pdf

I wonder if Alice was the same one buried in grave K169 of the City Cemetery Glenalina Extension that I just posted?

ChapmanNI

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 11:29:50 PM »
Thank you very much CMcG. Great research in such a short space of time. This has added some extra light to my previous research on the family. Didnít realise ElizaJane had died so young. I now must figure out who Matilda was.

May I ask what website are you using for the obituaries/death notices? Would love to see if my Grandfather left any for his mother or aunts/uncles etc.

JimG

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 09:38:59 PM »
in case its of further interest

no William Chapman in 1851 or 1861 lennonwylie
I found Two entries that made me follow up each
1868  https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/alphanames1868c.htm
Chapman, William, clerk, 131 Queen Street North possible 183 NQS as Bookkeeper 1877
Chapman, Wm. Allen, clerk, Northern Bank; res. Ballylesson

William Chapman/Chapmain bbb 1829    Writing clerk from sons church marriage church marriage details by licence  1870
children
William John Chapman a porter aged 26 in 1870  so b ~1844  m St Annes  [cathredral Belfast Co Antrim so he or Alice might have been catholic  I wonder did they have a civil marriage recorded as well fo further addresses
or under north Queen St

why Wm. Allen Chapman was ever considered to be a possible relative ?  In the St Annes original   marriage certificate  for William John  Chapman the signature for William Chapman the father  looks like someone inserting an arrow ie anĒAĒ above chapman so could  be Chapman, Wm. Allen, clerk, Northern Bank; res. Ballylesson see 1868 street directory
Wm. Allen Chapman why its not Wm. Allen Chapman
John Chapman father of Wm Allen Chapman living in Co Down 1835 it is not William as named in marriage
children
Chapman, Wm. Allen, b 1835 Co down clerk, Northern Bank; res. Ballylesson 1868 street directorysee b in  ancestryireland.com has William Allen Chapman birth 1835 co down, father John chapman  Co Down m 1862  Drumbo co down m Eliza Wilgar 22 Apr 1862
source ros Davies

Ros davies keep for later ref because of Ballylesson Drumbo
Alexander   CHAPMAN   .   Drumbo   regd. Ballylessan; husband of Eleanor Johnston; father of Elizabeth Anne b. 11 Nov 1870   CR

ChapmanNI

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 04:43:24 PM »

Hi CMcG
What website are you using for the death notices? Would really help me in my research.

Burial record:

Death notice: