Author Topic: Pay day friday  (Read 747 times)

Falls

Pay day friday
« on: September 01, 2019, 09:50:31 AM »
As a youngster Friday was 'pay day'.Anyone with memories?

jillyfred

Re: Pay day friday
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 10:27:16 AM »
In our house it was Saturday morning Falls.

jilly

Bigali

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 10:37:54 AM »
It was Saturday morning in our house and if I remember right it was 50pence which eventually went up to a pound and some of that had to be put into a school savings account and the wee book stamped, the rest I just squandered !  :D

When I got my first job at sixteen payday was on a Friday , the princely sum of £22.50 of which £10 went to my Mother for my “keep”.

Do young people still living at home still give their Mother money for their keep these days ?
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 10:48:00 AM »
Thursday in our house.  The weekly bake followed on Friday afternoon, as did the weekly purchase of some haddock from the fish van - it was dear back then as well.  The 'big shop' for groceries followed on Friday evening. And then it was a case of roll on next Thursday.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

jillyfred

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 11:05:43 AM »
Falls I thought you meant pocket money-which we called pay day in our house!!!
CMcG of course read you correctly!

jilly

CMcG

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 11:15:08 AM »
Now that you say it, maybe that's what Falls meant! :) 

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Falls

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 05:27:36 PM »
I did mean pocket money,remember going to the shop to spend whatever was in my hand.Remember a bar of caramac....mmmmmm.

jillyfred

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 04:00:58 PM »
I did mean pocket money,remember going to the shop to spend whatever was in my hand.Remember a bar of caramac....mmmmmm.
[/quote
===
Caramac Falls-loved it!
The first pocket money I can remember was Daddy giving me one shilling each Saturday morning.
This took me to the Palace Cinema for the Matinee,a Toffee Cup Bar,a bag of chips afterwards and still had a thrupenny bit left!Bought an Ice Cream Cone with it on Sunday !

jilly

Falls

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 04:17:19 PM »
Alas Jilly those days are gone.

Ballymurphygirl

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 07:19:32 PM »
We got our “ pay “ on a Thursday patiently waiting on me Da getting home from work which he usually did by 6 then it was the sweet shop for few whoppers and logs  :D a few more Bob earned  smoothing the older brothers shirt for his night out  :)  work payday for me was a Friday all £4:11 shillings of which £4 went to my mother   though she still bought my clothes n shoes back then lucky really but you didn’t open your paypacket in our house your ma did  ;) no flies on her god rest her
The truth will set you free . I support Ballymurphy & Derry families Justice for the innocent

Maisie

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 06:30:39 AM »
Spot on Ballymurphygirl!!  My first pay packet, in 1966, contained the grand sum of three pounds ten shillings which I handed to my mother unopened.  She opened it, tore it down the middle to make sure there was nothing hidden in the corner and handed me ten shillings.  I handed my unopened pay packet to my mother until I was 18 years old until we came to an agreement that I would give her five pounds a week - and keep the rest and buy all my own stuff.  It wasn't an unusual thing to do then, all my friends handed their pay packet in as well.  I think it would be unheard of today.  Probably not "Politically correct" in today's world.

Ballymurphygirl

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2019, 07:43:54 AM »
I got the best of both worlds Maisie fed clothed and shoes all for £ 4 quid s week    Though I had to get myself to work which was in town but in them days you could hap a lift home with little worry my mother died when I was 16 sadly but me and me Da agreed on £5 a week after that and he still bought me clothes and shoes by then I was off my training and earning £11 pds  a week stitching  happy days
The truth will set you free . I support Ballymurphy & Derry families Justice for the innocent

Bread Basket

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2019, 08:29:35 AM »
Friday was “Pay Day”  sixpence.... McGowans toffee, Walkers Carmel’s, Black Jacks & Fruit Salad sweets. In the summertime when the Rhubarb was in season it was straight into Grannie O’Rawes vegetable shop for a hap’ney stick of Rhubarb 🤣.

Friday night was also the night when my Father came home from “Shorts” with 2 pints of prawns from Adair’s fishmongers in York St.  all round the table like flies wolfing the prawns 👍🏼👍🏼.
Then it was round to Millers Chippy in Earl St for the Fish Suppers.

The “Pay Packets” in our house were opened only by my Mother.... on reflection she did as good a job as Mark Carney from the Bank of England.  well done Ma 🥰🥰