Author Topic: Brown Shoe Shops, looking for John Brown who started the shop in the mid 1800s  (Read 343 times)

Marian Jane

Hi,

I am new to the forum I am researching my family tree that has taken me back to a John Brown in the mid 1800s.  I know that John Brown married Hannah Bell in 1868 and that they had a daughter Margaret Jane Bell Brown in 1872.... and then I am stuck.

I was over in Belfast last weekend visiting family last weekend when an elderly relative told me that John Brown started Brown' shoes shop that were still on Lisburn Road.  So... help please any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you :)

Bigali

Hi Marian Jane and welcome to the forum , I canít help with any family history but there many forum members who are wizards at this sort of thing and Iíve no doubt if they can help they will .

When I lived on the Lisburn Road I bought all my shoes in Browns , great wee shoe shop.
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

CMcG

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

It looks like John Brown #2 (1871) and Margaret Jane Bell Brown (1872) were the only candidates for surviving children to this couple, for Hannah (Bell) Brown died from typhoid fever less than a month after Margaret was born, on 20 December 1872 at 17 Courtrai Street.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

The 1852 Belfast street directory has the following entry in the alphabetic names section: Brown, John, school master, 108 Old Lodge Road.

The 1861 directory shows this: Brown, John, school master, 160 Old Lodge Road. Which might even be the same house as there was a lot of building and re-numbering going on.

But the underlying problem is that the name John Brown is plentiful on the ground in that era, so just to note these entries until they can be ruled in or out.

JimG

to which i add  using lennonwylie I looked for Brown shoe or boot and shoe etc[/font][/size]

1819 Brown, Thomas, ladies' boot and shoe maker, 15 Weigh House Lane
1843 unsure
1852  John Street
39  Brown, John, boot and shoe maker, 39 John Street
1852 lagan village
Chas. Brown, boot and shoe maker
1852 Catherine Street North
10 Brown, John, boot and shoe maker
1852 Church Lane
9  Brown, Robert, boot and shoe shop,
1861 Hamill St off Barrack St
5 james brown shoe maker
1868  Fourth Street  off North Howard Street
49. Brown, John, shoe make1910 20 Shankill Road
20 Brown, Elizabeth, boot and shoe maker
Brown, Geo., shoe maker, 8 Cullingtree Street
Brown, Jas., shoe maker, 16 Coniston Street
Brown, Joseph, boot and shoe maker, 38 Antrim Road
Brown, Jos., shoe maker, 45 Bristol Street
Brown & Tougher, boot and shoe makers, 405 Woodstock Road
1918 Morpeth Street
47 Brown, D., shoe maker
Brown, Hugh, boot merchant, Elvedene, Wynard Park
Brown, Jas., boot maker, 12 Cairns Street
Brown, Joseph, shoe maker, 44 Hanover Street
Brown, R., boot maker, 2 Dromore Street
Brown & Tougher, boot and shoe makers, 405 Woodstock Road and 43, 45 Castlereagh Road
1932 Antrim Road  from Carlisle Circus to Glengormley
177. Brown Bros., shoe & boot merchants
Brown, E., boot and shoe merchant, 141 Ballygomartin Road
1960 Antrim Road  from Carlisle Circus to Glengormley
177. Brown Bros., shoe & boot merchants

conclusion is the shop called somethingelse ?

I switched to the Larkin near lisburn road produced
1943 Larkin, Mrs. Annie, 47 Windsor Avenue Lower off 255 Lisburn Rd
thatís off the lisburn road occupation unknown
1960 Windsor Avenue Lower
99. Brown, Mrs. K.

from the forums search engine top rhcorner Browns was a shoe shop on Donegall Rd/Roden St and then moved to Lisburn Rd..Tates Ave It sold really good shoes and think it only closed some years back..Thank you Colin LOL / Girlie
also on the search engine is Sandy Row with a reids and Browns shoe shop
Sandy Row  1951
107. McCurry, Robert & son, boot and shoe merchants
 .here is City Street
111-113. Reid, Joseph, Ltd., boot merchants
some others

thinking

Marian Jane

Thank you all, some very valuable information provided... :preved:

Marian Jane

Message to JimG
thank you so much for the information provided...  Particularly interested in the John Brown of 39 John Street.
I may have the wrong generation... it may be John's son John who started the shop.
Confusing I know but we all mainly called either John (boys ) or Mary Ann Jane (girls) in our family.  I got off lightly with the 'Marian Jane'

Where is the information from. ?..is there a data base I can investigate further please ?

I am very grateful for your help this far.