Author Topic: Looking for the family of MCCONNELL originally from Howard Street, Belfast.  (Read 285 times)

Angela C

PLEASE HELP US

We are looking for relatives of a Belfast family who we believe may be able to solve a recent mystery and lifelong search for my newly found Uncle, recently confirmed through DNA to be an unknown son to my Grandma...

An unknown half brother to my father that nobody ever knew about.

A son born to my Grandmother in 1940 after she had a relationship with a serving soldier from Belfast whilst the soldier was serving on the Isle Of Wight in 1939 with The RUR...just before WW2

The unknown son was adopted out in 1941 and nobody ever knew a thing until now !!

After some months of research we believe we have identified his father but we are looking for living family members who may be able to help us put the last pieces of our puzzle together so we can finally give my newly found Uncle the answers he deserves after growing up as an Orphan.

He is now 79 years old and has only recently seen the first ever picture of his deceased mother which we gave him on a recent meeting with him which was very emotional.

The family name is MCCONNELL and we are looking for living relatives of the following family below,  all children of WILLIAM MCCONNELL born 1876 and ALICE A MARTIN Born 1876...

Their children all now deceased were :-   ROBERT JAMES MCCONNELL Born 1910 ...THOMAS MCCONNELL Born 1910(Twin) .HUGH Born 1908.....WILLIAM Born 1906 ....ALICE Born 1902  ...MARY ANN Born 1901....MARGARET Born 1898....

We have information that the girls may have lived at Howard Street, Belfast in 1900s....

May Ann McConnell married William Bingham around 1920s....

ROBERT JAMES MCCONNELL married Annie Williamson and had a son called Robert who we think has five living children.

If anyone can help us with any information we would be extremely grateful in the final part of this very emotional search and story.

Thank you
Angela

CMcG

Re: Looking for the family of MCCONNELL originally from Howard Street, Belfast.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 03:57:49 PM »

... Their children all now deceased were :-   ROBERT JAMES MCCONNELL Born 1910 ...THOMAS MCCONNELL Born 1910(Twin) .HUGH Born 1908.....WILLIAM Born 1906 ....ALICE Born 1902  ...MARY ANN Born 1901....MARGARET Born 1898....

I don't know what you have or haven't covered in your research so far, maybe you have found and tracked forward the following births, but posting them just in case you haven't:

- Edward McConnell in 1912:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1912/01475/1600947.pdf

- Eliza Jane Rankin McConnell in 1915:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1915/01389/1571424.pdf

- Andrew Dowds McConnell in 1917:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1917/01298/1537315.pdf

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Angela C

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 04:29:48 PM »
 :-*
Thank you so much
I will add.
Any other info would be appreciated.
I have some names of living people but I wasnt sure if I could name them if they are living.
Regards
Angela

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 04:38:15 PM »
Have a look at the following marriage in St. Anne's Church of Ireland Church Belfast, it took place on 5 April 1920 between an Alice McConnell and a James McCartan of 2 Reilly Court Belfast, 20 year old Alice's address was given as 17 Howard Street, her father recorded as William McConnell a labourer and one of the witnesses was given as Maggie Jane McConnell:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1920/09255/5350637.pdf

Fast forward 6 months to 7 October 1920, when an Alice McConnell of 'Riley's Place' Belfast was baptised as 'Conv' (a convert) in St. Malachy's RC church, parents stated as William and Alice McConnell.  That was a record transcription, I can see the following transcriptions of baptismal records:

- Hugh Joseph McCartan baptised on 30 January 1921 in St. Malachy's Belfast for parents recorded as James McCartan and Alice McConnell of 22 Reilly Place, the sponsor was a Mary Delaney and the baptismal entry was later annotated to say that Hugh Joseph married Mary Ann Quinn in St. Joseph's Belfast on 31 July 1940 (the GRONI website suggests this was 31 January 1940);

- Alice Bernadette McCartan baptised on 28 February 1922 in St. Malachy's Belfast for parents recorded as James McCartan and Alice McConnell of 27 Riley Court, the sponsor was a Maggie J Delaney.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Angela C

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 04:52:57 PM »
 :-*
Thank you very much ...adding to my tree

CMcG

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 05:15:47 PM »

... I have some names of living people but I wasnt sure if I could name them if they are living.

I would name... but up to you.

Angela C

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 05:34:00 PM »
UPDATE FOR HELP

I have the names of 5 possible children born to ROBERT MCCONNELL Whos father was ROBERT JAMES MCCONNELL Born 1910  and ANNIE WILLIAMSON.

The possible children are :-     JOSEPH...DAVID...ROBERT...BRENDAN...DEIDRE MCCONNELL...All Born between 1950-1960....Belfast

It would be a big help if we could locate anyone of these people who might offer help.

I am very grateful

CMcG

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 12:16:05 AM »

... May Ann McConnell married William Bingham around 1920s....

That marriage took place in 1921, what is interesting is that Mary Ann's address was given as 17 Howard St. South:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1921/09222/5336631.pdf

That address is almost the same as that given by Alice McConnell in the registration of her marriage to James McCartan (previously posted).  In addition, the Belfast street directories available on the Lennon Wylie website list William McConnell as the occupier of 17 Howard Street South from 1924 to 1951:
https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/

Which reads across to the following burial record:
https://dof.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialRecordDetails.aspx?RecordID=6767.3508

All the occupants in that grave are as follows:
https://dof.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialSearch.aspx?GraveSection=N2&GraveNumber=401&CemeteryName=City%20Cemetery

CMcG

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 12:37:19 AM »
Three months after Alice McConnell married James McCartan in 1920, a Maggie J McConnell of 17 Howard Street South married William Delaney of 10 Rileys Place, in St. Malachy's RC Church Belfast:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1920/09266/5354875.pdf

Clearly Alice's sister, that explains the reference to 'Maggie J Delaney' as the sponsor for Alice Bernadette McCartan baptised in St. Malachy's in 1922 (mentioned at reply #3 above). 

A Catherine Delaney was born on 8 January 1921 to William Delaney and Maggie McConnell of 10 Rileys Place and was baptised the following day in St. Malachy's.

CMcG

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 12:47:19 AM »
A lot of information in the following Belfast Telegraph death notices (and various mentions of 'and Family', so potentially lots of surviving descendents):

CMcG

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 01:51:38 AM »
Then this in 1965:

The death took place at 3 Crawford Street (which matches the address in the relevant death notice in reply #9 above) and the informant of the death was Robert McConnell, son, of 20 Tullymore Drive, Andersonstown.  Simply googling that address brings back a couple of 'hits' for a haulage contractor with that name at that address, whether the following is up to date or not, I don't know:
https://findit.newsletter.co.uk/company/1109272300511233

Angela C

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 10:33:24 AM »
This information is invaluable and I can only thank you for taking the time to help us.

This will help me move forward after being stuck for some weeks!!
This is confirming our theory is correct.

I cannot leave an email address to thank you and I am trying to find my way around this forum which is complicated.

I am adding this information to my tree now then I can drop down to living relatives via Ancestry.
Thank you  :-*
Angela x

CMcG

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 12:50:41 PM »
No problem, you're welcome.  :)

jillyfred

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 01:29:35 PM »
This is the most productive Thread on the Forum.

Giving  genuine help and assistance to those seeking information and not a bad word every written unlike many other sections of the Forum.

I enjoy very much reading the Thread and a very big thank you to all who give their time and effort to make it so.

jilly