Author Topic: Travelling Around Northern Ireland  (Read 1967 times)

stickleback

Travelling Around Northern Ireland
« on: September 12, 2019, 08:56:05 AM »

I must admit, geographically, the only counties I know well are Antrim and Down.

I never felt much calling to visit the other ones.

I'm still not sure what the purpose of Tyrone is.

HarryHippo

Re: Travelling Around Northern Ireland
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 02:55:27 AM »

I must admit, geographically, the only counties I know well are Antrim and Down.

;)
Lux Et Veritas.

Bigali

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 07:55:26 AM »

I think Tyrone exists so that African Americans and Afro Caribbeans  can have something to name their male children after.
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Monkey Nuts

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 09:33:27 PM »

Well I shall try to enlighten you to what you may

or may not have missed.

First an abundance of archaeology such as Ardboe High Cross

Beaghmore stone circle all free. Take a picnic.

Loads of historic sites The Argory and Moy is nice, do ya know.

What the big pull really is Bog Snorkling a spectacle indeed.

ldugan

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 03:35:37 AM »
I think Tyrone exists so that African Americans and Afro Caribbeans  can have something to name their male children after.
History can explain your thinking  :)
We don't have to agree on anything to be kind to one another.

ldugan

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 05:24:29 AM »

Well I shall try to enlighten you to what you may

or may not have missed.

First an abundance of archaeology such as Ardboe High Cross

Beaghmore stone circle all free. Take a picnic.

Loads of historic sites The Argory and Moy is nice, do ya know.

What the big pull really is Bog Snorkling a spectacle indeed.
Great endorsement MN, :)

We don't have to agree on anything to be kind to one another.

Bigali

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 07:22:36 AM »
Emmm , some of you obviously didnít catch I was having a wee joke about Tyrone , itís a great county and I have spent many happy times there .  :)

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Ballymurphygirl

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 10:23:08 AM »

well Sb more power to your elbow if you choose not to see these places I’ve travelled to all 6 counties must say Antrims  the best in my eyes but then Again I’ve travellrd the 26 some great places there too just need to widen your eyes  :) 
The truth will set you free . I support Ballymurphy & Derry families Justice for the innocent

Ballymurphygirl

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 11:57:06 AM »
One the best places in Belfast The Divis and Black Mountains one the loveliest places to walk visit and lucky for me was on our door step in the murph great wee walks of a Sunday yo the mountain loney catching spricks frogspawn galore the natural drinking water spring and of course the beautiful bluebell fields ah yes Co Antrim at its best  :-*
The truth will set you free . I support Ballymurphy & Derry families Justice for the innocent

gray_marian

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 01:12:11 PM »
Your 2006 link was removed BMG I wonder why as I for one didn't find it in anyway offensive! Desperate yes but not offensive :)

Ballymurphygirl

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 01:17:12 PM »
Desperate  ::)  now why would I be desperate tell me please  ::)  I think you will find many posts have been removed but then again I wouldnít know why my link was offensive itís news still is  ::)  better still I wouldnít know why you would comment on a link thatís been removed  :) why donít you go and enjoy a trip round the 6 counties might help you to get out and about  :) have a nice day oh if you get the chance wee trip up the black mountain might help see the views we have from Ballymurphy  :) itís a forum you can add links get over yourself

Ballymurphygirl

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 01:24:00 PM »

Belleek, County Fermanagh
[/size][/color]
Straddling the border of counties Fermanagh and Donegal, Belleek is a lively market town on the banks of glittering Lough Erne. Home of world-famous Belleek Pottery, this is where exquisite parian china artworks are created using traditions passed down from generation to generation. Grab one of the many daily tours for a captivating insight into a world of craftsmanship that has been in operation since 1857. Take a stroll to the Gothic facade of nearby Castle Caldwell, and if youíre feeling peckish, drop into Belleek's oldest building Ė the Thatch Coffee Shop Ė for some fine local fare served with a smile.Another lovely county  to visit info for those who havenít been [/size][/color]

jillyfred

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2019, 02:06:51 PM »
Personally over the years I have spent a lot of time in every County in Northern Ireland.

Each one has its own unique character,places of interest,beauty and the `natives`are different in their own ways.
I always found them to be friendly,helpful and eager to portray information with regard to their area.Any trips I made were extremely enjoyable.

Tyrone in particular was mentioned in the Thread.
During the 1980`s and 1990`s I stayed a lot in Donemana and travelled to many parts of Tyrone.
It holds a special place in my heart.

Its often said a person is a `stranger in their own Country`.To a large degree this is true.People travel the Globe but sadly have never travelled to every corner of their own Country.

I have travelled the length and breadth of the UK and Northern Ireland over many years and would recommend it!!!
Have also travelled to many other `foreign`destinations.
Over my now many years on this Earth I can honestly say `there is no place like home``!!!

As always -just IMHO.

jilly

Bigali

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2019, 02:17:41 PM »
Personally over the years I have spent a lot of time in every County in Northern Ireland.

Each one has its own unique character,places of interest,beauty and the `natives`are different in their own ways.
I always found them to be friendly,helpful and eager to portray information with regard to their area.Any trips I made were extremely enjoyable.

Tyrone in particular was mentioned in the Thread.
During the 1980`s and 1990`s I stayed a lot in Donemana and travelled to many parts of Tyrone.
It holds a special place in my heart.

Its often said a person is a `stranger in their own Country`.To a large degree this is true.People travel the Globe but sadly have never travelled to every corner of their own Country.

I have travelled the length and breadth of the UK and Northern Ireland over many years and would recommend it!!!
Have also travelled to many other `foreign`destinations.
Over my now many years on this Earth I can honestly say `there is no place like home``!!!

As always -just IMHO.

jilly

Hear hear Jilly , thereís some lovely farmers daughters around Donemana  ;)

stickleback

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2019, 08:36:14 PM »
well Sb more power to your elbow if you choose not to see these places Iíve travelled to all 6 counties must say Antrims  the best in my eyes but then Again Iíve travellrd the 26 some great places there too just need to widen your eyes  :)

Can't argue with that, BM girl.  ;)

It would be a bit of a cop out to say I was only joking; I wasn't. I honestly don't know very much about Co Tyrone at all. You are right. That doesn't put me in a strong position to comment, but it always seemed a long way from Belfast when I was a kid and I can't say I've ever felt 'the urge' to visit it. I've probably not seen more than about eight or nine of the twenty six counties. Likewise, probably only seen about half of the English counties, although I've lived in England for 30 yrs. I did see a lot of countries abroad when I was younger, in my 'magpie' phase of life. Probably between 25-30 countries. I did those travels alone, with no financial support at all. It isn't easy to travel abroad like that, but then again, it's not hard either if you have the motivation. I was pretty much skint most of the time, living on my wits and doing all kinds of casual labour to pay for the next adventure. I didn't really appreciate the full benefits of it until I got back home. I was seeing everything familiar with 'different eyes'.

It's different nowadays, of course. I see all these tourists wandering around London and they're so busy looking at their mobile phones they might as well be back home. There were no mobile phones when I did most of my travelling; there was no internet either. It's one thing for the modern tourist to arrive, mobile phone in hand, at hotel reception. It was a bit more real to arrive alone in some offbeat town in the middle of nowhere in Mexico around midnight, for example, with very little money in the pocket and no external communication. You soon get a sense of a place when you travel like that. I don't regret a minute of it, even the hard times and the lows. It was all part of the journey.