Author Topic: Greencastle Grave  (Read 442 times)

paulmjamison

Greencastle Grave
« on: September 17, 2019, 01:59:57 PM »
I'm trying to find the final resting place of my Great Grand Mother - Catherine RITCHIE (Nee McKeown) She passed away in May 1902 (Death Certificate shows Greencastle) but the Informant to her death, John RITCHIE, her son was living in Joy Street, Belfast at the time. (The markets area)

She was originally from the Greencastle (Co Antrim) area & there is no trace of her in Milltown or any of the online Belfast City Council Cemeteries.

I just think that she may have gone back to her roots & maybe within Our lady's Acre but are there any other RC Cemeteries in that area? She Married a William Shaw RITCHIE, a Scottish Protestant but as she was a RC at birth then there's a good chance she kept her religious beliefs. The 3 sons (along with1 Daughter) of the marriage were brought up as Protestants with the other 4 daughters being Catholics ...Any assistance would be appreciated...

allymac

Re: Greencastle Grave
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 03:46:21 PM »
There is a small RC cemetery behind the Chapel at Greymount,near the bottom of the Whitewell Road in North Belfast.This is in the Greencastle area.Good luck.
Support all our servicemen and women either at home or abroad.

gray_marian

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 06:15:16 PM »
Hi, when I entered your gt,grandma's details dod, married name, etc Ancestry diverted to this link.

Name:Catherine McKeown
Cemetery:Saint Mary's Church Cemetery, Greencastle
Burial or Cremation Place:Belfast, County Antrim, Northern Ireland
Has Bio?: N
https://www.findagrave.com/mem...

paulmjamison

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 06:53:58 PM »
Allymac - thanks ever so much. This cemetery will be on my hit list the next time I visit NI. I currently reside in the Valleys of South Wales, but make regular visits back home

Gray_marian - I doubt if this is her but the fact there is a St Mary's Church Cemetery in Greencastle will give me somewhere else to research, Many Thanks

gray_marian

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 12:17:03 AM »
No worries Paul, if you can give me your gt,grandma's dob or her parents names that would allow me to eradicate the others that came up. and perhaps narrow it down for you.Marian :)

paulmjamison

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 09:46:15 PM »
gary_marian - Thanks ever so much for your assistance

From the records I've seen, she was Baptised Cath McKeon at St Patrick's RC, Donegal Street, Belfast on 12 Jun 1848 Father was Felix McKeon & Mother Cath Quin.

She Married William Shaw Ritchie as Catherine McKeown on 27 Aug 1867 at St Anne's Cathedral (Church of England & Ireland) & died 26 May 1902 shown as Catherine Ritchie

On the 1901 Census (Age shown as 51) her religion was shown as EUC Independent with a Birth Place of Co Antrim

gray_marian

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 03:07:39 PM »
Hi Paul, Had a good old root around, unfortunately even with the added family info still didn't locate any other details as to where Catherine is buried for sure. Tried via her husband's trees on Ancestry, there are several, mainly private but only found his death cert which I will forward on if required.

Only other option through Ancestry is to contact the trees who list Catherine as a family member [ 8 altogether including your own] are private too if you haven't already or via the Churchyard itself that I listed earlier, the date of burial should at least be listed in their books. which should end any speculation. Their details are as follows-

Cemetery:Saint Mary's Church Cemetery, Greencastle Burial or Cremation Place:Belfast, County Antrim, Northern Ireland
Tel No 028-9037-0845
No further info on FMP either. Sorry I couldn't have been more help. Marian

paulmjamison

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 03:31:10 PM »
gray_marian

I appreciate your help. The search continues....!

MargaretS

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 06:58:10 PM »
gray_marian

I appreciate your help. The search continues....!

Is there not a graveyard at Arthur avenue  between longlands  and Whitehall road
The crimes of the B specials the R U C the U D R and the British ARMY should never be forgotten   justice for all
no matter how long it takes

MargaretS

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 06:59:57 PM »
Longs land's   and Whitewell
The crimes of the B specials the R U C the U D R and the British ARMY should never be forgotten   justice for all
no matter how long it takes