Author Topic: Joke shop / lucky bags  (Read 808 times)

seajay

Joke shop / lucky bags
« on: September 23, 2019, 01:45:40 PM »
Anyone have fond memories of the things we could get in the joke shop ( was it in Gresham St. )  The finger with a nail through it, x Ray specs, fake cigarettes which glowed or blew out powder like smoke, the wee plastic fish which curled up in the palm of your hand. And itchy powder.. Marvellous.

Bigali

Re: Joke shop / lucky bags
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 04:34:34 PM »
I was a sucker for lucky bags as a kid and I remember all the items listed above and there was usually some inedible tasteless hard sweet in them as well . I can remember one particular bag , must have been a deluxe one or something, that had a wee brown plastic monkey with a hole for its gob into which you stuck a very thin ‘ cigarette ‘ lit it and the monkey then appeared to blow smoke rings  :D
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Bread Basket

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 07:12:18 PM »
Yes, it was in Gresham St... The Magic Box... a few door away from Montgomery’s Pet Shop

Hugh Jarce

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 07:17:35 PM »
I remember it in Smithfield,facing the Post Office.(now castle court)

Bread Basket

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 10:43:16 PM »

seajay

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 08:21:38 PM »
Yes, lovely memories. What about the specs with a big nose and moustache. Was there also sneezing powder?

syriana

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 12:00:00 AM »
The stink bombs were good - small glass balls containing a noxious liquid.  I caused havoc in The Castle cinema during one Saturday matinee.  I also got my 'Billy's Weekly liar' in that shop.
No answer is an answer.

seajay

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 08:28:13 AM »
Billy's weekly. My God i'd totally forgot about that. Was piddling Pete in that ?

GEMMA

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 07:49:29 AM »
I was a sucker for lucky bags as a kid and I remember all the items listed above and there was usually some inedible tasteless hard sweet in them as well . I can remember one particular bag , must have been a deluxe one or something, that had a wee brown plastic monkey with a hole for its gob into which you stuck a very thin ‘ cigarette ‘ lit it and the monkey then appeared to blow smoke rings  :D
I got one with a driving license in it. ;)

MaggieP

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 09:33:13 AM »
This brought back memories of my Dad making a beeline for that shop every time we visited the market on our holidays so that he could buy Billy's Weekly Liar.  His favourite section was Piddling Pete and I can still remember bits of the poem:
A famous dog once came to town
  Whose Christian name was Pete
He piddled on the lampposts
  He piddled in the street.  

It then went on about the butcher chasing him after he pinched the sausages.  Can anyone remember the rest?

Apologies for lowering the tone of this esteemed forum! 😊

derdrei

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 09:39:14 AM »
Yes, it was in Gresham St... The Magic Box... a few door away from Montgomery’s Pet Shop
Pet shop I loved would have taken all the pets home if I could have had my way.

Bread Basket

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 02:59:51 PM »
billy's weekly liar.... loved it 😂

seajay

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2019, 06:28:30 PM »
And what about those daft fake specs and red plastic lips. Made you look a right beaut...

Billy Fish

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2019, 11:55:03 AM »
I once took some stink bombs into our Sunday School Xmas party. Certainly livened up proceedings.   :D  Itchy powder, Soap that turned your hands black and 'Mucky Pup' which was a fake turd. Had many an hour of fun with that one.  :D
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

Billy Fish

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2019, 11:57:16 AM »
This brought back memories of my Dad making a beeline for that shop every time we visited the market on our holidays so that he could buy Billy's Weekly Liar.  His favourite section was Piddling Pete and I can still remember bits of the poem:
A famous dog once came to town
  Whose Christian name was Pete
He piddled on the lampposts
  He piddled in the street. 

It then went on about the butcher chasing him after he pinched the sausages.  Can anyone remember the rest?

Apologies for lowering the tone of this esteemed forum! 😊

https://monologues.co.uk/Anonymous/Piddling_Pete.htm

There you go.  :)
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.