Author Topic: Do You Remember The Lemonade Man From The 1970s?  (Read 449 times)

Chalkie

Do You Remember The Lemonade Man From The 1970s?
« on: September 23, 2019, 02:26:17 PM »
Do You Remember The Lemonade Man From The 1970s?
I always looked forward to Friday teatime because that is when the Lemonade Man came into the Short Strand where I grew up during the 1970s.  He owned a lorry and on the back of it crate upon crate of tasty bottles of lemonade were stacked high.  They were all the same brand, Maine, but the flavours were amazing: American Cola, Cloudy Limeade, Ice Cream Soda (my personal favourite, yummy!), Brown Lemonade, Pineappleade, Raspberryade (my least favourite), Appledrink, Root Ginger Brew, Sarsparilla and Attaboy.  Now tell me where else except Belfast would you find a bottle of Attaboy?
Attaboy is a mixture of two Scottish fizzy drinks, Irn Bru and Red Kola.  The Lemonade Man still visits the Short Strand today to take orders and collect the glass bottles.  Kali Water is also made by Maine and was one of my late Mum’s favourites.  The Lemonade Man’s lorry was never hi-jacked in the Strand because everyone knew that he wouldn’t come back into our area if it was - and besides, we loved our lemonade too much!
I love ordering a vodka and white for someone at any bar in Manchester, just to see the various amusing reactions on the faces of the bar staff. When I say “Can I have a vodka and white lemonade please?”  Some would answer “Is there any other kind?”  “Yeah, there’s brown lemonade” I reply and then I end up having to bring them a bottle of brown lemonade the next time I am over because they want me to prove it really does exist and they want to taste it.   Personally speaking I much prefer brown lemonade to white.

Bigali

Re: Do You Remember The Lemonade Man From The 1970s?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 04:31:35 PM »
Maine Minerals were and still are made in Ballymoney my home town , the Mineral Man called at our house every Monday and we kids were allowed to choose two bottles to share , usually American Soda and Orangeade , (as I was the youngest I never got to choose that often ) but if I did get a look in I went for Portello or Cloudy Limeade and always a bottle of brown lemonade for Dad with strict orders from Mum that if our bottles ran out we were not to touch Dads brown lemonade !  :D
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

seajay

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 07:36:23 PM »
Hi Chalkie. I think today he would be referred to as the mineral water distributor.

Billy Fish

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 07:53:47 PM »
I remember in the 50's & 60's the lemonade man would come around our street. Maine lemonade and Great Northern, if I remember correctly ?  Cream Soda, Sarsperella, Cloudy Limeade & Pineapple to name but a few. Seemed to be more flavours that you could shake a stick at. The stoppers were huge screw in black things with a rubber washer on them. I remember taking a sly slug of what I thought was Cream Soda, but what was actually Kali Water. Spewed it up quicker than I downed it. Horrible stuff.  >:D
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

Bigali

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 07:54:53 PM »
I remember in the 50's & 60's the lemonade man would come around our street. Maine lemonade and Great Northern, if I remember correctly ?  Cream Soda, Sarsperella, Cloudy Limeade & Pinapple to name but a few. Seemed to be more flavours that you could shake a stick at. The stoppers were huge black things with a rubber washer on them. I remember taking a sly slug of what I thought was Cream Soda, but what was actually Kali Water. Spewed it up quicker than I downed it. Horrible stuff.  >:D

:D

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Maisie

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 04:56:38 AM »
Cantrell & Cochran (think the spelling is right) was the name of the drinks we got on a Saturday.  My mum give back the 6 bottles of empties from last week - way before the word "Recycling" was invented -  and got another 6 bottles of mixed  drinks and then tried to hide them on us to have for Sunday lunch.  She tried a different place every week but we were always able to suss out her hiding place and have a few "slugs" on the quiet.  God love her, she was lucky to have three or four bottles left by the next day.  Of course nobody ever admitted to drinking any of the empties!!!

Jimmy Patterson

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 07:00:38 AM »
One of the first things I get when I'm home is a bottle of brown lemonade.even after over 40 years in australia I ordered a vodka with white lemonade last week, everyone at the bar looked at me except the barmaid she smiled and said it had happened a few times before.

arder lavery

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 01:01:41 PM »
One of the first things I get when I'm home is a bottle of brown lemonade.even after over 40 years in australia I ordered a vodka with white lemonade last week, everyone at the bar looked at me except the barmaid she smiled and said it had happened a few times before.
i worked for youngs lemonade around 1964,
HAVE NO FEAR CAUSE ARDERS HERE

Alber55

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 10:03:23 AM »
Did anyone on here get Yacht Soft Drinks. They were based in Whitehead.

Chalkie

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 10:35:55 AM »

I have never heard of Yacht soft drinks.

What flavours did they sell?

Alber55

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 12:19:37 PM »
Chalkie, they sold just about everything that any others did. They've not been going now for some years but knew the owners well....always plenty available in their house.

Chalkie

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 12:37:08 PM »
A guy in work just told me that Braid Soft Drinks are still in business in Ballymena.

Bigali

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2019, 12:45:20 PM »
A guy in work just told me that Braid Soft Drinks are still in business in Ballymena.

Maine in Ballymoney is owned by one Harkness brother and Braid is owned by another Harkness brother.

JackM

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 01:24:56 PM »
I remember in the 50's & 60's the lemonade man would come around our street. Maine lemonade and Great Northern, if I remember correctly ?  Cream Soda, Sarsperella, Cloudy Limeade & Pineapple to name but a few. Seemed to be more flavours that you could shake a stick at. The stoppers were huge screw in black things with a rubber washer on them. I remember taking a sly slug of what I thought was Cream Soda, but what was actually Kali Water. Spewed it up quicker than I downed it. Horrible stuff.  >:D

Great Northern lemonade, brings back a few memories. They were based in Jumna Street, Shankill Road. The building is and has been for a long time, the `Linfield Supporters Club`.
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F