Author Topic: The 1970sí Corner Sweet Shop in Belfast  (Read 1046 times)

Chalkie

Re: The 1970sí Corner Sweet Shop in Belfast
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2019, 01:46:05 PM »
Great story.

GandT

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2019, 02:28:49 PM »
The mention of toy guns, caps etc. reminds me of a friend who, as a kid, lived in Sandy Row. He longed for, wished for and spent Christmas Eve awaiting a cowboy suit with accompanying metal blue gun and so on. He awoke on Christmas Day to find Santa had left him a bus conductor's uniform with accompanying fare-collecting machine. Even as an adult he would make us laugh by bemoaning how every other kid on the street was out as a cowpuncher from early light and how he refused to go out because he would, in his own words, 'been the only [censored] ticket puncher among them.'

I was trying to remember the wee shop beside St Matthew's school way back in the day and, suddenly, it came back to me - McConvery's where the temptation was so great that I stole 3d from my ma's purse. She's in her nineties - still hasn't let me forget it!

brixmis

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2019, 07:21:34 AM »
Thank you.

I recall the Jumbo bags and Bengal matches too.
And fireworks at Halloween consisted of a box of indoor fireworks which were always a big disappointment!
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
Support Soldier F. He's my brother.
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Bigali

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2019, 07:55:45 AM »
And fireworks at Halloween consisted of a box of indoor fireworks which were always a big disappointment!

Boy were they ever a disappointment, basically all you got was a couple of sparks a sputter and a load of acrid smoke.
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .