Author Topic: The Royal Hospital Group. West Belfast  (Read 2898 times)

Christopher

The Royal Hospital Group. West Belfast
« on: August 10, 2006, 04:03:21 PM »
Many of us know the Royal Hospitals Group as the Royal Victoria Hospital
The Royal Maternity and the Royal Hospital for Sick Children are the others in the group.

Mageeka

Re: The Royal Hospital Group. West Belfast
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 02:54:36 AM »
Chris
Do you know anything about a family called Ewart.
I think they may have given generous donations to the hospital  I was wondering had they anything to do with Ewarts mill?

finmakool

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 06:12:43 PM »
Hello: When I was a child living in Belfast, (sixty years ago) I once attended The Royal Hospital Children's Wing. I remember quite well that there was a glass case that housed a doll collection. These were dolls from all over the world and were very interesting to me. Does this children's wing still exist and is the doll collection still there?
Finmakool

Christopher

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 02:14:32 AM »
Mageeka I'm sure the Ewart family who gave so generously to the hospital were the same family that owned the mills. Successful mill owners gave back to the community. Andrew Mulolland, a Lord Mayor of Belfast and a member of the Mulholland family who owned York Street Flax Spinning Mill gave an Organ to the people of Belfast which is in the Ulster Hall. 

finmakool, I'll make some enquiries about the collection of dolls.

Mageeka

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 02:43:29 AM »
Chris
Up in the Milltown Cemetary  there is/was a fancy tomb style grave. which was built like a small house. You could look into the windowd (No Glass) and see some family names on marble plaques on the wall.
These names were of a family named Ewart.
Gould these be the same Ewarts, or relatives?
This grave has since been bricked up due to vandalism

Christopher

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 09:19:44 AM »
I'd say very definitely a member of the family buried in the tomb at Milltown Cemetery, Mageeka. 

Sir William Ewart, Bart., MP., JP (born in Belfast 1821 died 1889) lived at Glenmachan House, Strandtown, Belfast. I think this was later known as the Glenmachan Towers Hotel although there may have been a similar large house. He also had a home at Sackville Street, Dublin. He was a member of the Carlton Club, London. His father was Alderman William Ewart of Glenbank, Co Antrim. He married Isabella Mathewson who was the daughter of the late Avers Mathewson Esq, of Newtown Stewart, Co Tyrone. William was a pupil at Belfast Academy (I'm not sure if that is RBAI or BRA). He became a  Merchant and Linen Manufacturer in Belfast. He was Mayor of Belfast in 1859 and 1860 (the title Lord Mayor was not introduced until 1892). Belfast had a Treaty of Commerce with France and William Ewart was one of the Deputies for Belfast under this Treaty in 1864. He was a Justice of the Peace for Counties Antrim and Down as well as the Borough of Belfast. The Baronetry was conferred on him in 1887. A Conservative MP, he sat in Belfast from March 1878 and for Belfast North from 1888 until his death.