Author Topic: Cadbury’s Smash Mash Potatoes Advert Featuring Martians  (Read 164 times)

Chalkie

Cadbury’s Smash Mash Potatoes Advert Featuring Martians
« on: September 28, 2019, 10:54:25 AM »
Cadbury’s Smash Mash Potatoes Advert Featuring Martians[/font]
This is without question one of the funniest television commercials from the 1970s and still has people laughing at it today.  The commercial was first shown in 1974 and the story starts with eight Martian robots standing around a table, seven green coloured Martians and their leader, a red coloured Martian.  The leader turns to one of the green Martians and asks: “On your last trip did you discover what the earth people eat?”  One of the Martians holds aloft a potato and says:  “They eat a great a many of these.  They peel them with their metal knives.  Boil them for 20 of their minutes.  Then they smash them all to bits.”  As all of the robots start falling about with laughter, the leader robot then says: “They are clearly a most primitive people.”  The ad ends with the iconic catchphrase: ‘For Mash Get Smash.’ [/font]
The speech and personalities of the Smash Martians were initially developed when the puppeteers were messing about on set.  They were designed for the advertising agency Boase Massimi Pollitt by Sian Vickers and Chris Wilkins.  The Smash Martian television commercials from the 1970s were voted No.1 in a poll to determine the ITV Top 50 Advertisements Ever.  In December 1999, advertising weekly trade magazine, ‘Campaign,’ named the 25-year old Cadbury's Smash Martians television commercial its favourite in its Top 10 of the 20th century.  In recent years, flavoured varieties of Smash have also been made available, including Cheddar & Onion and Buttery.  Over the years, a few follow-up Smash television commercials appeared and in one of them we see two Martian robot parents with a Martian robot baby in a pram.  The adult robots sit down and have dinner, Smash of course, and at the end of the ad we see the father robot showing the baby a potato.  The baby bursts out laughing and kicks his feet high in the air causing his blanket to fall to the ground. [/font]
Try this link to enjoy once again.[/font]
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=cadbury%e2%80%99s+smash+mash+potatoes+advert+featuring+martians&view=detail&mid=C18DF360023DD868D86BC18DF360023DD868D86B&FORM=VIRE[/color]
Just one of the memories I have written about in my book about growing up in Belfast during the Troubles -  “Kicking Through The Troubles- How Manchester United Helped To Heal A Divided Community.”[/font]
 [/font]
http://empire-uk.com/kicking[/font]
 [/font]

misssmyth1

Re: Cadbury’s Smash Mash Potatoes Advert Featuring Martians
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 12:25:53 PM »
Hi Chalkie we all loved that advert it was genius .
can I buy  your book chalkie  on kindle and may I please have details  ?
 thanks

Chalkie

Re: Cadbury’s Smash Mash Potatoes Advert Featuring Martians
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 12:33:31 PM »
Hi
Thanks for your reply.
Yeah, you can get a copy of my book from Empire Publications and I provided the link in my post above.
I think the coffee shop at the East Side Project, CS Lewis Square on the Newtownards Road, Belfast. may have some on sale.
Let me know how you get on please.
John