Author Topic: US Navy in Belfast 1960s  (Read 479 times)

Alber55

US Navy in Belfast 1960s
« on: September 29, 2019, 06:40:14 PM »
Does anyone remember the US fleet being in Belfast during the early 1960s?

bjay

Re: US Navy in Belfast 1960s
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 07:12:19 PM »
I remember going on board a US naval ship docked in Belfast. An officer showed us a room full of board games and Airfix models. Crew could avail of them during long hours at sea. We were given a goodie bag full of models and games as we were leaving. Must have been 1966.

Alber55

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 07:40:11 PM »
I think, but not certain, that the visit I'm talking about was earlier. I was only a kid at the time. Do you remember what ship or US fleet it was in 66.

Bread Basket

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 01:58:16 PM »
I lived at the Docks, yards from the main gates at Whitla St / Garmoyle St. Grew up in 50’s and 60’s, it was a great place and offered all sorts of adventures for kids to play in, one of which was the opportunity to board Naval craft from world nations. When Foreign and UK Navy’s were in port then it was custom and practice for “ships open days” to take place. Aircraft carriers, Battleships, Destroyers, Frigates, Submarines etc all were our playground and we had a ball. Tapping up the crew for fags was common practice but smoking Camel ciggies at aged about 10 was not a nice experience 🤮. However some of the yankie guys would slip us a bottle of American Root Beer was great, straight from their fridge and ice cold 🍻.
Playing with the signalling lights on Port & Starboard always attracted 5 or 6 of us competing each other on how to send a message being supervised by a Singleman Crew member, ‘‘twas great fun.

Many happy memories of UK, USA, DUTCH, JAPANESE, RUSSIAN, FRENCH and a host of other countries will remain with me for the rest of my days

Alber55

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 02:15:38 PM »
My visit with the family was to see an old friend of my mum and dad who was, as it turned out, a high ranking officer. We were on a submarine, docked in port, for the afternoon and evening. Mum and dad spent the time with their old friend, my sisters who were teenagers, spent most of the time with the sailors lol and I had an accompanied tour of the boat between what seemed to be a never-ending table of food attended to by, what we would have called 'Chinese'.  Great day but would love to trace find out who the 'friend' was.

temp

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 03:54:05 PM »
i was at this show of military strength. i am sure it was a visit by quite a lot of ther naval fleet. an aircraft carrier a submarine and frigets. also a destoryer. they were part of the 7th american fleet on a good will visit. air craft carrier was anchored beside short and harlland. sub annd others were at the docks at york street. as a young boy i had the fun of getting on these ships.  ::)
seaweed

Alber55

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 04:03:08 PM »
temp, do you know when that visit was? My recollections are that it was the 7th fleet and as I recall it was one if not the only US submarine visit.

Jack The Kipper

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 07:36:05 AM »

When I was a young lad working for Eason's in 1957/58, we had to deliver papers and magazines to the Canadian aircraft carrier 'Bonaventure' somewhere down the docks, the shear size of it held me in awe...always got a good tip!
God Bless President Trump! God Bless Israel....and God Bless Big Rosie up our street!!!

Bigali

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 08:13:51 AM »

When I was a young lad working for Eason's in 1957/58, we had to deliver papers and magazines to the Canadian aircraft carrier 'Bonaventure' somewhere down the docks, the shear size of it held me in awe...always got a good tip!

HMCS Bonaventure was built in Belfast by Harland & Wolff  O0
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 09:03:39 AM »

I toured the Bonaventure, and a few others after that.

Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

temp

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 01:24:27 PM »
i think this visit by the american fleet was in 1964 i was 14years old at the time. great memories.
seaweed

JackM

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 01:31:32 PM »
I think the US Navy 6th Fleet (Mediterranean) visited around 1963 / 64 ?   :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

FrankB

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2019, 03:56:57 PM »
The one time I met up with the US navy was in Belfast in the early sixties. I was home on leave from the RAF in uniform and came across five or six US sailors rather the worse for wear.  They latched on to me like a long lost friend. They had a big problem: it was a new bottle of gin with a fancy ‘snap spring’ stopper which had them completely baffled. They were nice lads and I messed about with them for a few minutes then showed them how the bottle opened. Then my problems started when they insisted I have a good swallow of the bottle. I absolutely hate gin but they refused to let me escape until I had some.
Things aren't what they used to be: I'm not sure I like what they've become.

Billy Fish

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 08:08:37 PM »
I think the US Navy 6th Fleet (Mediterranean) visited around 1963 / 64 ?   :)

Personally Jack, I think it was earlier than that. 1960 / 61 springs to mind. I was working in Harland & Wolff at the time and vaguely remember it.  ???
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

Billy Fish

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2019, 08:11:49 PM »
I toured the Bonaventure, and a few others after that.

There were quite a few tough French Canadian sailors on her crew. Mad Pierre as he was known, springs to mind. Even the Belfast hard men gave him and others a wide berth. Lol
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.