Author Topic: Belfast Telegraph Obituaries Archives  (Read 526 times)

80sChild

Belfast Telegraph Obituaries Archives
« on: September 30, 2019, 12:03:29 AM »
Hi everyone,

I have started researching my family tree. I would like to be able to look up certain death notices from the Belfast Telegraph from days gone by. Is there a way of doing this? Iíve looking online, but canít see how.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Elwyn

Re: Belfast Telegraph Obituaries Archives
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 07:06:07 PM »
The British Newspaper Archive site has old copies of the Belfast Telegraph. (I don't know precisely which years). It's a subscription site.

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk
Elwyn

80sChild

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 08:05:45 PM »
Thank you so much Elwyn.

I did happen upon that site earlier. I'm searching it with not much information, merely a surname and a rough estimate of the decade the person passed away. I'm finding the search function difficult, and I wish there was a way to merely search through the death notices, and nothing else.

Hey ho, no one said genealogy was going to be easy.

Thanks again.

Bread Basket

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 10:11:39 AM »
Thank you so much Elwyn.

I did happen upon that site earlier. I'm searching it with not much information, merely a surname and a rough estimate of the decade the person passed away. I'm finding the search function difficult, and I wish there was a way to merely search through the death notices, and nothing else.

Hey ho, no one said genealogy was going to be easy.

Thanks again.
80ísChild, yes research can be difficult and daunting BUT when you hit on your 1st good lead then it will put a spring in your step.
My advice to you, providing you donít mind sharing details is to put as much info as you have on here and you just might get the surprise of your life.   there are people on here who are very experienced and talented with their research knowledge.

Good luck

80sChild

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 06:29:03 PM »
Thank you for the advice bread basket. You are correct about the Ďspring in my stepí I get so excited when I find something new, especially after hours of searching.

Unfortunately there isnít much information on this particular person. I do know one of her Daughters, and she may have passed away in the late 60s/early 70s, and of course the surname (no forename)

I will take your advice and chance my luck by posting the small snippets of info I have.

Thank you.

wb54

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 11:15:39 AM »
Hi 80sChild,
                  Have you checked any of the people with cemetery burials?
                  Will give you dates and some addresses, might help you find
                   what youíre looking for.
                    Best of luck,       Billy.

80sChild

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 05:35:41 PM »
Hi 80sChild,
                  Have you checked any of the people with cemetery burials?
                  Will give you dates and some addresses, might help you find
                   what youíre looking for.
                    Best of luck,       Billy.

Hiya Billy,

CMcG from this forum was a superstar, and found a wealth of information for me, just from a surname, a decade of death, and a rough location. I was shocked by how much they were able to find in such a short space of time. Theyíre so kind.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will use the cemetery burial route in my future searches.

wb54

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 06:09:40 PM »
Hi 80sChild,
                      Yes it great when others make it look so easy, I also have a lot
                       on the forum to thank.

Best regards,        Billy.