Author Topic: Finding the Guiney Family  (Read 1326 times)

Bob Guiney

Finding the Guiney Family
« on: September 30, 2019, 05:31:19 AM »
Hullo, my name is Robert (Bobby :) ) Guiney, born in Belfast in 1956, emigrated to Australia in 1963.My wife and i are returning home for the first time mid next year, and due to the length of time passed, contact with family with all of the family has been lost.My father is also Robert worked in the shipyard, son of Maggiie and Bobby, eldest son and brother to Jim (James), Tommy, Billy, Sammy, John and Joe Guiney, unfortunately contact has been lost with all of the family over the past 56 years, and i would love dearly to catch up with family members including cousins i have never met.My family lived in Cable Street, Malt Street, and Tullyard Way prior to comming to Australia, i still remember boits and pieces includiing the Boys Brigade, and visiting my grandmother at the Triang Toy Factory ? were she worked.
I am a father of 3 and grandfather of 9.I am hoping that someone recognises or remembers mum or dad or know of any of dads brothers or relatives, and i was told that the Belfast Forum was our best hope, many thanks for youir time, i live in hope ! regards Bobby.

CMcG

Re: Finding the Guiney Family
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 08:53:16 AM »
In case some minor detail might trigger recognition by someone, note that Hillis and McDowell could well be 2 surnames that are connected. The 1960 Belfast street directory on the Lennon Wylie website shows a Mrs. I. Guniney at 21 Malt Street and R. Guiney, a fitter, at 70 Tullyard Way.  There is a local newspaper death notice for a Thomas McDowell who died on 26 February 1958 which mentions his 'Granddaughter and Husband, Rosena and Robert Guiney, also baby Robert, 21 Malt Street'.

The burial record for Thomas (along with those for other grave occupants) is here:
https://dof.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialSearch.aspx?GraveSection=C4&GraveNumber=199&CemeteryName=Dundonald%20Cemetery

There is a short newspaper article of February 1959 about a J. Hillis Guiney of 70 Tullyard Way who had lost a couple of fingers on his right hand in an accident at work.  And there are death notices for a Samuel Hillis who died in 1942 that mention a brother-in-law John Guiney (John and Margaret Guiney of 109 Matilda Street) and a sister-in-law Margaret Guiney of 21 Malt Street.   

If the John and Margaret Guiney of 109 Matilda Street are indeed connected, then there are death notices for them indicating that they had a son John Guiney who married Molly and had children Betty and John, a son William Guiney who married Margaret (lived in Northumberland in 1960s), a daughter Isobel who married Harold Wooten (lived in California in the 1960s but clearly returned to NI later - see below), a daughter Margaret who married Samuel Morrow, and a daughter Wilhelmina who married John McMaster (the burial records for John and Margaret Guiney - and for all other grave occupants - are below):

https://dof.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialSearch.aspx?GraveSection=E5&GraveNumber=154&CemeteryName=Dundonald%20Cemetery

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 10:18:50 AM »

... There is a short newspaper article of February 1959 about a J. Hillis Guiney of 70 Tullyard Way who had lost a couple of fingers on his right hand in an accident at work ...

Could be just a co-incidence of naming, but a James Hillis Guiney and Alison Louise Guiney are listed as living in Bangor County Down in the following reference, which is 'Based on 2002, 2004-05 Electoral Roll':

https://www.192.com/atoz/people/guiney/james/bt20/4178620705/

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 04:38:32 PM »
BTW, I'm also seeing references for a Robert Guiney and Margaret Dennison who married in 1933 and were living at 24 Malt Street in the late 1940s (the 1943 Belfast street directory on the Lennon Wylie website shows the following for Malt Street: 24. Guiney, R., labourer) - maybe related?

Bob Guiney

Finding the Guiney Family
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 11:21:36 PM »
Many thanks CMcG, the posts you have placed are indeed my family, Margaret Dennison is my grandmother Maggie whom I was very fond off, travelled to Australia in the early 80,s for a view weeks, and I remember hearing about Malt Street, my mother Rosena was Rosena Parker, but I am aware of the reference to McDowall, the Hillis name I do not remember, but I will ask my mum and dad who are still alive and well in their 80's. This has been a great start on my journey, thank you for those who have read the post and replied.
We have one relative family in Australia named Lyttle, (Tommy & Peggy) who are related on my mothers side and emigrated around the same time as us, but unfortunately have both passed, leaving their children and grandchildren who we see occasionally as they live in Melbourne.
We live in a place called Warrnambool which is located on the south-coast of Victoria., cheers Bobby.

CMcG

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 04:13:26 PM »

... the Hillis name I do not remember, but I will ask my mum and dad who are still alive and well in their 80's ...

Possible Hillis explanation:

The Robert Guiney who married Margaret Dennison in 1933 was recorded in that marriage record as a 22 year old apprentice fitter, the son of John Guiney (a plater), Robert's address at the time of that 1933 marriage was stated as 21 Malt Street (which ties in to my previous posts).  However, I'm reasonably confident that Robert was in fact the son of Mary Guiney, as per the birth which took place at 23 North Queen Place in August 1911 (free to view immediately below):
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1911/01521/1617769.pdf

That specific address reads across nicely to the following family in the 1911 Ireland census, the Mary in the above birth record being the 21 year old 'Minnie' in the following census return:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Falls__Belfast_/North_Queen_Place/181446/

I suspect that after Mary/Minnie had the son Robert in 1911, he was brought up by her parents (John Guiney and Isabella Cosgrove who married in Belfast in 1889 - does the surname Cosgrove ring a bell?).

Anyhow, point being, that I'm also reasonably confident that the 18 year old 'Jenny' in the above 1911 census return was the same person who married Samuel Hillis in 1913:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1913/09886/5591728.pdf

And I suspect this might be her grave, though I haven't researched it:

https://dof.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialSearch.aspx?GraveSection=J1&GraveNumber=458&CemeteryName=City%20Cemetery%20-%20Glenalina%20Extension

Hence the Hillis name connection in the Guiney line.

Number26

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 04:20:57 PM »
Hello bob,was there a John guiney,family lived in clonduff drive.

Bob Guiney

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 10:25:43 PM »
Cheers CMCG and Number 26, Minnie as mentioned above was known as my Aunt Minnie, whom I remember vaguely, she looked after me during the week whilst my parents worked until i was 5 yo, and then emigrated to Australia, many thanks once more. Bobby.

LucaTom1

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 09:29:49 PM »
Hi , strangest day ever . I am Charlotte , Billyís youngest daughter - I literally was searching for my dads brothers earlier today .  Dad lives in Northamptonshire (uk)we were hoping to contact John and sammy and get them over this year !  I believe you are my uncle then 😊. Please please contact me would absolutely love to get you together , Dad is ok xxxx ps look on my Facebook page Charlotte Milford I will put a pic on of dad x

Christine Neeves

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 10:52:12 PM »
Hi Bobby,
I am Christine and I am Charlottes sister...so, I believe we are cousins, our dad is Billy Guiney, he is brother to Robert, Sammy, Jim, joe, Tommy and John....we stumbled across the Belfast forum whilst searching for Sammy and John, I read your message again and realised you were only 7 when you emigrated so were not my dadís brother, but we believe your dad Robert is...please look on Charlottes Facebook, she has put a photo of our dad as her profile picture x

Bob Guiney

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 09:29:19 PM »
Hi Christine, after many years searching for my family both my wife and I are thrilled that you have made contact, I am your cousin and dad is your uncle, both dad and mum are alive and well and live in Warrnambool, Victoria, which is on the south west coast of Victoria, dad is 83 and mum 81.
I will send Charlotte photos of us all via email this week, I have three children, Erin 40, Hayley, and Josh 33, also have 9 grandchildren, from 19 years old to 12 months.
I am really looking forward to keeping in contact with you both, I finally have a family!!!!, cheers and best wishes, Bobby.
PS The photo of uncle Billy is a dead spit of dad.

JulesRuth

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 01:06:08 AM »
John Guiney and Isabella Cosgrove are my ancestors they are my grandfather's parents who was William Fully Guiney and they and other relatives lived on Matilda Street but also family lived in Malt Street.  I am the last surviving female Guiney from my own grandfather's family along with my cousin Jean to whom her mother was my grandfather's daughter. I have some document information of our family Bobby which by what I've read in your post and information from my cousin Jean you indeed are related to us.  Hope this is helpful

JulesRuth

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 01:13:11 AM »
Bobby, I remember my late father talking about Minnie and my late grandfather William Cully Guiney moved with his sons from Matilda Street to Coolderry Street. My late grandmother was called Elizabeth Guiney although she had passed away before I was born.  My cousin Jean has more knowledge of our family history as she grew up in the area near all our relatives so she remembers much more than I do.  Get in touch if you would like more information.

JulesRuth

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 01:19:59 AM »
Bobby if you are searching for burial plots of our ancestors they are buried in the old City Cemetery also the newer Glenalina section and Roselawn cemetery.

Bob Guiney

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2020, 01:03:37 AM »
Hullo