Author Topic: WHEN THE ICE-CREAM MAN VISITED OUR STREET  (Read 115 times)

Chalkie

WHEN THE ICE-CREAM MAN VISITED OUR STREET
« on: October 01, 2019, 01:08:26 PM »
 [font=]WHEN THE ICE-CREAM MAN VISITED OUR STREET [/font]
[font=]When I was a young boy growing up in Belfast during the 1970s, I loved going to the cinema.  This usually meant a trip into Belfast city centre and the expense of bus fares on top of the admission charge plus a wee treat from my Mum & Dad when you were watching the movie.  I always loved those little tubs of vanilla ice-cream which an usherette sold from the aisles on a big wooden tray which hung from her neck.  Obviously this tray wasn't made in our woodwork class at Saint Augustine's Secondary School, Ravenhill Road, Belfast or everything she had on that tray would have ended up on the carpet.  Those tubs were delicious and came with a small wooden spoon to scoop the ice-cream out with.  Of course I waited until the lights went out before I would buy my tub because that way the girl would have to shine her torch into the tray which made the purchase that more exciting.  [/font]From memory her torch was a long black one with a green top which lit up.  Similarly, I think the usherette who showed you to your seats in the dark had a torch with a red top which lit up.  The only taste which quite matched the ice-cream at the cinema was when the ice-cream man's van visited our street, Harper Street, in the Short Strand on a Sunday afternoon.  My Mum would send me out with a bowl and 50p which actually got you a lot of ice-cream for your money.  We had it after our dinner with a big tin of fruit cocktail (I hated those wee cherry bits in the tin).  Either ice-cream was dead cheap back then or our ice-cream man didn't want to appear stingey.  And I can never recall seeing a hi-jacked or burnt out ice-cream van in Belfast although many a time I did see an ice-cream van selling his gear to kids that were dancing around burning buses and lorries.  A Belfast ice-cream man would have won the BBC's “The Apprentice” had it been on TV back then, but he was definitely in no danger of winning Mastermind!  And, I know some parents told their kids that when they could hear the ice-cream man’s music that meant he was sold out!
[font=]Just one of the memories I have written about in “Kicking Through The Troubles- How Manchester United Helped To Heal A Divided Community.”[/font][font=][/font]
[font=] [/font]
[font=]http://empire-uk.com/kicking[/font]
[font=]And, I would love to just have one more evening with my Mum and Dad to tell them how much I miss them and how much I love them and thank them for all of the sacrifices they made for my brother, David, my sisters Donna, Michelle and Danielle, and me.[/font]

JackM

Re: WHEN THE ICE-CREAM MAN VISITED OUR STREET
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 01:12:01 PM »
Mr. Whippy.   :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F