Author Topic: The Music Charts in the Early 70’s & Victor’s Cafe  (Read 402 times)

Chalkie

The Music Charts in the Early 70’s & Victor’s Cafe
« on: October 03, 2019, 03:28:06 PM »
 [font=]The Music Charts in the Early 70’s & Victor’s Cafe[/font]
[font=] [/font]
[font=]When I was a young boy growing up in the Short Strand, Belfast during the 1970s, I loved going into Belfast city centre with my Mum.  [/font]Whenever my Dad had earned some extra overtime money working in Harland & Wolff Shipyard as a welder, Mum & Dad would treat me, our David and my sisters, Donna & Michelle (my baby sister was not born then).  On this particular day, 27 April 1974 and I knew what I wanted, a piece of 7 inch vinyl.  There had been seven No.1 songs in the charts by this time: Slade with “Merry Xmas Everybody,” New Seekers with “You Won’t Find Another Fool Like Me,” Mud with “Tiger Feet,” Suzi Quatro (she was still wearing her black leathers!) with “Devil Gate Drive”, Alvin Stardust with “Jealous Mind,” Paper Lace with “Billy Don’t Be A Hero” and Terry Jacks with “Seasons In The Sun.”  I had the Slade single, I wasn’t really into New Seekers but could have stared at Lyn Paul all day.  I had the Mud single, Suzi I liked so I had her single.  I never quite got the Alvin Stardust thing and I loved “Billy Don’t Be A Hero” so I had that already too.  So it was “Seasons In The Sun” for me that afternoon.  Some singles really stood out with their colourful image in the centre of it.  Suzi was with Rak Records whose label had this ship on it which reminded me of a school visit to London the previous summer when we went to see the Cutty Sark.  Paper Lace were with Bus Stop records so they used a red, white and blue bus stop sign although it also looked like a London Underground stop.  As for my boys, Sweet, their record labels were dead plain, an orange centre with Epic written on it.  Polydor was another crap label as it was just red. 
[font=] [/font]
[font=]I could hardly wait to get home to play my new single but first up we paid a visit to Victor’s Café in Castle Street where my brother and I tucked into a delicious plate of fish and chips washed down with a Smokie.  [/font]I think our Donna had fish fingers and our Michelle was probably at home with Dad.  God those Smokies were flippin’ gorgeous.  They came in this really tall glass and were filled with a big blob of vanilla ice-cream and chocolate ice-cream, a half tin of fruit cocktail and your choice of cola or ice cream soda as the lemonade component.  I always opted for ice-cream soda.  And they weren’t finished yet because they were topped off with a Cadbury’s flake stuck in the middle of the ice-cream and two wafers slid down either side of the glass.  My Mum hated it when the waitress brought them out before we had finished our meal because once that thing was plonked down in front of you then you were not going to let it sit there too long.   They were expensive too, so we only did get them bought for us as a very special treat.  Boy, my Dad must have earned a packet that week! 
[font=]A wonderful memory from a bygone era and just one of the memories I have written about in “Kicking Through The Troubles- How Manchester United Helped To Heal A Divided Community.”[/font]
[font=] [/font]
[font=]http://empire-uk.com/kicking[/font]
[font=] [/font]
[font=]And, I would love to just have one more evening with my Mum and Dad to tell them how much I miss them and how much I love them and thank them for all of the sacrifices they made for my brother, David, my sisters Donna, Michelle and Danielle, and me.[/font]
[font=] [/font]
[font=]Here’s a great website to check out what song was No.1 when you were born.[/font]
[font=]https://www.onlineweb.com/theones/1970_1974.htm[/font]
[font=] [/font]
[font=]Go on, tell me what was it?[/font][font=][/font]

Sachs

Re: The Music Charts in the Early 70’s & Victor’s Cafe
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 09:53:57 AM »
Charlie I arrived in Canada around the particular weekend you cited and I have vivid memories of downtown Belfast at that time as I maybe had a bit more attention to details as I knew I wouldn’t be back for a while.
Details such as security gates, being searched going into stores,being careful were you went as there was a chance you could be “jumped”. On the other hand there was a great bustle to the city and people were generally of good humour despite the awful time we were all going through.
The songs you mention I remember every one.
I was tortured with “Billy Dont be a Hero” for months . It was very popular as I left Belfast and when I landed in Canada it was just released and over the course of summer ‘74 it was very popular. I hated that song. ( Guess what my name is?)
I’ll end this by agreeing that Lynn Paul was definitely a looker but Eve Graham was spectacular. All in my opinion of course.

Chalkie

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 10:27:01 AM »
Nice post.

Sacha?

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 11:16:27 AM »
I was one of the clampets that stood in rows at the disco and carried out the 4 steps of 'Tiger Feet' over and over and over again, lol, it was just one of those songs that was a floor filler, like the opening bars of ABBA's Dancing Queen or anything by the Bee Gees or Amii Stewart's Knock on Wood.   

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

ldugan

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 03:12:20 PM »
[font=]The Music Charts in the Early 70’s & Victor’s Cafe[/font]
[font=] [/font]
[font=]When I was a young boy growing up in the Short Strand, Belfast during the 1970s, I loved going into Belfast city centre with my Mum.  [/font]Whenever my Dad had earned some extra overtime money working in Harland & Wolff Shipyard as a welder, Mum & Dad would treat me, our David and my sisters, Donna & Michelle (my baby sister was not born then).  On this particular day, 27 April 1974 and I knew what I wanted, a piece of 7 inch vinyl.  There had been seven No.1 songs in the charts by this time: Slade with “Merry Xmas Everybody,” New Seekers with “You Won’t Find Another Fool Like Me,” Mud with “Tiger Feet,” Suzi Quatro (she was still wearing her black leathers!) with “Devil Gate Drive”, Alvin Stardust with “Jealous Mind,” Paper Lace with “Billy Don’t Be A Hero” and Terry Jacks with “Seasons In The Sun.”  I had the Slade single, I wasn’t really into New Seekers but could have stared at Lyn Paul all day.  I had the Mud single, Suzi I liked so I had her single.  I never quite got the Alvin Stardust thing and I loved “Billy Don’t Be A Hero” so I had that already too.  So it was “Seasons In The Sun” for me that afternoon.  Some singles really stood out with their colourful image in the centre of it.  Suzi was with Rak Records whose label had this ship on it which reminded me of a school visit to London the previous summer when we went to see the Cutty Sark.  Paper Lace were with Bus Stop records so they used a red, white and blue bus stop sign although it also looked like a London Underground stop.  As for my boys, Sweet, their record labels were dead plain, an orange centre with Epic written on it.  Polydor was another crap label as it was just red. 
[font=] [/font]
[font=]I could hardly wait to get home to play my new single but first up we paid a visit to Victor’s Café in Castle Street where my brother and I tucked into a delicious plate of fish and chips washed down with a Smokie.  [/font]I think our Donna had fish fingers and our Michelle was probably at home with Dad.  God those Smokies were flippin’ gorgeous.  They came in this really tall glass and were filled with a big blob of vanilla ice-cream and chocolate ice-cream, a half tin of fruit cocktail and your choice of cola or ice cream soda as the lemonade component.  I always opted for ice-cream soda.  And they weren’t finished yet because they were topped off with a Cadbury’s flake stuck in the middle of the ice-cream and two wafers slid down either side of the glass.  My Mum hated it when the waitress brought them out before we had finished our meal because once that thing was plonked down in front of you then you were not going to let it sit there too long.   They were expensive too, so we only did get them bought for us as a very special treat.  Boy, my Dad must have earned a packet that week! 
[font=]A wonderful memory from a bygone era and just one of the memories I have written about in “Kicking Through The Troubles- How Manchester United Helped To Heal A Divided Community.”[/font]
[font=] [/font]
[font=]http://empire-uk.com/kicking[/font]
[font=] [/font]
[font=]And, I would love to just have one more evening with my Mum and Dad to tell them how much I miss them and how much I love them and thank them for all of the sacrifices they made for my brother, David, my sisters Donna, Michelle and Danielle, and me.[/font]
[font=] [/font]
[font=]Here’s a great website to check out what song was No.1 when you were born.[/font]
[font=]https://www.onlineweb.com/theones/1970_1974.htm[/font]
[font=] [/font]
[font=]Go on, tell me what was it?[/font][font=][/font]
Great post Chalkie  :)
We don't have to agree on anything to be kind to one another.

derdrei

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 10:50:13 AM »
great memories ,

Chalkie

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 02:09:38 PM »

Thank you.