Author Topic: Harland and wolff  (Read 195 times)

poacher

Harland and wolff
« on: October 04, 2019, 02:01:15 PM »
Just came across and old tea and sugar box of my late fathers which he used in the shipyard also a tea spoon with harland wolff stamped on it anybody remember these?

roycraw.

Re: Harland and wolff
« Reply #1 on: Today at 09:25:34 AM »
Just came across and old tea and sugar box of my late fathers which he used in the shipyard also a tea spoon with harland wolff stamped on it anybody remember these?
  hi there poacher, i well remember the wee tea and sugar boxs, oval in shape a lid at each end divided into two sections with sugar in one end and tea in the other,     a small flat bottle of milk and your 'piece' in your pocket and away you went to the 'yard'    you boiled your tea in a tin 'billy' and you drank straight from that,  ( or you would be regarded as a bit of a sissy)    ahh the good old days.     cheers  roy  c. 

Donovan

Re: Harland and wolff
« Reply #2 on: Today at 05:23:30 PM »
As an apprentice from 1955 to1960 we,the apprentices were paid by the journeymen to make their tea.We would take a large dried milk tin{issued for babies} wrap asbestos cloth around the can then wind element wire around the cloth.It was like an electic{primitive}kettle or find a Burner and have him put his torch to the billycans.Good old days.