Author Topic: Belfast War Graves Desecrated... Again  (Read 838 times)

CMcG

Belfast War Graves Desecrated... Again
« on: October 08, 2019, 03:40:55 PM »
We've been here before... quite a few times.  And here we are again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-49976507

The folk memorialised by these graves are at the other end of the scale to the utterly worthless pieces of garbage who carried this out. 

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

allymac

Re: Belfast War Graves Desecrated... Again
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 05:03:14 PM »
What kind of moron would do such a thing?Disgusting.
Support all our servicemen and women either at home or abroad.

moorsy

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 08:14:54 PM »
Graveyards seem to be a regular target of vandals, cant understand why.

I had occasion to visit the British graveyard in the heart of Belgrade, Serbia, and the place was immaculate, also the Italian military one beside.  In general, War Graves in Europe are well looked after and not vandalised.
i,m out of my mind,but feel free to leave a message.

GandT

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 09:11:26 PM »
Graveyards seem to be a regular target of vandals, cant understand why.

I had occasion to visit the British graveyard in the heart of Belgrade, Serbia, and the place was immaculate, also the Italian military one beside.  In general, War Graves in Europe are well looked after and not vandalised.

Agree about most other places but unfortunately I can understand why here. Ignorance - in manners, attitudes, behaviour and rudimentary knowledge of major facts of history. It would, for example, be difficult to explain the complexities of WWI or WWII to those whose history is confined to crude and selective views of anything [applicable to both sides in NI]

However, in respect of these graves, this cemetery and other memorials - moronic and disgusting. No point in telling these guys [or gals] of the tragedy and pointlessness but indisputable bravery of soldiers etc. in WWI. No point [although I did witness some very good community work taking kids to Flanders, Normandy and Dublin for WWI and 1916 history]. I also am aware of input by libraries and other places in explaining that except for ordinary people [including some Irish] we might well be slaves or have perished in gas chambers. The exploits of ordinary people at Dunkirk, exceptional people like the RAF dam busters, the sacrifice of Normandy landings and and so on whose bravery actually do get admiration from children from all backgrounds and may, on occasions, bring about attitudinal and behavioural change. They can grasp - at different levels -what was being fought for and why they should respect the memory of people who died and, sometimes, even change attitudes.

In this case [and in so many others] knowledge and information would not be enough - the prevailing attitudes, level of care, lack of tolerance, sheer distortion of view and incapacity to distinguish between wrecking and building are absent. Sadly, there is little hope of a future for some of these youngsters [if youngsters they are]. Pathetic and deplorable when there have been efforts by all sides to address this issue in some areas.

HarryHippo

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 12:13:08 AM »
very sad.
Lux Et Veritas.

tours

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 10:22:13 AM »

The folk memorialised by these graves are at the other end of the scale to the utterly worthless pieces of garbage who carried this out.
They need 40 lashes and made to pay for the damage. Then 300 hrs community service, keeping the Graveyard clean and tidy.
What Neanderthals... 😠

jillyfred

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 11:40:48 AM »

===
Agreed 100% CMcG.

jilly

Ballymurphygirl

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 12:24:30 PM »
Wanton  destruction of graves is disgusting the scum who do this have little respect for any graves let alone war graves hopefully they will be caught Be interesting to see what the law will do about it  if anything
The truth will set you free . I support Ballymurphy & Derry families Justice for the innocent

GandT

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 01:25:45 PM »
Wanton  destruction of graves is disgusting the scum who do this have little respect for any graves let alone war graves hopefully they will be caught Be interesting to see what the law will do about it  if anything

Agreed. Doubtful if anything can be done that will prevent a very small but appallingly destructive crowd of mindless people. Some degree of parental control in the early years and some action  to find out where young people are might help; doubt if it is forthcoming. Schools are not responsible; council authorities can only do so much; local community groups have tried and are trying and so on. Probably some of the parents whose kids are responsible will find another scapegoat  - their social worker didn't stay up all night to prevent this; headteachers should organise hunting parties etc. Everyone is responsible except them and their kids!

JackM

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 01:37:24 PM »
Truly appalling acts of Vandalism. Scum they are.  >:( 
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

Ballymurphygirl

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 03:53:47 PM »
Agreed. Doubtful if anything can be done that will prevent a very small but appallingly destructive crowd of mindless people. Some degree of parental control in the early years and some action  to find out where young people are might help; doubt if it is forthcoming. Schools are not responsible; council authorities can only do so much; local community groups have tried and are trying and so on. Probably some of the parents whose kids are responsible will find another scapegoat  - their social worker didn't stay up all night to prevent this; headteachers should organise hunting parties etc. Everyone is responsible except them and their kids!
sadly seems to be the parenting ways of both sides of the divide now days GhandT this worlds become a shocking place when the dead canít rest in peace  :(
The truth will set you free . I support Ballymurphy & Derry families Justice for the innocent

Billy Fish

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 08:09:09 PM »
Truly appalling acts of Vandalism. Scum they are.  >:D

Disgusting in the extreme from these vermin.  >:D
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

Argo

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2019, 11:30:27 PM »
I don't care what graves are attacked, it is one of the lowest forms of cowardly actions on record. Sadly it is not only war graves these mindless morons attack they are serial grave defilers in the City Cemetery. Religion plays no part in this debacle they are vandals pure and simple.

Ballymurphygirl

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2019, 01:05:55 AM »
I don't care what graves are attacked, it is one of the lowest forms of cowardly actions on record. Sadly it is not only war graves these mindless morons attack they are serial grave defilers in the City Cemetery. Religion plays no part in this debacle they are vandals pure and simple.
exactly Argo itís disgusting  >:D