Author Topic: CAN YOU REMEMBER THE FIRST BIKE YOU OWNED?  (Read 356 times)

Chalkie

CAN YOU REMEMBER THE FIRST BIKE YOU OWNED?
« on: October 10, 2019, 03:35:41 PM »
 [font=]The Raleigh Chopper[/font][font=][/font]
[font=]The Raleigh Chopper is a children's bicycle which was introduced into the UK in 1970 by the Raleigh Bicycle Company, Nottingham, England. The Chopper bike was a must-have item for many teenagers growing up in the early part of the 1970s and just by owning one you were automatically cool.  [/font]The Chopper became so popular that it resulted in Raleigh manufacturing and marketing smaller bicycles based on the original Chopper design including: The Budgie, The Chipper, The Chippy and The Tomahawk.  I never owned a Chopper as I preferred racing bikes instead. I once had a Puch Prima which was a cool looking black bike with 12 gears - two more than most racing bikes.  It took me about a yearís paper delivery (I had 2) money to buy it!  I got it on the Ormeau Road but canít recall the name of the shop, it might have been Geddisís, as Stones was in the Markets.   Do you know?
[font=]What was your first bike?[/font]

Alber55

Re: CAN YOU REMEMBER THE FIRST BIKE YOU OWNED?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 01:58:12 PM »

I remember well but I've no idea what make, probably Raleigh as there weren't many makes out there in early 50s. I was about 5 years old, just grown out of my tricycle.  It had a metal brake mechanism, both front and rear, no cables, no gears but a freewheel...not fixed.  It was pre-owned by the Larne - Ballylumford ferry man, Douggie Hood and my Dad refurbished it for me.

Chalkie

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 02:04:27 PM »
Brilliant memory.

eric

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 04:01:44 PM »
BSA Tour of Britain Sports

Argo

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 04:24:20 PM »
Unlike Norman Tebbit's daddy.  I made my own from parts I got from the local scrap yard. Times were hard.

Jack The Kipper

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 06:10:03 PM »
BSA Tour of Britain Sports

The good old BSA (Bits Stuck Anywhere)
God Bless President Trump! God Bless Israel....and God Bless Big Rosie up our street!!!

Chalkie

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 08:36:09 PM »
Great bike.

Bigali

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 09:06:34 PM »
After inheriting a couple of bikes that my older brothers had , the first bike I was given for myself was a bright orange Raleigh Chipper which was a smaller version of the Raleigh Chopper , after that a Triumph Twenty which was a sort of all purpose bike and great fun , then a ten speed Dawes. Good memories.
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Chalkie

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 12:21:33 PM »
Dawes made a good bike.  My mate owned one.

Bigali

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2019, 02:40:37 PM »
Dawes made a good bike.  My mate owned one.

The Chipper and the Triumph were Christmas presents, the Dawes I bought second hand myself from money Iíd earned in an after school and Saturday job.

The guy I bought it from was a big cycle racing and time trial enthusiast and never had less than three bikes at any one time and he changed bikes like the rest of us would change a pair of shoes . It was a great bike and had been well looked after by the first owner and I clocked up many happy miles on it .
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

CMcG

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 04:11:33 PM »
It was a smaller wheeled bike called a Dawes Kingpin, seriously 'uncool' looking and first delivered by Santa to an older brother, but with a fresh coat of gloss (house!)paint, some 'go faster' stripes using insulating tape and some orange reflectors wedged between the wheel spokes, it was my DIY challenger to the Raleigh Chopper.

I remember that the Chopper simply swept all before it in the children's market at that time... I so wanted one, despite the fact that I'd ridden a friend's several times and knew that it really wasn't a patch my Dawes Kingpin, lol.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Chalkie

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 08:08:34 PM »
Iíd take a racing bike over a Chopper anytime.
My 12 speed Matt black Puch Prima 12 speed racer was an eye turner in the Short Strand as I did not venture out of my area!

spoolerdog

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 02:10:42 PM »
The first "big" bike I can remember having was a Zipper (early to mid 70's).  No idea who made these but it was a cheap version of the Chopper.  Saying that it could everything that a Chopper could and in some cases much better.

I have had a few racing bikes in my time.  Unfortunately all have been stolen.

The last on was Puch 12 gear (it was either this or a ZX Spectrum computer, the bike won, couldn't ride a Spectrum ZX83 to work every morning).  Could get up from the bottom of the Queen's Road (H&W)  all the way home before my dad even made to the top of the Queen's Road in the bus.  Alas again some thieving reprobate stole this on me outside the security hut in Millfield tech  (may he forever suffer piles and many other unpleasant ailments!!).