Author Topic: CAN YOU REMEMBER THE FIRST BIKE YOU OWNED?  (Read 1581 times)

Chalkie

Re: CAN YOU REMEMBER THE FIRST BIKE YOU OWNED?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2019, 09:15:06 AM »
Get one now.

river rats

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2019, 04:40:55 PM »
My first Bike was a Dawes Newpin it was bought on the never never in a wee bicycle shop between the stadium and the back gates of Glenwood school across the road from kens shop
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

stranmillis v

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2019, 05:01:14 PM »
my first one was an Elswick hopper invincible from gass'es king st.
"This society believed it was looking towards a new future, yet we consistently find ourselves being dragged backwards."

Bigot's are ignored by me.

Goatski

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2019, 11:18:51 PM »
The only thing I remember about my 1st 'proper' bicycle, is that the lights were powered by a chrome dynamo on the back wheel and when it was engaged, it made the pedals as heavy as hell to push round.  The brightness of the front light wasn't much good either.

Bigali

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2019, 07:21:14 AM »
Does anyone remember doing the Cycling Proficiency Test at primary school ?

Some codger from the Department of Road Safety presumably , came round the schools and checked over your bike to ensure the brakes were working , tyres were good etc , then you rode around a marked out ‘road’ on the playground and at some point he jumped in front of you to test your reflexes for an emergency stop !  :D

After that it was a few questions from the Highway Code and if you passed you got a certificate and a wee red and green triangular shaped enamel badge.
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Goatski

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2019, 09:02:34 PM »
Does anyone remember doing the Cycling Proficiency Test at primary school ?

After that it was a few questions from the Highway Code and if you passed you got a certificate and a wee red and green triangular shaped enamel badge.
Still have my badge and half-chewed certificate.

Bigali

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2019, 09:29:39 PM »
Still have my badge and half-chewed certificate.

I still have the certificate too tucked away in a box somewhere, the badge has long since been lost.

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

FrankB

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2019, 03:46:54 PM »
The first two-wheeled bike I owned was given to me when I was four or five years old and I remember it well. My father, on leave from the RAF, managed to track down a ‘fairy cycle’ (a secondhand one as new ones were not available during the war). We lived in a culdesac and Dad held the back of the seat as I rode it for the first time. After a few goes I got the hang of it and was allowed to ride up and down by myself. It took about ten minutes before disaster struck when I hit a piece of coal and landed on the road in a heap. I continued cycling until my late teens and enjoyed every moment of the freedom it gave me.
Things aren't what they used to be: I'm not sure I like what they've become.

Alber55

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2019, 05:13:15 PM »
Does anyone remember how long I took them to ride their first bike?

henry irwin

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2019, 07:24:53 PM »
 I believe I was 1 year old.

St.Anthony

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2019, 11:45:30 AM »
I didn't own a bicycle until the late 1970s.  However when I was about 10-11 years old in the mid 1960s, I built my own. I was pedaling leisurely around the perimeter of Smithfield Market one summers evening, when I was stopped by the RUC who came up behind me in a wee Ford Anglia squad car.  They were friendly and were laughing while warning me about the dangerous condition on my homemade bike. They were in near hysterics laughing when I got off my bike at their request when they saw the seat I was sitting on.  I had found an old frame of a bicycle and took it home.  Basically all it had was handlebars with no brakes, there was no rubber on the pedals, just the 2 metal bars sticking out. There was also a back wheel and a rusty chain. I had improvised.  I got 2 wheels with the axle from a Tansad and stuck them into the front forks of the frame. For the seat I stuck another wheel down where the seat should have been. There was very little traffic around Smithfield those summers night. My leisurely cycling lasted about a week, before the RUC confiscated my first homemade and working contraption. :D
Looking back on it now, it must have been a sight for sore eyes.. :D

Bigali

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2019, 12:07:54 PM »
Does anyone remember how long I took them to ride their first bike?

Not that long thanks to one of my big brothers being an a hole when he was eighteen or nineteen. I had this wee Triang “kids first bike” sort of thing with solid rubber wheels and stabilising wheels at the back . Big bro was looking after me one day when Mum and Dad were out getting the shopping and he decided that two weeks was enough with the training wheels and took them off .

He wouldn’t let me ride around the garden where I wouldn’t be hurt when I fell off but made me go up and down the concrete drive or around the yard which was half concrete and half very old very rough cobbles , the result being that when Mum and Dad came home they found their youngest child bleeding from the palms , knees , elbows and chin whereupon learning what had happened Mother lifted the yard brush beside the back door and clocked big bro with it ! :D

Having said that by the next afternoon I was riding around without much mishap so he probably did me a favour although it didn’t seem like it at the time.

Hugh Jarce

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2019, 03:39:30 PM »
I didn't own a bicycle until the late 1970s.  However when I was about 10-11 years old in the mid 1960s, I built my own. I was pedaling leisurely around the perimeter of Smithfield Market one summers evening, when I was stopped by the RUC who came up behind me in a wee Ford Anglia squad car.  They were friendly and were laughing while warning me about the dangerous condition on my homemade bike. They were in near hysterics laughing when I got off my bike at their request when they saw the seat I was sitting on.  I had found an old frame of a bicycle and took it home.  Basically all it had was handlebars with no brakes, there was no rubber on the pedals, just the 2 metal bars sticking out. There was also a back wheel and a rusty chain. I had improvised.  I got 2 wheels with the axle from a Tansad and stuck them into the front forks of the frame. For the seat I stuck another wheel down where the seat should have been. There was very little traffic around Smithfield those summers night. My leisurely cycling lasted about a week, before the RUC confiscated my first homemade and working contraption. :D
Looking back on it now, it must have been a sight for sore eyes.. :D
Brilliant story,really enjoyed reading that. O0