Author Topic: BBC/ITV  (Read 1560 times)

poacher

BBC/ITV
« on: October 12, 2019, 10:48:27 PM »
The country is told to aim for the future for our kids but the the above television chanels keep puting on programes about the troubles maybe if they stopped this our unger generation will not see what went on and start being norma. This country is could have peace and a future for our children if the british and irish goverement would stop putting a spanner in the works when things are going well.they through a spanner in and bribg us back to the past. This xountry woukd be great if they woukd keave us alone

Billy Fish

Re: BBC/ITV
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 07:09:41 PM »
The country is told to aim for the future for our kids but the the above television chanels keep puting on programes about the troubles maybe if they stopped this our unger generation will not see what went on and start being norma. This country is could have peace and a future for our children if the british and irish goverement would stop putting a spanner in the works when things are going well.they through a spanner in and bribg us back to the past. This xountry woukd be great if they woukd keave us alone

Yes indeed, I find these constant programmes and references to the terrorist uprising distressful in the extreme. Mind you it doesn't help when there are such things in Belfast as 'terror tours', disgusting and disgraceful that some people are pimping this appalling and vile trade. They are making money out of other people's misery. Disgusting. They should be banned and terrorist murals painted over.  >:D
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

GandT

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 09:49:36 PM »
Part of me agrees with the disturbing effect of repeating the history on television and yet, how do we learn from history if we don't review it. As to the tours and so on, people will have very different views on what they do but I can't think of a single country in the world where one person's historical horror / rebellion/treason e.g. US vs Britain was not another's glorious revolution. Each is proud [or at least prepared] to display history to tourists. As to what is vile and disgusting - anyone suggest that we should close down tours to Belsen, Auchwitz and so on?

Alber55

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 10:01:08 AM »
I had this same conversation with one of my sisters two days ago. She enjoys watching these programmes. She tells me that she didn't experience any bother growing up so I believe she has no connection to the horrors of 'the troubles' although she says 'it must have been terrible for ones in Belfast and L'Derry'. She's not an emotional person anyway....doesn't cry watching 'Lassie movies' 🤣...!

cookstown

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 10:51:41 AM »
Thing is going over the troubles again and again keeps local media in a job.  Take any troubles related subject out of the media and they find little else to report.  You will hear them talking about moving on and leave the past behind, but in actual fact they survive on it.  The problem in my opinion is that they are aware that a lot of the public have strong feelings about different issues and they feed off these kind of people.  My granny always said feed a cold and starve a flu.  It might help to treat the media as a flu.
Regards Cookstown 

Alber55

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 11:30:50 AM »
Cookstown, well said.

JackM

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 01:31:19 PM »
Thing is going over the troubles again and again keeps local media in a job.  Take any troubles related subject out of the media and they find little else to report.  You will hear them talking about moving on and leave the past behind, but in actual fact they survive on it.  The problem in my opinion is that they are aware that a lot of the public have strong feelings about different issues and they feed off these kind of people.  My granny always said feed a cold and starve a flu.  It might help to treat the media as a flu.
Regards Cookstown

Well said, old Boy.   O0
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

JackM

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 01:32:33 PM »
Yes indeed, I find these constant programmes and references to the terrorist uprising distressful in the extreme. Mind you it doesn't help when there are such things in Belfast as 'terror tours', disgusting and disgraceful that some people are pimping this appalling and vile trade. They are making money out of other people's misery. Disgusting. They should be banned and terrorist murals painted over.  >:D

Hear Hear, Billy well said. Close these tours down now. They are only pimping on other peoples misery.  >:(
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

GandT

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 04:12:38 PM »
Regards Cookstown

You're dead right about the queue that forms to get on media with complaints. Sometimes, it seems, there are professional moaners and people who go about looking to be offended on a range of issues.

Joe 90

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 04:41:08 PM »
I have been watching the current  Spotlight series. I find the programmes disturbing, and they remind of a lot of things I would rather forget about, and in fact, why my wife and I left Northern Ireland as soon as we got married. However, there is a generation of young people who did not live through it and need to realise how bad it was. There are also a lot of people who lived through it, and should be reminded why the vast majority of us have no wish to go back to it.
I love Northern Ireland, and go back frequently, and I even have my satellite TV system tuned so that my default channels are BBCNI and UTV. What is more disturbing than the series, is the determination of some people to repeat the mistakes of the past.

GandT

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 08:26:08 PM »
I have been watching the current  Spotlight series. I find the programmes disturbing, and they remind of a lot of things I would rather forget about, and in fact, why my wife and I left Northern Ireland as soon as we got married. However, there is a generation of young people who did not live through it and need to realise how bad it was. There are also a lot of people who lived through it, and should be reminded why the vast majority of us have no wish to go back to it.
I love Northern Ireland, and go back frequently, and I even have my satellite TV system tuned so that my default channels are BBCNI and UTV. What is more disturbing than the series, is the determination of some people to repeat the mistakes of the past.

Agree with every word of this and sometimes what disturbs me is that I [nobody else to blame] either heard and have forgotten or were so inured to violence that I didn't take sufficient note of some barbaric happenings. One example is that I think I heard on 'Pop Goes NI' of a couple of Protestant women who were killed or attacked by pitchforks - disgusting, sick, animalistic, mindless, bigoted, bloody murder. I looked quickly for it on-line and didn't find details and wondered had I heard it wrongly. If true - and if I heard of it and forgot, then shame on me!!

Billy Fish

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 08:33:35 PM »
Regards Cookstown

Very true and equally there are people pimping these 'terror tours' and making money from other people's grief. I find the whole concept of making money from other people's misery, disgraceful in the extreme. Have these people no sense of shame or is it just the money ? Pimps pure pimps.  >:D
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

GandT

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 08:57:56 PM »
Very true and equally there are people pimping these 'terror tours' and making money from other people's grief. I find the whole concept of making money from other people's misery, disgraceful in the extreme. Have these people no sense of shame or is it just the money ? Pimps pure pimps.  >:D

I understand the point here but if, for example, we took 100 people on a visit to War Graves or parts of the world where grief was, or still is, raw, would the organisers merely be profiteers or people who are helping us understand history? There won't be any conflict in which there is consensus on who were the good guys and the bad guys. One exception perhaps is WWII - beyond that - are all organisers people without shame?

Dargan

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 10:48:38 PM »
I've been reading this thread with interest as I've been watching one of those shows myself wondering why on Earth it's being shown at all as the negativity pours out of it from a. hole to breakfast time. I agree with people about the Media, and the more I hear off them in general, the less I feel I know. Their haze of cherrypicked information means nothing at all the vast majority of the time as far as I can figure. What got me about tonight's show was that the investigative journalist was saying words to the gist, "and that definitely proves," on what frankly was tenuous evidence fairly easy to rip to shreds. Do these journalists know anything at all about court proceedings and cases whereby even impeccable evidence doesn't win a case? What gives them, I wonder, the right to decree anything at all. Still, if they have aspirations to be Judges then it all falls into place.

For example: I knew a guy accused, amongst other things, of forgery, and rather than say to the accuser: "go off and bring forth your evidence," the Judge actually told the accused to prove himself innocent. Now, if the man who accused him had nothing to bring by way of evidence in the first place, then why bother asking the accused to bring evidence to show his innocence? Why not close off the issue from the rest of the proceedings? It was a most peculiar do.

Anyway I hope these shows don't get the wanquers started up again.

Regards, and thanks for the reading. I enjoyed the opinions and comments. :hi:

Cryptic clue time: who wrote 1001 uses of vinegar but forgot chips? It's a war of attrition folks, make no mistake. Keep your thread alive. TF.

cookstown

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 10:32:20 AM »
The difficulty i find with investigative journalists is simply this.  They are human beings like the rest of us and they have quite rightly their own opinions on various issues.  They are intelligent people who have in conjunction with their outlets i.e. Papers, TV etc., the ability to come to a conclusion that is in line with their view on the particular issue at hand.  So depending on their particular political or other view the product the produce will show this.  They draw conclusions a lot of the time from inferences and inuendos which has proven to be not the case.  We need investigative journalism because of the number of scounderels out there but they need to base their findings on more substantive evidence, particular those who try to produce articles of our troubles in the past.
Regards Cookstown