Author Topic: BBC/ITV  (Read 1569 times)

Alber55

Re: BBC/ITV
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 10:51:23 AM »

I was having a discussion during a news programme a few years ago about 'news' with a friend. As we talked, I expressed my opinion that "news is new(s)....if it ain't new then it's not news". He disagreed, so I suggested that we take the next serious news story and follow it over the next week or so.

As I recall, we listened to a report from Germany where a 16year old had shot a number of people in his local town. I suggested to my friend that this 'news' would be the last we hear of this....there would be no follow-up on UK TV....we would not hear the reasoning to his motives nor the outcome of his victims.

Neither I nor my friend ever heard another thing about this event.

GandT

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 11:30:25 AM »
The difficulty i find with investigative journalists is simply this.  They are human beings like the rest of us and they have quite rightly their own opinions on various issues.  They are intelligent people who have in conjunction with their outlets i.e. Papers, TV etc., the ability to come to a conclusion that is in line with their view on the particular issue at hand.  So depending on their particular political or other view the product the produce will show this.  They draw conclusions a lot of the time from inferences and inuendos which has proven to be not the case.  We need investigative journalism because of the number of scounderels out there but they need to base their findings on more substantive evidence, particular those who try to produce articles of our troubles in the past.
Regards Cookstown

Again, I agree with nearly everything here. There are good investigative journalists all over the world who do not have a particular axe to grind and refuse to be influenced or intimidated by anyone when they are following a story. I have been witness to, and part of, some stories on aspects of NI. Some participants who are media-savvy can and do take measures to ensure that their views, situations and input is perceived in a generally positive and favourable light; others, less savvy, but just as worthy in viewpoint [sometimes more so] look poor in comparison - just on the basis of how to go about things. I have seen people deliberately manipulate things [often by omitting detail or not telling the whole truth] and some so-called journalists [including one or two 'award winners'] accepting the surface and not digging beneath appearances and presenting full length documentaries. One in particular who, if he told me my own name, I would go and check it out! This is to say nothing of how finished products can be angled if part-funded by, or influenced by, certain agency interests.

So, the media are essential. There are wonderful, genuine and principled investigative journalists and we really need them. But they are not all to be taken too seriously or even listened to / watched at all. I do not make those comments in relation to the current 'Spotlight' programme where I think Mandy McAuley has tried very hard to dig equally into all sides of the issues but this is not always true of this or any other programme!

JackM

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2019, 12:59:59 PM »
Imagine the Nolan Show without any form of Politics, then a bit of music till noon and then imagine `Talkback` without any form of Politics. Yes imagine.   ::)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

poacher

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2019, 04:28:30 PM »
The Country cant go forward by going backwards just hit it on the head and put it all behind us there was hurt and wrong doings on all sides. Give our kids a chance with a good future nothing will undo anything that happened

Billy Fish

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2019, 06:08:50 AM »
Hear Hear, Billy well said. Close these tours down now. They are only pimping on other peoples misery.  >:D

Unfortunately some people aren't fussy how they earn their money.  >:D
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

JohnKelly

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2019, 08:02:09 AM »
The Country cant go forward by going backwards just hit it on the head and put it all behind us there was hurt and wrong doings on all sides. Give our kids a chance with a good future nothing will undo anything that happened

There again, as the old saying goes,

"Those who ignore history are bound to repeat it."

JackM

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2019, 01:19:29 PM »
There again, as the old saying goes,

"Those who ignore history are bound to repeat it."

Correct but then again, no one should glorify it.   :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.

Billy Fish

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2019, 07:39:10 PM »
Some 'people' in Northern Ireland are making a living from glorifying terrorists.  ::)
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2019, 09:38:15 PM »
Unfortunately some people aren't fussy how they earn their money.  >:D

Yes, those Tours are an abortion ... :whistle:
Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

misssmyth1

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2019, 10:33:16 PM »
all very interesting opinions i wasn't going to watch the programmes but something compelled me to . I left Belfast at age 19 and  alone to get away from it all but had family and many loved ones there . and worried about them all the time . what struck me was that mostly  everyone from all angles had no regrets about what they did all thought they were doing the right thing . so many lives lost,ruined .   I loved living in Belfast had a very happy childhood and a decent education but I couldn't live with what was going on sorry if i am offending anyone who stayed but i wanted a life where i had freedom of choice and could live without fear of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and risk being maimed or killed . I knew 2 people who that happened to and one friend was 23 when she was murdered . I might have been with her .

GandT

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2019, 12:04:08 PM »
Some 'people' in Northern Ireland are making a living from glorifying terrorists.  ::)

But that depends on which people, which tours/sites/graves/museums/ centres etc. one visits and to which group of 'terrorists' one refers. All a matter of perspectives and narratives. There is no single 'truth' and no single 'glory' in war, conflict and civil strife.

In WWI, for example, I think that soldiers on all sides were tragic victims of a conflict that really was not in their interests and had little  impact on  the futures of the ordinary squaddies [I will omit the complexities it caused in Ireland]. In WWII each of us owes a debt to allied forces and that sacrifice was for a right and entirely just war. Concentrating on these alone - are we commemorating, celebrating or glorifying war on Remembrance Day? Are we thinking about the glory of war or the pity of war? I think we have nearly got it right, properly solemn and dignified when it comes to these - I refrain from further comment because other conflicts are too controversial.

Billy Fish

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2019, 07:59:22 PM »
But that depends on which people, which tours/sites/graves/museums/ centres etc. one visits and to which group of 'terrorists' one refers. All a matter of perspectives and narratives. There is no single 'truth' and no single 'glory' in war, conflict and civil strife.

In WWI, for example, I think that soldiers on all sides were tragic victims of a conflict that really was not in their interests and had little  impact on  the futures of the ordinary squaddies [I will omit the complexities it caused in Ireland]. In WWII each of us owes a debt to allied forces and that sacrifice was for a right and entirely just war. Concentrating on these alone - are we commemorating, celebrating or glorifying war on Remembrance Day? Are we thinking about the glory of war or the pity of war? I think we have nearly got it right, properly solemn and dignified when it comes to these - I refrain from further comment because other conflicts are too controversial.

Terrorists of both sides who are not fit to lace the shoes of those brave men and women who fought in WW1. Let's get things into perspective here.  ::)
Support Soldier F

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2019, 02:51:10 AM »
Terrorists of both sides who are not fit to lace the shoes of those brave men and women who fought in WW1. Let's get things into perspective here.  ::)

O0 O0        :clapping:
Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

GandT

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2019, 11:36:24 AM »

There was no intention on my part and there would have been even less purpose to comparisons between what you call 'terrorists' and those soldiers in WWI or WWII. Two entirely different contexts.

The comment on the 'tours' element was a response to earlier posts.

The next piece was clearly a response to a post which talked about 'glorifying' any war and the 'truth' about its causes and consequences. Basically a reference to the views of people like Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon [who DID fight] and what they called 'the pity of war'. There were millions who did not see WWI as 'glorious' and felt that they had been sold the 'old lie' that it is right and just to die for one's country etc.  A reading of the British War Poets indicates that a great many soldiers felt that they had been sold 'the old lie' by an establishment who exploited 'children ardent for some desperate glory' - their words not mine!

JackM

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2019, 01:26:42 PM »

Hear Hear, well said.   O0