Author Topic: SPACE HOPPERS & KLACKERS  (Read 352 times)

Chalkie

SPACE HOPPERS & KLACKERS
« on: October 13, 2019, 12:42:18 PM »
The must-have items for a kid in 1971 were a Space Hopper and Klackers.  They shared the Toy of the Year award that year.  Space Hoppers were large inflatable bouncers, mainly orange in colour, with horns for handles. Klackers were two balls tied to either the end of a piece of rope which made a klick-klack sound when they bounced off each other.  Crossfire was a board game manufactured by the Milton Bradley Company in 1971 and was also a huge seller that Christmas.  Essentially it is air hockey without the air and the mallets.  The idea of Crossfire is to get your puck into your opponent’s goal by shooting metal ball bearings at the puck to push it in the direction of the opposing goal nets.  There were two pucks in play; each puck was made of plastic and had a metal ball bearing in the centre to allow it to move. One of the pucks is star shaped whilst the other is triangular.  The hand guns (both red) are fixed to the board (shaped like a football pitch measuring approximately 100cm x 80cm) at either end of the field of play and are re-loaded after the ball bearings roll back into your ‘bin.’  Game level can be adjusted quickly by changing goal guards.  However, the original version of the game used a flat board which meant the ball bearings had a tendency to remain on the playing surface.   A later version of the game saw the introduction of a dome shaped board which permitted the fired ball bearings to roll much easier back into your bin to allow you to reload your gun much quicker, adding to the fun.  In 1973, Gunfight at the OK Corral was produced by the Ideal Toy Company and its concept is quite similar to Crossfire.  I never saw the sense in a Space Hopper, too much effort without getting very far.  And Klackers were for girls.[/size][/font]

brixmis

Re: SPACE HOPPERS & KLACKERS
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 07:07:48 AM »
I remember our tournaments of Crossfire. They lasted all evening but you ended up with blisters on your trigger finger.
As for clackers, they were banned after they became the weapon of choice in a fight. I don't remember too many girls having them.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
Support Soldier F. He's my brother.
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Goatski

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 01:22:14 PM »
Clackers, the amount of times I injured my hand as the wooden balls got out of control!
I had more fun with a corrugated plastic tube that you whirled around and around, making a whistling sound.
Also... free with some comics, a folded cardboard triangle with a brown paper insert that made a loud 'crack' sound when you swished it in a tight arc.

Chalkie

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 01:46:53 PM »
Remember them all well.

CMcG

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 07:40:01 PM »
Sometimes we made our own (disgusting) fun lol. For a year or two in my childhood (1960s), lollypop stick competitions were the 'in' thing, you smote your opponent's stick (laid across their two index fingers) using your own stick, either you or they won depending on which stick survived, a bit like conkers lol. So sometimes if you had a good stick, it became a 'seven- er' or an 'eleven-er' or whatever.

Now the gross bit... you had collected your stick from the ground, where someone had discarded it... yuk...
... but it didn't kill us.  :)

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Chalkie

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 07:48:14 PM »
I got my best sticks after someone else licked them!