Author Topic: Marriage Record from 1882  (Read 360 times)

fiona_allison

Marriage Record from 1882
« on: October 22, 2019, 12:11:32 PM »
Ehllo, be really grateful to receive any help, making family tree for my mum's 70th birthday and all going reasonably well, but I've stalled due to a missing marriage certificate which I hope will have details of 3x great grandparents on there!

According to a note on a birth certificate I have, my 2x ggp were married 25/12/1882 in Belfast.  Groom - Hugh (possibly William) Collins and Bride - Elizabeth (possibly Lizzie) Mearns.  The first of their children, Annie Collins, was also born in Ireland, presume Belfast and thereafter they moved across to Scotland, to work on the Craigmaddie reservoir.

I am ideally looking for names of Hugh's parents and Lizzie's parents to go back another generation there.  Hugh I understand from a later census was born in Wales, and although he is Hugh on every census and his children's BCs, on one he is named as William Collins.  From that I have a possible lead on his father being William Hugh Collins as I found him, Hugh and a pile of siblings on 1861 census in England, but no mother.  His siblings names on the census are all those of Hugh's own later children's names suggesting that he named them after his siblings.

Any help appreciated! I know info can be scarce in Ireland

Fi

CMcG

Re: Marriage Record from 1882
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 12:29:47 PM »

I can't see a civil registration, no matter, I can see a likely candidate in the form of a transcript of the church record of the marriage, it did indeed take place on Christmas Day 1882 in St. Patrick's RC Church Belfast, the transcript shows William Collins, with an address of 'Barracks', marrying Elizabeth Mearns of York Street, the groom's parents were recorded as William and Isabella Collins, the bride's parents as Michael and Elizabeth Mearns. The witnesses were James Mearns and Margaret Mearns.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 01:08:50 PM »

... I know info can be scarce in Ireland ...

Yes, it may become much more problematic with the next generation back, you will be relying on the likes of church records, the availability of which is far from comprehensive and the content of which is far from conclusive. From what you said about the Collins side and given the address of 'Barracks' in the 1882 marriage record, it may well be that your focus for them should be on Britain. 

As far as Michael and Elizabeth Mearns are concerned, nothing conclusive is jumping out at me, but I can see that a couple called Michael Mearns and Elizabeth McConachy (and variant spellings) living in the Coleraine area registered the births of a number of children from 1865 to 1881, Michael died in 1904 with a reported age of 64, that would allow for a marriage c.1860, maybe a daughter Elizabeth was one of the earlier (pre civil registration) children for this couple?  Purely a speculative punt, so just to note for now, until it can be ruled in or out.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

fiona_allison

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 01:33:44 PM »
That's absolutely brilliant!  Thank you so much for replies, really means a lot.  Kind regards, Fiona

CMcG

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 04:44:41 PM »

... The first of their children, Annie Collins, was also born in Ireland, presume Belfast and thereafter they moved across to Scotland, to work on the Craigmaddie reservoir ...

Presumption correct.  :)

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1883/02716/1999502.pdf

CMcG

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 09:02:02 AM »

... a couple called Michael Mearns and Elizabeth McConachy (and variant spellings) living in the Coleraine area registered the births of a number of children from 1865 to 1881, Michael died in 1904 with a reported age of 64, that would allow for a marriage c.1860, maybe a daughter Elizabeth was one of the earlier (pre civil registration) children for this couple? ...

Just to add to the above suggestion, I have found that Michael Meran and Eliza McConahy did indeed have a daughter Elizabeth pre civil registration, she was baptised on 11 October 1863 in Coleraine RC parish, she was probably born very shortly before that date, the sponsors were Cornelius Doherty and Mary Connor, you can see the baptismal record here (5th entry down on right page):

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632973#page/3/mode/1up

The surname for this family seems to vary between Mearn, Mearns, Meran, Merans, Mern, and Merns (there may be other variants).

CMcG

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 09:43:54 AM »

I can't see any Coleraine parish marriages online for this era, however the earliest baptism I can see for a child to Michael and Elizabeth was for James baptised on 2 December 1860 (in the the August 1843 - August 1863 register), so that may provide some indication of when the couple were married.

HelenWoove

Marriage Record from 1882
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 05:59:12 AM »
I tried searching the forum for an example but i couldnt find any. I need a way to copy a record from one table to another.
Any suggestion or hints on how to achieve this?