Author Topic: Belfast recognises it's WW2 Victoria Cross hero  (Read 455 times)

Billy Fish

Re: Belfast recognises it's WW2 Victoria Cross hero
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 09:15:22 PM »
I'm a bit baffled by this thread ? The Irish times article was published in 1999 and the book published in 1998 ?
To my knowledge hero Magennis VC was always recognised by the people of Belfast. Has something new unfolded ?  ???
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

Jack The Kipper

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 07:46:12 AM »

Mr James Magennis VC once said that in England his VC is a medal round his neck, in Northern Ireland it's a millstone round his neck.
God Bless President Trump! God Bless Israel....and God Bless Big Rosie up our street!!!

GandT

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 12:45:01 PM »

Mr James Magennis VC once said that in England his VC is a medal round his neck, in Northern Ireland it's a millstone round his neck.
[/quote

And he couldn't have expressed better and more poignantly our sad little insular attitudes and capacity to judge our own people by the narrowest of views.

GandT

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 12:51:48 PM »
I am not sure that Magennis was 'always' recognised by the 'people of Belfast'. There were ambivalent attitudes from both communities for different reasons. Mind you, I agree that circumstances had changed a good while ago and that both main communities have a broader understanding of the valour, courage of Magennis and that WWII was a war in which we owe at least gratitude to ALL allied forces.

JackM

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 01:18:55 PM »
I'm a bit baffled by this thread ? The Irish times article was published in 1999 and the book published in 1998 ?
To my knowledge hero Magennis VC was always recognised by the people of Belfast. Has something new unfolded ?  ???

Yes indeed. Very old articles quoted ?   ???
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

Jack The Kipper

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 07:38:01 AM »
Belfast recognises it's WW2 Victoria Cross hero.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/belfast-finally-recognises-its-second-world-war-vc-hero-1.236594

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magennis-VC-Northern-Irelands-Victoria/dp/095330180X

Remembering Northern Irelands Victoria Cross holder from WW2 at this Remembrance weekend......at the going down of the sun and in the morn we will remember!!!!
God Bless President Trump! God Bless Israel....and God Bless Big Rosie up our street!!!

Number26

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 02:18:11 PM »
Lest we forget