Author Topic: Foundry st church  (Read 196 times)

AngieP

Foundry st church
« on: October 29, 2019, 06:50:50 PM »
Can anyone tell me if there is a Protestant church in Foundry St please or in 1930s. Thanks in advance

CMcG

Re: Foundry st church
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 07:57:30 PM »

Bit of a theme happening:

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,78095.msg2168005.html#msg2168005

Can you provide any information behind these requests?

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

AngieP

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 08:10:54 PM »
The relative I am trying to trace is a bit of a mystery. She wasn’t very forthcoming with information regards her family. We have found a bible amongst her possessions inscribed as prize for attendance at Foundry St s. s. which I assumed was a school but someone has informed me that s.s stands for Sunday school hence my question if there is a church in Foundry St.

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 09:19:50 PM »
Have you seen this reference (reply #13)?
http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,43192.0.html[/size]

The poster was last active several weeks ago, so maybe worth sending a message.

The Lennon Wylie website shows a Mission Hall at nos. 86-88 in the 1960 street directory (also there in other directories, including 1932):
https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/fcomplete1960.htm

A local 1911 newspaper article containing a list of Sunday Schools mentions: Church of Christ, 88 Foundry Street, 12 scholars, 1 teacher;

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 09:49:55 PM »

Another local article in 1915 talks about the Newtownards Road Methodist Church having secured a house in Foundry Street and having opened a Sunday School there with 42 scholars. Then a 1917 article talks about a Methodist New Hall having been opened in the street by Rev. E.B. Cullen of Duncairn Gardens, formerly of Newtownards Road, the article says that the Hall has a Sunday School of over 200 scholars. I don't know if it's the same thing, but the 1918 street directory shows the following entry for Foundry Street: 90. Mission Hall.  There are also various newspaper references to 'Foundry Street Mission' and 'Foundry Street Mission Hall', right up to closure in 1973, some alluding to a (former?) Methodist connection.

fred g

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 04:36:08 PM »
there was never a church as such in foundry street, but at the bottom of Gertrude street there was a mission hall. I remember the late ian paisley speaking in it and calling into the gertrude star band practice which was in the last house in Gertrude street the bottom floor was all knocked into one room

AngieP

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 11:57:06 PM »
Thank you everyone think my question has been answered.