Author Topic: Blyth Street Belfast  (Read 276 times)

AngieP

Blyth Street Belfast
« on: November 01, 2019, 12:07:32 AM »
Sorry Iím still looking for ancestors. Can anyone remember Tweedie family who lived no 43 Blyth St in 1920-30s. Names would be Joseph Alexander & Maud or Violet. Childrenís names Jack or John, Thomas Herbert, Cecil, Joseph Alexander and Samuel. Couldíve been known by first or second given names as I understand this was common practice back then. Joseph died in 1929 so his wife could have remarried.

CMcG

Re: Blyth Street Belfast
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 02:57:29 AM »
Cecil Tweedie married Margaret Anderson in Belfast in 1938, a 1956 death notice posted by them also mentions Nancy, Violet and Cecil, R.A.F., Kenya - so maybe their children? According to the Scotland and Northern Ireland Death index on the 'Ancestry' website, Cecil died on 28 June 1999, his last residence was Carrickfergus.

The same website shows a plumber called Thomas H Tweedie sailing to New York in 1948, next of kin given as his wife Mrs. E.M. Tweedie of 24 Kenilworth Street. Which reads across to the following in 1945 (second from bottom):

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 03:27:01 AM »
If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 08:33:26 AM »
John Tweedie mentioned at my reply #1 is buried in the City Cemetery Glenalina Extension with 2 Flemings and a Scott:

https://dof.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialSearch.aspx?GraveSection=Y&GraveNumber=329&CemeteryName=City%20Cemetery%20-%20Glenalina%20Extension

GRONI online shows a marriage on Christmas Day 1933 for a John Tweedie and Marion Fleming, registered at Belfast, it has to be a possibility.

CMcG

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 08:51:00 AM »

With the usual caveat about internet accuracy, someone has already placed family tree information (inc. photo) online about Samuel and the wider family, unfortunately the news about Samuel isn't good: 

http://www.ajlassociates.biz/getperson.php?personID=I22768&tree=frost

http://www.ajlassociates.biz/showmedia.php?mediaID=2734

CMcG

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 10:02:23 AM »

... The same website shows a plumber called Thomas H Tweedie sailing to New York in 1948, next of kin given as his wife Mrs. E.M. Tweedie of 24 Kenilworth Street ...

I can see a 34 year old Esther M. Tweedie and 3 children - 11 year old Thomas H., 8 year old Sarah M. and 4 year old Patricia - sailing to Massachusetts in 1951 for onward travel to Buffalo N.Y., their last address is Pitt Place, Belfast,  pure speculation, but might this be the family following on?

AngieP

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 08:00:50 PM »
Wow that is a lot o f information to follow up. Thank you so much, I havenít had much luck with Ancestry so cancelled my subscription it looks like I wasnít searching in the right place. Kind regards Angie

CMcG

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 08:36:00 AM »

CMcG

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 09:13:46 AM »

I can see a 34 year old Esther M. Tweedie and 3 children - 11 year old Thomas H., 8 year old Sarah M. and 4 year old Patricia - sailing to Massachusetts in 1951 for onward travel to Buffalo N.Y., their last address is Pitt Place, Belfast,  pure speculation, but might this be the family following on?

They must have been back in Ireland for a visit in 1951, for the following article from the  Buffalo New York Courier Express of 1948 suggests that they followed Thomas H. senior only a few months later in 1948:

Note that the GRONI website shows a marriage registered at Belfast for a Thomas Tweedie and Margaret McBirnie, it took place on 20 March 1937 (pay to view).

BTW, the following website is a great resource for NY State newspapers, if you can master the search function (I struggled), you may find other bits and pieces:

https://fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html

CMcG

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2019, 09:19:11 AM »
And this from the Buffalo New York Courier Express of 1969:

Simply googling 'Thomas H. Tweedie' will bring back hits for someone in the Tonawanda area, the age profile of whom would fit the son.  But plenty for you to take forward for now.

AngieP

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 10:53:07 AM »
Thank you again really appreciate your help. I am trying to find relatives of Cecil Tweedie as he died quite recently in the hope his children might have some information regarding my Aunt Eileen. Kind regards Angie

CMcG

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 11:57:50 AM »

Cecil Tweedie married Margaret Anderson in Belfast in 1938, a 1956 death notice posted by them also mentions Nancy, Violet and Cecil, R.A.F., Kenya - so maybe their children? ...

Clutching at straws here, but I wonder if Cecil junior's full name was Thomas Cecil? The UK Electoral registers 2003-2010 show a Thomas Cecil Tweedie with a birth date c. 1948-1950 living at 88 North Road, Carrickfergus BT38 8LZ.