Author Topic: Still searching for Great Grandfather McAuley  (Read 295 times)

star42

Still searching for Great Grandfather McAuley
« on: November 02, 2019, 12:29:10 AM »
I have posted this problem before, and some helpful members have been in contact but to no avail.  My GGrandfather was John McAuley, born approximately 1870.  He married Bridget Toal and according  to the marriage certificate from St. Peterís his fathers name was James,( listed as deceased on church record). He is listed as a baker at that time, but according to family lore he was also a merchant  seaman. A suggestion from a member that Johnís mothers name may have been Mary, no last name. My grandmother, their eldest child of three was named Mary Catherine and her sister was Bridget, there was an infant son (Edward) who died around 1897.  I cannot find any record of John other than what was listed on the marriage lines.  I have tried all the suggested avenues for research but nothing.  Can anyone suggest anything else I can try or does anyone have access to other sites?  I have exhausted Ancestry, the Civil records for Ireland and any where else.  Without his birthdate/birth place, and Mothers name I am pretty much stalled.  Can you help🤞🏻 :( :)  Thank you.

Bread Basket

Re: Still searching for Great Grandfather McAuley
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 12:32:09 PM »
I have posted this problem before, and some helpful members have been in contact but to no avail.  My GGrandfather was John McAuley, born approximately 1870.  He married Bridget Toal and according  to the marriage certificate from St. Peterís his fathers name was James,( listed as deceased on church record). He is listed as a baker at that time, but according to family lore he was also a merchant  seaman. A suggestion from a member that Johnís mothers name may have been Mary, no last name. My grandmother, their eldest child of three was named Mary Catherine and her sister was Bridget, there was an infant son (Edward) who died around 1897.  I cannot find any record of John other than what was listed on the marriage lines.  I have tried all the suggested avenues for research but nothing.  Can anyone suggest anything else I can try or does anyone have access to other sites?  I have exhausted Ancestry, the Civil records for Ireland and any where else.  Without his birthdate/birth place, and Mothers name I am pretty much stalled.  Can you help🤞🏻 :( :)  Thank you.
Iíve had a quick search on the site below but there is no John McAuley recorded.
http://www.irishmariners.ie/index.php

Bread Basket

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 12:48:20 PM »
1901 Census,
Looks like this maybe the family, all names are on target as is the locality, near to St Peters.
As you see Bridget aged 28 is married but John is not resident on the night of the Census.  where is John??
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Falls/Milliken_Street/951938/

Bread Basket

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 12:53:41 PM »
1911 Census,
Bridget has moved house, still in the Falls area, STILL married, 17 years, 3 children 2 of which are still living
no John.... where is he?

Bread Basket

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 01:11:24 PM »
Lennon & Wylie Street Directory

1910.  J McAuley, 153 Falls Rd.  a Baker
1912.  J McAuley, 9 Clonard St.  a Baker.

NB,
the above addresses and those on the 1901 & 1911 Census are all within a stones throw of each other.

Elwyn

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 02:19:50 PM »

My grandmother, their eldest child of three was named Mary Catherine and her sister was Bridget, there was an infant son (Edward) who died around 1897.  I cannot find any record of John other than what was listed on the marriage lines.  I have tried all the suggested avenues for research but nothing.  Can anyone suggest anything else I can try or does anyone have access to other sites?  I have exhausted Ancestry, the Civil records for Ireland and any where else.  Without his birthdate/birth place, and Mothers name I am pretty much stalled.  Can you help🤞🏻 :( :)  Thank you.

I think the child that died was James Edward McAuley. Born 6.6.1898 and died Cyprus St, 19.11.1898. Fatherís occupation was baker on the death certificate, as it also was on Mary Catherineís birth 16.6.1894. (Bridget born 28.6.1896).

Elwyn

star42

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 12:30:21 AM »
Thank you to those that are searching other sites, I appreciate any suggestions you may have.  A possible piece of information that may or may not be helpful.  John might have been employed in the 30ís as a handy man at the convent of the good shepherd in Ballynafeigh.  I have written to the sisters to see if the have any old records, but unfortunately have never received a reply.  Anyway thanks again for your help.

Bread Basket

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 11:42:18 AM »
Good morning star42í

Iím 99% sure that I have found death records for John and Bridget.

They moved around a fair bit and that was mainly in the Falls Rd area of Belfast, however there is one move to Butler St which is off the Crumlin Rd but in truth not that far from the Falls.

Bridget: died 19/4/1931, aged 59, lived at 56 Butler St (house was owned or rented to a Mrs Carson).
Bridgetís death registration is D/1931/56/1007/32/119.
She is buried in Milltown Cemetery, Falls Rd Belfast and is buried in Plot Number VE56 Section B.
She died of Myocardial Degeneration.
John (who is recorded on the death cert as a Baker) was present at death.

John: died 17/5/1945, aged 75, address given was ďlate of 27 Townsend StĒ (which is off the Falls Rd, house was owned or rented to A. Harper who was a Cattle Drover), he died in Our Ladyís Hospital.
Johnís death registration is D/1945/1007/87/18.
He is buried in Milltown Cemetery, Falls Rd and is buried in Plot Number DG41 Section A. The burial plots are about 50yards or so apart.   
http://www.belfastcemeterysearch.com/milltown/maps-3/milltown-section-map/
John died of Carcinoma of the Pharynx.
John is recorded on his death cert as a Baker.

Hopefully this will give you something to go on and may help with your further research.

The folk on here are pretty helpful. If you are not local to Belfast you could may wish to make a post and ask if anyone could take photos of both graves for you. Staff at the main Cemetery gate and also the gravediggers on site would be able to pinpoint the graves and therefore quite easy to find.

You could also contact the Belfast Newspaper Library in Library St, Belfast, [size=78%]https://www.librariesni.org.uk/pages/Contactus.aspx[/size]
And ask for copies of any death notices that may appear in The Irish News for the dates of death, this in turn may lead to finding out other relatives.

Good luck with your search.