Author Topic: How do I find this record?  (Read 236 times)

80sChild

How do I find this record?
« on: November 04, 2019, 03:33:23 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I used the Family search website for the first time this evening, and was wondering is it possible to find a 'certificate' online of a record I found there?

I usually use Irish Genealogy or GRONI, so I'm used to seeing 'official' documentation.

I can not find that on Family search, and when I put the details it gives me into either GRONI or Irish Genealogy, it gives me no results?

Name: James Lindsay Culbert
Event Type: Birth
Event Date: Jan - Mar 1902
Event Place: Belfast, Ireland
Registration Quarter and Year: Jan - Mar 1902
Registration District: Belfast
Volume Number: 1

This is the information on Family Search. Can I find the 'official' source online?

Thank you.

CMcG

Re: How do I find this record?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 08:53:00 AM »
It's here (registered in 1902, but born in 1901 - it's just something you always have to watch for when searching):

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1902/01925/1745783.pdf

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

80sChild

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 03:21:01 PM »
It's here (registered in 1902, but born in 1901 - it's just something you always have to watch for when searching):

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1902/01925/1745783.pdf

Thank you so much once again CMcG!

I should be paying you a wage haha!

Youíre the best!

While Iíve got your attention - Is there any reason why the Motherís maiden name on this record would be different to the rest of the children? (I know this to be what Iím looking for as the address is the same, and the childís second name is his Grannyís maiden name)

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 11:23:12 AM »

... Is there any reason why the Motherís maiden name on this record would be different to the rest of the children? ...

The balance of probability certainly points to Martha Kelly as the mother, the reason for 'Dunlop' being recorded ultimately lies with the informant Mary Ann Heaney... do you know who she is? For example, if she was just a local 'handy woman' present to assist the birth, she may not have known that much about Martha's background, or it may have been a simple breakdown in communication.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

80sChild

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 04:19:37 AM »
The balance of probability certainly points to Martha Kelly as the mother, the reason for 'Dunlop' being recorded ultimately lies with the informant Mary Ann Heaney... do you know who she is? For example, if she was just a local 'handy woman' present to assist the birth, she may not have known that much about Martha's background, or it may have been a simple breakdown in communication.

Yeah, I also think that Martha Kelly is the Mother. I have not (yet) uncovered Mary Ann Heaney, so maybe your presumptions are correct.

I've had a nightmare with Martha. I can not find out anything about her, apart from her marriage to James, and that she had a Daughter Martha in a workhouse with a 'Unknown' on the birth record. She's an enigma.

Thank you so much for you help again CMcG  :-*