Author Topic: I'm looking to find the name of a Cafe in Belfast city centre  (Read 814 times)

GT59

I'm looking to find the name of a Cafe in Belfast city centre
« on: November 08, 2019, 06:17:16 PM »
Hi I,m doing some writing and I looking for the name of a Restaurant, Cafe that I remember as a child in the 1960's. The street is no longer there just a great lump of concrete and glass known as Castle Court.
The street was Garfield Street (not lower garfield street)
The Cafe as I remember it had 2 entrances one led into a coffee bar type place with a large espresso Machine behind the counter, the other entrance had a normal chippy/restaurant feel about it with small wooden cubicles.
My Mum would order a plate of chips tea bread and butter as a treat on her Saturday shop in the town. I think I recall the women who worked there were all very similar, small round women, very friendly in their wrap around coveralls.
Any information would be appreciated, if I have remembered everything wrongly please forgive me , but I was a 7 year old boy who only wanted a few chip and to go up the street to the magic box  and then to Harry Halls to get some comics

Argo

Re: I'm looking to find the name of a Cafe in Belfast city centre
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 06:32:52 PM »
Capri Coffee Bar next to Garfield Cafe by any chance?

GT59

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 06:42:26 PM »
Thanks for the info, it fits the coffee bar next to a Cafe.
I was beginning to think I had imagined it, This means I can add this information into my writing and continue
with some sort of accuracy.
This has bugged me for years and now that I have found this forum and can put my menories to the test.

Thanks again

Argo

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 06:56:32 PM »
Thanks for the info, it fits the coffee bar next to a Cafe.
I was beginning to think I had imagined it, This means I can add this information into my writing and continue
with some sort of accuracy.
This has bugged me for years and now that I have found this forum and can put my menories to the test.

Thanks again
You are welcome and good luck with your work.

arkie two

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 11:42:47 AM »
DEF. THE GARFIELD. DEL. MEAT TO IT WHEN I WORKED IN WEBBS.

seosamh

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 11:49:05 AM »
called the Garfield cafe their chips were beautiful, and they were wrapped in brown paper too lol

arkie two

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 12:02:58 PM »
AHHHHHHHHH. THE GOOD OLD DAYS. MUSTN'T BEEN ANY GERMS KNOCKING ABOUT THEN I REM THEM GETTING WRAPPED UP IN A PAGE OF THE TELEGRAPH. YOU COULD'A NEARLY READ THE NEWS OF THEM.

CMcG

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 12:27:42 PM »
Entry for Garfield Street in the 1960 street directory on the Lennon Wylie website:

9. Capri Coffee Bar
11a. Garfield Cafe
11. Lyons, L. A., accountant & auditor
"   Hughes, John M., solicitor
"   Barton, Sean D., & Co., chartered accountants and auditors
"   Vacant

Belfast Tele, 24 Dec 1969:

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

arkie two

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 08:48:14 AM »
gee. where did the time go.

brickie

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 09:25:48 AM »
AHHHHHHHHH. THE GOOD OLD DAYS. MUSTN'T BEEN ANY GERMS KNOCKING ABOUT THEN I REM THEM GETTING WRAPPED UP IN A PAGE OF THE TELEGRAPH. YOU COULD'A NEARLY READ THE NEWS OF THEM.
.  Ha ha ha good one  :)

Nick The Greek

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 01:02:01 PM »
As noted, there were two cafes in Garfield Street; one was a rather striking coffee bar called the Capri, the other was the Garfield.  My parents worked in the GPO and I remember being in them both as a kid.  I seem to recall that they shared the same kitchen.  The Capri had one of those lovely old stainless steel and chrome Gaggia type coffee machines, replete with a tap for Bovril.  The counter was vaguely futuristic in a 50s kind of way with formica/chrome top.  On the other hand, the Garfield (also known as Toni's) was more of a workhorse affair, wooden booths and counter, fish & chips sort of menu.  I was last in the Capri sometime in the early-to-mid 80s before it and the GPO were hauled down, and (I think) the same old dears were still working there.  I wish to god I had taken some pictures before it disappeared. I don't suppose anyone on here has any, or knows of any that have been posted?  As an aside, my parents worked with a fella called Manny Stirling who was born in a  house in Garfield Street and must have had one of the shortest walks to work in Belfast (across the street to the side door of the GPO).  And another thing...Belfast's first(?) vegetarian café was in Garfield Street, it was called the Nemo.