Author Topic: Searching for family of my great grandfather Joseph mortleigh SMYTH  (Read 245 times)

Alanranderson2

Joseph mortleigh SMYTH ,DOB 10 December 1850 was born in Belfast.He had at least one brother ..George Byron Smyth born 1848. Joseph apparently had a private education. I have a letter he was given from st Andrews church as a reference in 1873 signed by the reverend Busby.
He and his brother migrated to New Zealand in 1874 so I know some of his history in nz and also Australia.
I donít know what happened to his brother George.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alan Anderson

JimG

Re: Searching for family of my great grandfather Joseph mortleigh SMYTH
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 07:35:25 PM »
Realizing that few NZ records are available free and on line, so filling in NZ details over to you.   However the information most useful for the Belfast search will be any event that you have showing the occupation or past skill in New Zealand in their early migrant jobs  or their marriages eg on the later Joseph Mortleigh Smyth m Kate Agatha Canty in 1880 source familysearch.org , have you acquired all further info details reguired by clergy or registrar etc. for that marriage .  Are there any hints to his fathers name or other relatives present

One hint might connect to the Smyths of Belfast area via street directories eg 1868 were they the sons of 
Smyth, Clarence, Middle Park, Greencastle
Smyth, Henry, Cairnburn Villa, Strandtown
Smyth, Rev. Hugh, Feldonville, Whitehouse
Smyth, James, Seaview, Ballymacarrett

or of the 81 Smyth listed separately as within Belfast normal, could they already be independent eg
Smyth, George (of the firm of Lindsay Brothers); res. 26 University Square
Smyth, George, tailor, 81 Queen Street North
Smyth, Joseph, fitter, 6 Melbourne Court
there are two sources for Belfast directories, the 1868 above is from the unique Mary Lennons  website http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk  where she has many more. the other is https://streetdirectories.proni.gov.uk before 1900

From another source The Whuttle ie Capt Jock of rootschat knows   The settlements in NZ were sponsored by George Vesey STEWART, son of Captain Mervyn STEWART of Moutray , Ballygawley, Co. Tyrone.  The lands at Kati-Kati were chosen for their ideal climate and rich easily-cultivated soil. Such proved very beneficial for the health & wealth of the emigrants. Does Kati-Kati (about 30 miles from the port of Taurango) feature in your family history?
the first expedition with 238 folks aboard the "Carisbrooke Castle" of 1,400 tons left Belfast on 18-jun-1875 and arriving Auckland 08-sep1875.]
the second migration the "Lady Jocelyn" (sailed out of Carrickfergus on 20-05-1878 with 378 passengers, destined for the second STEWART settlement in NZ.
That passenger list might exist, help please. and should lead to other clues so far no luck  however your date is 1874 the following year Any thoughts

My other thoughts, second names like Byron and Mortleigh are unusual and should lead to further clues  but so far no luck , not turning up a surname anywhere,.
 so thatís my starter hoping others will join in soon

Alanranderson2

Re: Searching for family of my great grandfather Joseph mortleigh SMYTH
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 11:38:34 PM »
Thank you Jim G for your research.I is much appreciated.I will now follow through and see what else I can find.
Alan Anderson