Author Topic: When was Fairview Gardens area of Ballyduff built & what was there beforehand?  (Read 424 times)

Tony1818

Hi all, trying to find out where the 13 Fairview Gardens my Aunt married from in 1935 is.  Marriage was at St Matthews in Bryson Street, Belfast & her address was either Carryduff or Barryduff.
I cannot find any reference to Fairview in Carryduff, apart from comment number 8 in this topic http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=6889.0 
I then found Fairview Gardens in Ballyduff, Newtownabbey which is very promising if we accept Barryduff off marriage cert as Ballyduff.
But looking at the current houses in the Fairview Gardens area of Ballyduff, (with google street view) the houses appear to be too modern for 1935 and probably 1960s vintage. 
So, does anyone know when this area was built & if that was after 1935, what was there beforehand?  Thanks, Tony.

CMcG

There are several newspaper references to 'Fairview Gardens, Carryduff' from the 1930s up to July 1962, when this appears:

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

There are also several newspaper references to indicate a long military association with Carryduff, for example, Cedar Valley in Carryduff was being used to house some 30-40 families in the 1940s, but originated as an army camp in the 1914-18 war.  Carryduff Camp was the location for US soldiers and European refugees in the 1939-45 war. I imagine that the huts in these camps were cold, I know from one newspaper article that they were a fire risk, I would  surmise that Fairview Gardens was part of that same military accommodation context and that it disappeared when the huts in the above notice were sold off, maybe to be replaced with better, permanent housing, who knows, I'm just guessing... A local could probably confirm for you.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Tony1818

Hi CMcG, that's really interesting info about the corrugated army huts, what newspaper archives are you searching, in case I can look myself, is it on FindMyPast or elsewhere?
 It's of interesting because I have family photo (no date or where apart from Belfast on back) that shows family outside what looks like a 'prefab' building.  As that comment on forum post I mentioned, suggests families were housed in Fairview Gardens, Carryduff, then perhaps your info could link family photo & Aunts marriage to here.
I have previously contacted Carryduff Historical Society & Carryduff Library querying whether there was a Fairview Gardens in Carryduff, but never got a reply from either of them.  Wish I'd tried on here first!  Thanks CMcG, it's appreciated. Tony

CMcG

It's the 'British Newspaper Archive' website, which is a 'Findmypast' company. There are about 20 published items for 'Fairview Gardens, Carryduff' (the usual sort of thing, from an ad selling a reconditioned Ford engine to death notices).

Since the earliest items are from the mid 1930s, I'm assuming that the huts for sale in 1962 under the 'label' of Fairview Gardens were of 1914-18 origin.

It's frustrating that the Carryduff Historical Society and Library didn't get back to you, for local knowledge is definitely the key to this, there is very little on-line. But hopefully someone will see your topic here.

BTW, I think you can disregard the Ballyduff Fairview Gardens, my family lived a long while nearby to that area and I remember stories of the developers finding old coins when the serious building work of the red brick houses and bungalows was taking place in Ballyduff and Carnmoney more generally, but that was in the 1960s/70s.

CMcG

Just to add, that the highest no. I've found referenced in newspapers for Fairview Gardens in Carryduff is no. 16... that would seem to contradict the 1962 sale notice, but one wouldn't know what had happened there, maybe some of the poorer properties were demolished... 

There are PRONI Will Calendar Index entries for folk from this street, also burials on the Belfast City Council website.

Tony1818

Hi CMcG, you've been busy, thanks for all the info. I've spotted a 1930 burial for number 16 Fairview Gardens in Carryduff, so agree with you that Ballyduff Fairview Gardens can be ignored, the houses looked too modern anyway.
I'm going to try Carryduff Historical Society and Library again and see if I get a response. The Carryduff Historical Society have a Facebook page and although my message to them was 'read' it never appeared on their Facebook page. My daughter has told me another way to contact them (I'm getting too old for all this technology stuff) so I might recruit her to post it for me.  Is it okay for us to include that for sale notice, as it might generate more interest and should I source it as from the  'British Newspaper Archive'? Thanks again. Tony.

CMcG

Absolutely, I imagine that anyone who was reared there and now into their 70s upwards may remember it, it would be interesting to hear where it was located in terms of today's geography.

Tony1818

Will let you know what response I get, if any.  Tony.