Author Topic: Dee Street Cannons?  (Read 799 times)

Goatski

Dee Street Cannons?
« on: November 15, 2019, 09:13:47 PM »
Directly opposite Mersey Street at it's junction with Dee Street, is a short passageway or entry.At one end of the passageway protruding from the ground, there are at first glance, what would appear to be the muzzles of a pair of cannons.

Possibly they are just fancy metal posts?  They have been there for as long as I can remember and although I have not really looked at them in many long years, I seem to recall that each one has the Belfast coat-of-arms and the 'muzzle end' is octagonal.  Does anyone know anything about them?

CMcG

Re: Dee Street Cannons?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 10:51:11 PM »
I don't know... certainly old:

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

richard mccann

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 02:35:24 AM »
Goatski-- We used to sit on them when we were kids I am going back 70yrs. In and around Mersey St and Dee St they were always known as the stumps.  The only reason can think of as to their use would be to stop traffic going into Humber St. Those fences and that greenery were never there when we were kids. cheers rmc

Goatski

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 12:39:16 PM »
Goatski-- We used to sit on them when we were kids I am going back 70yrs. In and around Mersey St and Dee St they were always known as the stumps.  The only reason can think of as to their use would be to stop traffic going into Humber St. Those fences and that greenery were never there when we were kids. cheers rmc
If these are just fancy traffic bollards and not cannon, I wonder then if they were mass produced?   I cannot recall seeing anything even remotely like them anywhere else. 

Billy Fish

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 03:17:06 PM »
I have seen these before in various guises. Different bollards of different sizes / styles were made for 'Belfast Corporation' over the years. City boundary bollards of different sizes / styles were also made. If they were for 'Belfast Corporation', it would inevitably have had the Belfast Coat of Arms with the Pro Tanto Quid motto. I remember very similar posts at steps between Canmore Street and Bellevue Street on the Shankill Road. Hexagonal at the top, but of smaller diameter. There was a photo of them on the Shankill revisited site, but as it was uploaded using tinypic, it has now disappeared. As far as I am aware, most of these bollards were cast at the foundry of a company called Musgraves at Bridge End.  :)
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

Billy Fish

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 03:38:06 PM »
I don't know... certainly old:

I suspect originally these had a fancy top of some description, which have been removed and concrete added.  :)
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

CMcG

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 09:31:23 PM »
There were historical problems with traffic around Humber Street, no doubt to do with its location, I wonder if the bollards were part of that context?

For example, this from 1911:

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Billy Fish

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 04:02:11 PM »
I have seen these before in various guises. Different bollards of different sizes / styles were made for 'Belfast Corporation' over the years. City boundary bollards of different sizes / styles were also made. If they were for 'Belfast Corporation', it would inevitably have had the Belfast Coat of Arms with the Pro Tanto Quid motto. I remember very similar posts at steps between Canmore Street and Bellevue Street on the Shankill Road. Hexagonal at the top, but of smaller diameter. There was a photo of them on the Shankill revisited site, but as it was uploaded using tinypic, it has now disappeared. As far as I am aware, most of these bollards were cast at the foundry of a company called Musgraves at Bridge End.  :)

Sorry, it should have read at the steps between Sugarfield Strret and Canmore Street. I always wondered why bollards were placed on the steps there. ???
Support Soldier F

Billy Fish

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 04:02:58 PM »
There were historical problems with traffic around Humber Street, no doubt to do with its location, I wonder if the bollards were part of that context?

For example, this from 1911:

I think you have it there CMcG.  O0
Support Soldier F

GandT

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 07:59:12 PM »
That's a really quick and very relevant response CMcG - wish I was as good on the research and IT. The street names are always evocative to me - Dee Street, Mersey Street and so on. Was at a meeting a couple of years back close to the Oval -where I used to be at every home game before we left the Far East long, long ago. Asked a few people who were there where Central Street had been and they indicated where but everything was so changed that I tried to super-impose the the old lay-out as I remembered it; it suddenly seemed just like vacant air as all our yesterdays do

CMcG

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 08:23:39 AM »

... As far as I am aware, most of these bollards were cast at the foundry of a company called Musgraves at Bridge End.

O0

If you scroll down slightly in the link below, there is a picture of a boundary marker for the Victoria Ward in Belfast, I think there is a strong resemblance of the upper portion of this marker to the bollards at Dee Street - ie. the octagonal bit with a round band underneath, some decorative fluting below that, then the Belfast Coat of Arms - although this marker has retained the 'cap' on top, unlike the Dee Street bollards:

http://lordbelmontinnorthernireland.blogspot.com/2011/09/pick-of-crop.html

Here's a close-up:

CMcG

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 08:55:03 AM »
Unfortunately I can't get this Dee Street example any clearer, but hopefully enough detail here to see the similarity:

richard mccann

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 04:02:52 AM »
GandT- You mentionedthat Dee St and Mersey St were evocative names to you did you live around the district ? I lived in Harkness Parade which ran into the oval. We used to climb over at the railway corner when we were kids this was in the 50/s. Where do the glens play now ? From what I could gather from your post they have moved from the Oval I am sure the supporters would have been against that decision . I dont know alot about them now I have been in Australia the past 58yrs  Rmc

Billy Fish

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 08:58:51 PM »
GandT- You mentionedthat Dee St and Mersey St were evocative names to you did you live around the district ? I lived in Harkness Parade which ran into the oval. We used to climb over at the railway corner when we were kids this was in the 50/s. Where do the glens play now ? From what I could gather from your post they have moved from the Oval I am sure the supporters would have been against that decision . I dont know alot about them now I have been in Australia the past 58yrs  Rmc

Glens are still at the Oval, but have been approached by a Supermarket chain to sell the land.  ::)
Support Soldier F

Jack The Kipper

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2019, 07:29:30 AM »

In the name of good god!!!...I replied to this thread yesterday to say that there is one of these markers at the Napoleons Nose, which is true,  and I see it has been removed....Did I insult Napoleon?
God Bless President Trump! God Bless Israel....and God Bless Big Rosie up our street!!!