Author Topic: Dee Street Cannons?  (Read 798 times)

Number26

Re: Dee Street Cannons?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2019, 08:40:12 AM »
Lol jack,just saw that,bit crazy to remove it ???

GandT

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2019, 11:54:58 AM »

In the name of good god!!!...I replied to this thread yesterday to say that there is one of these markers at the Napoleons Nose, which is true,  and I see it has been removed....Did I insult Napoleon?

Mais oui, Jacques!

JackM

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2019, 01:33:03 PM »
O0

If you scroll down slightly in the link below, there is a picture of a boundary marker for the Victoria Ward in Belfast, I think there is a strong resemblance of the upper portion of this marker to the bollards at Dee Street - ie. the octagonal bit with a round band underneath, some decorative fluting below that, then the Belfast Coat of Arms - although this marker has retained the 'cap' on top, unlike the Dee Street bollards:

http://lordbelmontinnorthernireland.blogspot.com/2011/09/pick-of-crop.html

Here's a close-up:

These were common or garden around Belfast at one time. Literally thousands of them. Manufactured to the account of Belfast Corporation.   :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

JackM

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2019, 01:46:04 PM »
I have seen these before in various guises. Different bollards of different sizes / styles were made for 'Belfast Corporation' over the years. City boundary bollards of different sizes / styles were also made. If they were for 'Belfast Corporation', it would inevitably have had the Belfast Coat of Arms with the Pro Tanto Quid motto. I remember very similar posts at steps between Canmore Street and Bellevue Street on the Shankill Road. Hexagonal at the top, but of smaller diameter. There was a photo of them on the Shankill revisited site, but as it was uploaded using tinypic, it has now disappeared. As far as I am aware, most of these bollards were cast at the foundry of a company called Musgraves at Bridge End.  :)

Agreed.   :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F