Author Topic: 1911 census  (Read 341 times)

oscarpoppy

1911 census
« on: November 18, 2019, 07:04:48 PM »
I am trying to find my get grandmother mary coleman who married edward Vincent O'Donnell 22.3.1925.  It says on marriage she is full age and that her father is john coleman a labourer. They were living in 99 Cavendish st and were married in st Paul's.
I can find edward in 1911 in tralee street father james O'Donnell  but no sign of mary or in 1901 census.
Would anyone be able to see if they can find her maybe I have missed something.
Thanks Lynn

JimG

Re: 1911 census
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 04:59:41 PM »
Welcome Lynn to Belfast Forum, I didnt find her either  I tried english census 1911 but nothing relevant,  give it more time.

I first tried street directories ie http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk confirming a O'Donnell, J., carpenter, 25 Tralee Street existed in 1908, 1918.
then checked church and civil records at https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/  and to my surprise I found no marriage Coleman/O’Donnell under St Pauls 125 Falls Rd, Belfast BT12 6AB has your record got any other information.
[Later I found out  another church C of I St Pauls Belfast existed at 210 York Street Belfast BT15 1JJ and is currently referred to as St Paul and Barnabas Church,but that’s a red herring]

The 1911 Census shows your family as Catholic and Edward to be Edward Vincent O'Donnell aged 11 with father James O'Donnell b~1851 Armagh City and mother Elizabeth Co Tyrone so when Edward married he was about 25 the 1901 census extra detail shows he was 1 in April 1901 so bbb April 1899 and April 1900.  At this time he was the only child b in Belfast. All his living syblings b before 1897 in Co.Tyrone.

I found possibles if she was b before 1911 but the fathers name was always wrong.Could Mary Coleman/Colman be Mary Dominic Coleman in 1911 census as 16 in Jubilee Avenue (Duncairn, Antrim) but daughter of a johnor Mary E Coleman dau of a Patrick b Co Armagh at  21 in Spinner Street (Falls, Antrim).

I ended up searching for John the father but there are many more than Mary 

The only connection repeating itself in street directories and census were a couple of different RIC policemen living at 99 Cavendish st, making me wonder were they uncles to the family or just complete coincidences.   

I think GRONI Belfast may allow you to see entries for after1911 or 1922 for about £2.50 per entry  and realise just seek one entry at a time. The family should be buried Millfield have you tried them, eg http://www.belfastcemeterysearch.com/milltown/mgs/section-4.html

so lets hope some expert repliers respond to you..Good Luck

oscarpoppy

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 09:05:34 PM »
Jim
Thank you so much for taking the time to look.
The marriage cert says Roman Catholic Church St Paul's in the register district of urban no9 RC.
This family are causing me so much grief: Mary had a son John Coleman O'Donnell 3.4.1936 but birth cert says no father so assume that Edward is not the father. The story in the family is that he was brought up by strangers so I am trying to find out as much as I can about Mary and as you can see she is being elusive.
Do you know if there is anyway to find out if John stayed with Mary after she had him baptised? it states on birth cert that they were living in 16 Kane Street. She also baptised John in St Paul's 28.4.1937 with a sponsor Kathleen Kelly.
I am going to ring the church to ask if they have banns for the marriage as they may give a little more information.
Again thanks for the look up
lynn

oscarpoppy

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 09:15:46 PM »
Jim I have just looked at the street directory thank you so much I have her in Kane street right up to 1960
Lynn