Author Topic: 51 Lisburn Road?  (Read 338 times)

archworth

51 Lisburn Road?
« on: November 27, 2019, 01:20:35 AM »
My Gr.Grandfather Samuel Bowman died at this address  51 Lisburn Road on 28 February 1910...it seems to be some sort of an institution .  Everyone on the register for this date died at the same place and the person who reported the death is all the same R,H. Wilson.
What sort of place was this.?
Any and all information much appreciated.

CMcG

Re: 51 Lisburn Road?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 01:37:01 AM »
It was the Union Workhouse (and Infirmary), forerunner to what is there today - the Belfast City Hospital:

https://www.ums.ac.uk/inst/hbch_dc.pdf

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 02:00:57 AM »
If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Elwyn

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 03:51:50 PM »
     Prior to the creation of the National Health Service in 1947, people mostly had to pay for medical treatment. There were exceptions and one was the Workhouse hospital. Most workhouses had an infirmary attached. Probably originally that was intended only for workhouse inmates but as time progressed it is evident that people presented themselves at the workhouse for medical treatment rather than because they were destitute.

If you look at the Belfast workhouse admission records (which are in PRONI), you can usually tell whether someone was already in the workhouse when they went into the hospital. If they originally sought accommodation they are recorded as being admitted to the workhouse. If needing medical treatment on arrival, it usually says to the infirmary.

When the workhouse system was closed down in the 1940s, and replaced by the welfare state, most of the infirmaries continued to operate and were admitted to the fledgling NHS system. That happened in Belfast, and as CMcG has explained, it became what is now Belfast City hospital. One or two of the original buildings are still there, though mostly its a modern hospital.

Elwyn

Tipperdarby

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 06:14:08 PM »
It was the Union Workhouse (and Infirmary), forerunner to what is there today - the Belfast City Hospital:

https://www.ums.ac.uk/inst/hbch_dc.pdf

CMcG,
Thank you so much for this very interesting story, I found it fascinating. It was desperately sad at times but Dr Craig had such a good sense of humour that it also had me laughing. It is a cold snowy day here in Calgary so I am sitting by the fire in my warm comfortable home counting my blessings.

I trained as a State Registered Nurse in the BCH and it was a very happy time of my life, I loved being a nurse and I loved the City Hospital.

Another reason the story was of great interest to me was because my Paternal Grandparents were both in and out of the Workhouse in the early 1900s. I was devastated when I discovered that!
We have so much to be thankful for nowadays, my ancestors on both sides of my family were very poor people and I am grateful to them for the resiliency and the strength of character they must have had to be able to live under such very trying circumstances. My Dad and his brothers were all gentle loving souls. My Dad had a wonderful optimistic view of life despite having been orphaned at 7 years of age.

I love this genealogy obsession of mine...when I discover a new ancestor I feel I am honouring their life by adding them to my tree. Plus I am discovering branches of my family that I had no idea existed.
This thread is an excellent resource for many of us and I thank you CMcG and all the other people who are so willing to help.
Eileen

archworth

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 02:21:35 PM »
Thank you to all who replied and read this post. Your help and interest in solving this is much appreciated.

Raystephenson

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 02:14:31 PM »
CMcG, This looks very interesting.

I was once told that people who died in work houses. Where sometimes listed as dying at their previous address to save embarrassment on the remaining members of the family.

Thank you for sharing this story.  :)