Author Topic: Dorrians of Belfast  (Read 220 times)

Atomic440

Dorrians of Belfast
« on: November 28, 2019, 01:11:24 AM »
I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out with some family history.

My maternal grandmother was born Rosaleen Rodgers and lived in Alexander St West / Derby St. From what I've found out from research, she married a Jim Dorrian, who was from Cullingtree Road.

My grandmother moved to Canada in 1949 and she had my mother there in 1951. I have a passenger list from 1949 where my grandmother moved to Toronto under her maiden name. Jim's name isn't present on that passenger list, nor is any other Dorrian. So I don't know if she married him in Canada. I believe her and my mum moved back to Belfast in the late 50s.

Unfortunately my mum and grandmother have passed away. My mum never really spoke about her dad and it was only recently I discovered his name is likely to be Jim. So unfortunately I can't get any further details from my living relatives.

I've plenty of info about my grandmother's family but nothing really about my grandfather. If anybody knows who he might have been, who his family was/is, that would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help shed some light on this mysterious branch of my family tree.

Bread Basket

Re: Dorrians of Belfast
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 01:04:24 PM »
I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out with some family history.

My maternal grandmother was born Rosaleen Rodgers and lived in Alexander St West / Derby St. From what I've found out from research, she married a Jim Dorrian, who was from Cullingtree Road.

My grandmother moved to Canada in 1949 and she had my mother there in 1951. I have a passenger list from 1949 where my grandmother moved to Toronto under her maiden name. Jim's name isn't present on that passenger list, nor is any other Dorrian. So I don't know if she married him in Canada. I believe her and my mum moved back to Belfast in the late 50s.

Unfortunately my mum and grandmother have passed away. My mum never really spoke about her dad and it was only recently I discovered his name is likely to be Jim. So unfortunately I can't get any further details from my living relatives.

I've plenty of info about my grandmother's family but nothing really about my grandfather. If anybody knows who he might have been, who his family was/is, that would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help shed some light on this mysterious branch of my family tree.

Not much to go on but there are only 3 Dorrian’s listed in the 1943 Belfast St Directory.  2 of which are James.
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/alphanames1943DE.htm

However there is a John Dorrian living at 105 Cullingtree Road , he’s listed as a Driver.
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/ccomplete1951_c.htm

Also there in 1960 as a mechanic
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/ccomplete1960_c.htm

Good luck

Bread Basket

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 01:36:46 PM »
A possibility

Atomic440

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 01:55:25 PM »
Thanks for this! I'm sure it'll be useful in the search.

I was hoping someone might have personally known Dorrians from the area. Maybe someone remembers them!