Author Topic: Cromac Street photos??  (Read 49685 times)

Mark Henry

Cromac Street photos??
« on: February 21, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »
Hi there.  Has anyone got any photos of old Cromac Street?  My great-grandfather owned Henry's pub (later Mooney's) on the junction of Cromac Street & Eliza Street (numbers 98-100).  It's long gone and no one in the family has any pictures of it.  Can anyone oblige??
Thanks,
Mark.

mo chara

Re: Cromac Street photos??
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 08:59:18 PM »
Mark,
   There's a great pen sketch of the pub, by Joe O'Kane, on the Market thread. Many a pint I had in Mooney's then in next door to Tommy Rogers bookies for a wee bet.
Keep your hands up or you'll end up with a face like mine

Mark Henry

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 09:13:10 PM »
Thanks for the lead - indeed it's a nice illustration.  Any photos very welcome too.

ballbreakerone

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 04:35:00 PM »

Mark Henry

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 04:45:59 PM »
That's fantastic!  A wonderful shot, thank you very much.  It gives a great idea of what the pub looked like.  Guessing by the cars, was the photo taken about 1970??
Thanks again for taking the time to post that for me,
Mark.

Mr Bounce

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 11:16:51 PM »
Here is one of our old shop,

harrydunn

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 07:59:42 PM »
seeing the photo of the chickens hanging up outside your shop reminds me of a true story.
my wifes g/father always went to Cromac St for the Xmas turkey one year he hung it up in the backyard as usual and went off to the pub in sandy row for a drink, when he came home the turkey had disappeared he, and two of the daughters were up and down every entry in Sandy row looking for the dirty dog  that stole the turkey, in the end they gave up and went home only to find the turkey cleaned and trussed in the scullery, one of the other daughters who was married and lived on the other side of the street had lifted it whilst he was at the pub and thought she would save her da the trouble.

Mark Henry

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 10:02:04 PM »
What number on Cromac St was your family's shop?

Christopher

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 11:56:35 PM »
Hi mo chara,

That street cleaning team of yours are good.

Could they do something with ballbreakerone's picture too please?

Christopher

strat

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 09:32:04 PM »
Wow!  What a great job you did with the photos!  Well done! O0

Strat

sj

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 01:36:13 PM »
There are lots of Cromac St photos onanother markets thread, ::)
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

Mr Bounce

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 09:50:35 PM »
What number on Cromac St was your family's shop?
I think the corgi was called Tiny and apparently was partial to a saucer of beer in the Rams Head pub.

plucky

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 01:26:31 PM »

Here is Joe McNally outside our fowl shop in cromac st

Mr Bounce

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 08:26:15 PM »
I remember Joe well,a hell of a worker.I remember being in Joes house in Rileys Place as a kid and the thing that i remember he was having a plate of spuds,nothing else just potatoes.Do you remember Joe Mullan,he would have lived in 148,very bad speech maybe deaf,my mother Eileen seemed to understand him but nobody else.Some great photos there Plucky thank you.

plucky

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 04:13:32 PM »
ach i havent stopped thinking about joe from you mentioned him. what a lovely man. i remember he would do wee messages for the shop owners, including my da. i remember he was always in mick hughes and lily murrys grocery shop. his big smile and laugh are what i remember most. he never passed the shop without waving in. nice memories. joe mc nally was best man at my wedding and worked for my da plucking the fowls. i remember girly morgan bringing the irish news in the morning and living beside mcwaters bakery, the lovely smelll of the bread baking in the mornings. good times. do you remember sammy john russells carter yard. ill post a photo for ya. im sure i would know your mum as i remember a lot of people from the markets. cheers O0