Author Topic: Belfast and Dublin  (Read 2887 times)

JohnKelly

Belfast and Dublin
« on: December 26, 2019, 09:25:43 AM »
Interesting as an outsider to read of the modern day economic comparisons,

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50420548

In my day the only time one would travel from Belfast to Dublin would be for a holiday and now a person will travel from Belfast to Dublin to work,

"The 26-year-old lives in Ligoniel, Belfast with her two children and partner, rising at 02:30 GMT to travel down the A1 for her job as cabin crew with Aer Lingus."

Billy Fish

Re: Belfast and Dublin
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 04:56:46 PM »
Dublin was always a 'take on'. Seems it may have bigger problems.  ::)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45804933 
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

jillyfred

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 05:57:54 PM »
The R.O.I.is in general a very expensive experience.

All `Southern areas`in most countries are likewise.They are not `practical`-more sort of `posh`!
They are very clearly a two tiered society.

`Northern ` societies are usually used to `hard graft`and have a very strong work ethic-absent in Southerners worldwide who are by tradition and climate the opposite!!!

However,if someone in N.I.is prepared to get up at that ungodly hour to travel to a job in /Dublin-well fair play to them.
At least they have a work ethic to be admired.

IMHO

jilly

Billy Fish

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 07:24:42 PM »
The R.O.I.is in general a very expensive experience.

All `Southern areas`in most countries are likewise.They are not `practical`-more sort of `posh`!
They are very clearly a two tiered society.

`Northern ` societies are usually used to `hard graft`and have a very strong work ethic-absent in Southerners worldwide who are by tradition and climate the opposite!!!

However,if someone in N.I.is prepared to get up at that ungodly hour to travel to a job in /Dublin-well fair play to them.
At least they have a work ethic to be admired.

IMHO

jilly

O0
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

pflanagan132

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 07:31:26 PM »
Maybe if the Republic had a friendly neighbour throwing the guts of 10 billion over the wall every year they could build a few more houses! Let's hope Bad Boris doesn't pull the plug any time soon :( :( He never would, or would he >:D

syriana

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 09:00:56 PM »
I am British and wish to remain so - which makes me sad that my opinion will probably offend Loyalists posters.  Here goes anyway.  The Republic has developed into a modern European country while Northern Ireland is a bit of a European laughing stock because of our perceived backwardness on almost everything. 

We can't keep on blaming our tribal politicians who appear to be happy to ensure that Northern Ireland remains a backwater as long as they remain in power.  We vote them in for their tribal allegiance and completely ignore their intelligence, business acumen and administrative abilities.  Just step back and have a look at some of the brain-dead politicians we continue to vote into power at every election.

It's a shame because we have good people with a strong work ethic and our young people's school results outperform other UK areas annually.  We have the ability to make our province an enormous economic success - it's regrettable that Northern Irish sectarianism appears to be indestructible.

You are now free to bring on the 'Whataboutery'

No answer is an answer.

Billy Fish

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 09:21:35 PM »
I am British and wish to remain so - which makes me sad that my opinion will probably offend Loyalists posters.  Here goes anyway.  The Republic has developed into a modern European country while Northern Ireland is a bit of a European laughing stock because of our perceived backwardness on almost everything. 

We can't keep on blaming our tribal politicians who appear to be happy to ensure that Northern Ireland remains a backwater as long as they remain in power.  We vote them in for their tribal allegiance and completely ignore their intelligence, business acumen and administrative abilities.  Just step back and have a look at some of the brain-dead politicians we continue to vote into power at every election.

It's a shame because we have good people with a strong work ethic and our young people's school results outperform other UK areas annually.  We have the ability to make our province an enormous economic success - it's regrettable that Northern Irish sectarianism appears to be indestructible.

The 'Free State' may have developed into a  'Modern European country', according to your good self. Unfortunately it's at the cost of the ordinary citizen who now more than anytime in history cannot afford to live there. The 'export' of people from the Free State continues at a pace. The facts cannot be disputed. The amount of beggars, bums and homeless in Dublin are there to be witnessed on a daily basis. Just go and look at Grafton Street or O'Connell Street, bouncers / doormen on every store and shop. Speaks volumes. Walk around those two streets when it becomes dark and the amount of people sleeping rough is quite astounding. Dublin is a con, unfortunately the people cannot see that con, they are too busy getting drunk or high on drugs.  ::)
Support Soldier F

Billy Fish

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 09:27:02 PM »
Maybe if the Republic had a friendly neighbour throwing the guts of 10 billion over the wall every year they could build a few more houses! Let's hope Bad Boris doesn't pull the plug any time soon :( :( He never would, or would he >:D

The Free State as a small insignificant constituent of the EU has claimed every grant going from the EU. It still wasn't enough when in fairly recent times it had to borrow Billions of pounds from the UK.  ::) Lol  :D one thing about the Free State is that they take everything that is 'free', but that free money is never passed onto the ordinary people of the Free State. Tax, charge and more tax.  :D
Support Soldier F

Jack The Kipper

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 07:28:09 AM »
The 'Free State' may have developed into a  'Modern European country', according to your good self. Unfortunately it's at the cost of the ordinary citizen who now more than anytime in history cannot afford to live there. The 'export' of people from the Free State continues at a pace. The facts cannot be disputed. The amount of beggars, bums and homeless in Dublin are there to be witnessed on a daily basis. Just go and look at Grafton Street or O'Connell Street, bouncers / doormen on every store and shop. Speaks volumes. Walk around those two streets when it becomes dark and the amount of people sleeping rough is quite astounding. Dublin is a con, unfortunately the people cannot see that con, they are too busy getting drunk or high on drugs.  ::)

Good god man! you've just described Belfast! .Blinkers?
God Bless President Trump! God Bless Israel....and God Bless Big Rosie up our street!!!

jillyfred

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 01:18:07 PM »
The Free State as a small insignificant constituent of the EU has claimed every grant going from the EU. It still wasn't enough when in fairly recent times it had to borrow Billions of pounds from the UK.  ::) Lol  :D one thing about the Free State is that they take everything that is 'free', but that free money is never passed onto the ordinary people of the Free State. Tax, charge and more tax.  :D
===
====
Corruption personified since pussy was a kitten Billy!!!

LOL

jilly

jillyfred

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 01:19:48 PM »

==
Don`t agree Syriana but respect your personal opinion.
No `Whataboutery`from me!!!

LOL

jilly

MargaretS

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 01:28:08 PM »
Ah, no Dublin actually. Ever been to Dublin ?  :D

I think you have just described Belfast
Have you ever been to Belfast
The crimes of the B specials the R U C the U D R and the British ARMY should never be forgotten   justice for all
no matter how long it takes

Dub

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2019, 11:52:45 PM »
Billy,  can I take it from your posting that you are a frequent visitor to the Dublin?
If you don't read the papers,you are not informed.
When you do read the papers, you are misinformed.  ( Mark Twain. )

Billy Fish

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2019, 07:17:37 AM »
Billy,  can I take it from your posting that you are a frequent visitor to the Dublin?

Very frequently. We have business interests in a few foreign countries.  :)
Support Soldier F

misssmyth1

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 06:06:24 PM »
I read several articles where people stated that they were working in Dublin earning a high salary but living and  buying property in Ni as it was much cheaper  and looking online it is very cheap compared to property in other   parts of the Uk I. also read pls correct me if wrong that the NI people have more disposable income because property was very much more affordable  and salaries had risen .here in London the minimum price for a 1 bed flat in my area{greater london} is around 400 t plus and apparently in Dublin it is similar . we are less than 30 minutes from central London by underground and they run every few minutes and 24 hours  on friday and saturday .  I am 15 minutes from the City which is the banking area . but have travelled for over an hour and a half in my youth  each way to work changing tubes etc thought nothing of it .while  living in different parts of London .in central london  properties  are for the very rich. we were fortunate to have bought sold moved upwards each  time through the years .