Author Topic: Belfast and Dublin  (Read 2850 times)

syriana

Re: Belfast and Dublin
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 07:57:24 PM »
I read several articles where people stated that they were working in Dublin earning a high salary but living and  buying property in Ni as it was much cheaper  and looking online it is very cheap compared to property in other   parts of the Uk I. also read pls correct me if wrong that the NI people have more disposable income because property was very much more affordable  and salaries had risen .here in London the minimum price for a 1 bed flat in my area{greater london} is around 400 t plus and apparently in Dublin it is similar . we are less than 30 minutes from central London by underground and they run every few minutes and 24 hours  on friday and saturday .  I am 15 minutes from the City which is the banking area . but have travelled for over an hour and a half in my youth  each way to work changing tubes etc thought nothing of it .while  living in different parts of London .in central london  properties  are for the very rich. we were fortunate to have bought sold moved upwards each  time through the years .

The Belfast/Dublin train could do with an upgrade and better parking facilities - North/South commuting has increased significantly.  When I lived in Kent I had to commute to Broadway in London for two years - I got quickly used to it.  However, I wouldn't like to do it now the railway system has got more expensive and unreliable.  A friend of mine commutes by rail from Ashford in Kent to Paris five times a week.  He tells me it's less than two hours and comfortable - usually hassle free.  His employer foots the bill.

I'm not sure how Brexit will effect commuting and working in EC countries.
No answer is an answer.

misssmyth1

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 11:02:11 PM »
travel costs are becoming ridiculous they have increased train fares here by 3% i believe this year and there are protests being arranged as people have to stand- not enough seats- trains are cancelled or /and late often  .thank goodness i don't have to do it anymore  at least the tube although always packed in the' rush hour'    it is more like 2   hours morning and evening is quick and convenient. although not perfect.I never had to get a train thank goodness .  . i can understand why people would commute as maybe the jobs are not available in N.I. or they may like the lifestyles that more salary can provide .some said they only went in to work 2 or 3 days a week and worked from home  so cut down on travelling and cost of travel . my husband travelled internationally for 30 years with his job .because that was the nature of his career.
 Dublin has always been more expensive I remember coach loads of people coming for shopping ? when i lived in Belfast .please correct me if wrong as i haven't lived in ireland since 1970.

stickleback

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2020, 07:45:42 AM »
Interesting as an outsider to read of the modern day economic comparisons,

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50420548

In my day the only time one would travel from Belfast to Dublin would be for a holiday and now a person will travel from Belfast to Dublin to work,

"The 26-year-old lives in Ligoniel, Belfast with her two children and partner, rising at 02:30 GMT to travel down the A1 for her job as cabin crew with Aer Lingus."

I think it's pushing it a bit to suggest that Belfast and Dublin are commutersville.

I mean, it's hardly on the London scale, is it ?

I haven't finished, Donna

I don't care. I've got a job to go to.

Where's that then?

Got to go to Dublin. I'll be in Warsaw by the time you get out of bed, Seamus.

Hardly regular, is it ?

jillyfred

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2020, 11:52:54 AM »
Living 25 miles from Newry I can assure you R.O.I. residents still come up to shop in N.I.

They also come for the day and enjoy the South Down coast-many also take the opportunity
to spend a few days as we have good Hotel deals.

They are all most welcome as Tourism is our main industry.

jilly

JackM

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2020, 12:46:27 PM »
Living 25 miles from Newry I can assure you R.O.I. residents still come up to shop in N.I.

They also come for the day and enjoy the South Down coast-many also take the opportunity
to spend a few days as we have good Hotel deals.

They are all most welcome as Tourism is our main industry.

jilly

Personally, I cant understand how the `ordinary person` can afford to live in the Free State ?   ::)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

misssmyth1

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2020, 03:25:12 PM »
thanks jilly thats good.. tourism brings in monies . win win situation for all

sweenytodd

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2020, 06:02:51 PM »
The Best wee Country in The World  The Republic Off Ireland. Populated by  The friendliest People who do not give a rats ass weather you are Catholic Protestant Or Hindu. That is why we all live in harmony, I Know as i am originally from Belfast. Much as i still love The North Off our wee country i think its people and Politicians could Learn a lesson from The South,and all live in harmony  I wish Reading some off this Crap

MargaretS

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2020, 09:43:21 PM »
The Irish are the best loved people in the WORLD

The crimes of the B specials the R U C the U D R and the British ARMY should never be forgotten   justice for all
no matter how long it takes

sweenytodd

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2020, 12:00:03 AM »
Keep it up lads.Defo The wee North

pete57

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2020, 12:08:54 AM »
The Best wee Country in The World  The Republic Off Ireland. Populated by  The friendliest People who do not give a rats ass weather you are Catholic Protestant Or Hindu. That is why we all live in harmony, I Know as i am originally from Belfast. Much as i still love The North Off our wee country i think its people and Politicians could Learn a lesson from The South,and all live in harmony  I wish Reading some off this Crap
more skeletons in the cupboard than john christie.

misssmyth1

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2020, 11:48:23 AM »
good  & bad everywhere i agree totally  no nation is all good or all bad. I have lived in London since 1970 happy here travelled the world  had opportunities i wouldn't have had if i'd stayed in Ni as a female with only 0 levels   .we do what is best for ourselves  i was only 19 when i left  Belfast to come alone  to London   and London  had been good to me and for me .we all live where we want to to try and make a good living and a good life for ourselves and eventually our own   families  .nowhere is perfect ....but we make the best of whatever opportunities come our way. i felt safer here in the 70s than Belfast as well that's why i left in the first place everything else was a bonus...

tours

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2020, 04:50:03 PM »

Billy Fish

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2020, 08:42:03 PM »
good  & bad everywhere i agree totally  no nation is all good or all bad. I have lived in London since 1970 happy here travelled the world  had opportunities i wouldn't have had if i'd stayed in Ni as a female with only 0 levels   .we do what is best for ourselves  i was only 19 when i left  Belfast to come alone  to London   and London  had been good to me and for me .we all live where we want to to try and make a good living and a good life for ourselves and eventually our own   families  .nowhere is perfect ....but we make the best of whatever opportunities come our way. i felt safer here in the 70s than Belfast as well that's why i left in the first place everything else was a bonus...

Great post.  O0
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

Billy Fish

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2020, 08:43:17 PM »
Personally, I cant understand how the `ordinary person` can afford to live in the Free State ?   ::)

Me neither, it stinks.  :D
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.