Author Topic: Belfast and Dublin  (Read 3248 times)

allymac

Re: Belfast and Dublin
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2020, 03:05:39 PM »
Obviously Irish history is not one of poor Billy's strengths :P :P :P . Perhaps he might tell us why he professes to do business with a country and a people he so blatantly despises. ??? ??? ???
Sinn fein do it all the time :o
Support all our servicemen and women either at home or abroad.

CMcG

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2020, 04:31:20 PM »

Sinn fein do it all the time :o

They do.  :(

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Dub

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2020, 09:42:12 PM »
All this rose-tinted glasses generalisation about the Republic of Ireland being the 'best wee country' and pretending that Dublin is some sort of Darby O'Gill Shangri-La is utter delusional nonsense.  :D   Like anywhere else in the world, the Republic of Ireland in general and Dublin in particular has its good bits and bad bits, its people comprise good'uns and bad'uns, and any attempt to portray this otherwise, clearly betrays a 'partisan' slant / agenda.  Let's look at some reality published just a month ago:

Dublin has been ranked the worst city in the world to find a place to live for expats in a new study published on Tuesday. Ireland’s capital was in last place of the 82 cities surveyed in the Expat City Ranking 2019 ... “The cost of living is a turn off, it’s a nightmare to find an apartment to rent and equally so to find good childcare options,” one Brazilian respondent said ... Dublin’s overall ranking was two points worse than London (in 70th place), but scored better in the "urban work life" category for job security and work-life balance. However, London fared better in the quality of life, and finance and housing categories.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/dublin-ranked-the-worst-city-in-the-world-to-move-to-for-housing-1.4102979

In the above 2019 survey (you can see the 2018 and 2017 outcome summaries as well), the few positive rankings for Dublin were in the specific area of jobs (eg. job security, work-life balance) and 'local friendliness', but most of the other rankings were atrocious, including:

- quality of urban living;
- leisure & climate;
- transportation;
- health & environment;
- finance;
- housing;
- cost of living.

Wake up and smell the coffee, Dublin has MAJOR issues ... just like Belfast and London, in fact. But I imagine that I will be regarded as a sectarian bigot by some, for daring to express that view about Dublin.  ::)
CMcG , this is a fair posting and I can't see any fair minded person objecting to your post or regarding you as a  sectarian bigot .
 I have lived in Dublin for over 40 years and have seen the good and the bad bits, like in all major cities, But in general, I have had a very good  and happy life here.  As I said in an earlier posting (which was removed) I have no issues with any of my fellow countrymen and women north or south regardless of creed or colour.  My own family circle have both traditions in it.  There are certain posters in my view  are who unable  to move on and leave their sectarian views to the past.  No doubt there will be some sniping at this posting.

If you don't read the papers,you are not informed.
When you do read the papers, you are misinformed.  ( Mark Twain. )

jillyfred

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2020, 04:46:53 PM »
CMcG , this is a fair posting and I can't see any fair minded person objecting to your post or regarding you as a  sectarian bigot .
 I have lived in Dublin for over 40 years and have seen the good and the bad bits, like in all major cities, But in general, I have had a very good  and happy life here.  As I said in an earlier posting (which was removed) I have no issues with any of my fellow countrymen and women north or south regardless of creed or colour.  My own family circle have both traditions in it.
====
IMHO Dub, yours is also a fair posting, and if it was one endorsed by all right minded people that would be such a
a wonderful thing for all of us.

jilly

henry irwin

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2020, 06:11:09 PM »
  aye if only.

Billy Fish

« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2020, 06:49:50 PM »
Pity people weren't more nosey earlier, with the RHI scheme.
Could have saved £500 million for Education and the Health service. 🙄
Some DUP Spads families projected to earn £6 millilon from it, till the brakes where finally put on....
A new devolved administration will, and should be, more transparent.
Equality and accountability at its centre.
No more spads running the show.

Let's hope Sin Fein / IRA don't spit the dummy out again. Lol  :D
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

Dub

« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2020, 07:23:50 PM »
====
IMHO Dub, yours is also a fair posting, and if it was one endorsed by all right minded people that would be such a
a wonderful thing for all of us.

jilly
Thanks Jilly.
                              All the best, Dub.

pflanagan132

« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2020, 08:37:32 PM »
Can I endorse the posts of Dub and CMcG. fairminded opinions without any of bile all too common on this Forum. Let us also wish well to the new Assembly, not before time. No doubt there are those here who can see no good in it, but they will be left floundering in the backwash.

stickleback

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2020, 12:49:37 AM »
good  & bad everywhere i agree totally  no nation is all good or all bad. I have lived in London since 1970 happy here travelled the world  had opportunities i wouldn't have had if i'd stayed in Ni as a female with only 0 levels   .we do what is best for ourselves  i was only 19 when i left  Belfast to come alone  to London   and London  had been good to me and for me .we all live where we want to to try and make a good living and a good life for ourselves and eventually our own   families  .nowhere is perfect ....but we make the best of whatever opportunities come our way. i felt safer here in the 70s than Belfast as well that's why i left in the first place everything else was a bonus...

You get a hunch for who is going to hack it in the world cities, like London, early on. I knew lots of people from Belfast who came here, some of them real characters ( in their own imaginations). Within months you could see they weren't quite the characters they thought they were. They resorted to getting drunk on a daily basis and many resorted to drugs, dreaming that they were living the life whilst basically being on an extended holiday. London is an unforgiving city. Fools are tolerated in the knowledge they rarely last. A year later they're back in Belfast, acting like they're all worldly, knowing zed all about London. It's an endless city, London. I'm reading Peter Ackroyd's amazing book London right now and the deeper city, the history of the place, is much more interesting to me these days than the frilly bright lights. Missy has twenty years on me because I 'only ' came here thirty years ago, but the strange thing is I only really got to know London over the last couple of years. I pick something I want to see, then just keep walking without a clue where I'm going. I know I won't get lost and you're never more than 20 minutes from a tube station. Another thing I do is, I read lots of London writers. I particularly like the old writers from the 50's and 60's. The city has greatly changed since those days but I like the ghostwalks, thinking about the characters and voices of yesteryear.

henry irwin

« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2020, 12:09:02 PM »
aye.

Orior

« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2020, 07:00:32 PM »
I think you have just described Belfast
Have you ever been to Belfast

lol
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

syriana

« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2020, 11:12:06 PM »
Anybody else out there fed up to the teeth reading and listening to ‘Whataboutery?’

The late David Ervine once quipped, “I don’t want to wake up every morning and say to myself, “Am I British, or am I Irish? - I want to think, “Will I be late for work?”.

No answer is an answer.

Dub

« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2020, 11:57:18 PM »
Anybody else out there fed up to the teeth reading and listening to ‘Whataboutery?’

The late David Ervine once quipped, “I don’t want to wake up every morning and say to myself, “Am I British, or am I Irish? - I want to think, “Will I be late for work?”.

Syriana, so true. David Ervine was a man I had respect for, He died too young.

JohnKelly

« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2020, 09:26:32 AM »

Why would you worry, let them be what they want to be, you can be anything you want on the internet and some of them could be neither British or Irish. :)

Although in real life when I am in company with a group of Brits and Irish and we ask where each of us is from, without exception all will say , England, Ireland, Wales or Scotland, I have yet to hear anyone say in such company, "I'm British" ???